1964 Moulton bicycle - full suspension and in need of TLC

A place for those keen on vintage and retro bikes - steel is real.
marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 09 Nov 2015, 19:35

I've been looking for a small wheeled Moulton bicycle for at least 12 years. Unfortunately others been doing the same and so prices for pretty pathetic examples have skyrocketed in recent years, which kept me out of contention. By total surprise I found one I could afford, which I bought this week on Ebay for a modest $132. They usually go for much higher and in worse condition.

For those who have no idea what a Moulton is, watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5e46nDg5Y

Alec Moulton (1920-2012) is famous for designing both the hydrolastic and rubber suspension for the original Mini and of course, the Moulton bike. Trendy in the 1960s and still holds the unpaced cycling record over 200m (conventional riding position with aero fairing) set in 1985. The speed attained was 50.21mph (80.79kph)

In Australia, Moultons were sold by Malvern Star between the early 60s to about 1970. Most Malvern Star Moultons (Mark 1) I've seen in Australia are usually ungeared. Specifically bought this because it has a Sturmey Archer 3 speed internal hub. More info on the different Mk1 models here: http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/1940s/1960 ... st-series/

Looks like all it's bits are in place, with exception of it's front rack and the white 'plastic' (?) chain ring thingey. Tyres look original (Dunlop Atlantic 16") and worse for wear. Rust has taken hold of most parts, which is a pity, but the frame is structurally good. Aesthetically it needs a good repaint. In two minds which way to go at the moment. The original paint looks like what was called 'Polychromatic Kingfisher Blue'. The mudguards were originally chromed.

Comes with a 3 speed Sturmey Archer gear. The frame appears to indicate it was built in April 1964 but the Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub says 1966, so assume this bike was sold some time in 1966.

Return to “Vintage Bicycles”