Tempetation Fixie Century photoreport

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Huw

Postby Huw » 04 Nov 2007, 23:35

Today I had one of the best cycling days in a long while - right up there with long training rides for the Grafton!

On Saturday afternoon, caught the train to Moss Vale with Matt, Eugen, Julian, Peter and Lindsay. In Moss Vale it was quite cool, with mist that got deeper as we rode to the hotel in Bundanoon.
Just arrived in Bundanoon; Julian and Eugen in the fog

Matt

Bundanoon Hotel, our lodging for the night. With the swirling mist and Tudor-style architecture, half of us were expecting to have to solve a Cluedo-style murder sometime in the wee morning hours!

Fog swirling around the trees and hedges

Everyone had a great big dinner, washed down with a couple of glasses of their favourite drink. Lightning flashed outside the window, and we all crossed our fingers that tomorrow's weather report (for showers) would be wrong. After a few tall stories, and some decent calorie loading, we hit the sack and drifted off to sleep.

This morning we got up at 7 and hung around in various states of consciousness until breakfast. I didn't bother with the ordinary old weet-bix; I went straight for the greasy stuff: raisin toast, coffee, scrambled eggs and hash browns.

Thirteen of us milled around in the parking area of the hotel, giving our bikes a check-over, getting tyre pressures just right, squinting into the morning sun, telling more tall stories. It was windy, not just gusty, but good and windy, ... but no sign of rain at all! Even better, that wind would be a tail wind! How good could it get?

Thirteen - an unlucky number? READ ON and judge for yourself!

Julian making one-last check

Then, off we went!

Lindsay gave the morning a hearty thumbs-up

Peter (aka fixedgear) enjoying the morning on his impressive veteran Falcon Black-Diamond

Here and there we stopped; checking directions or waiting for others to regroup.

Grant; our fearless organiser and leader

Simon, Ross, Lindsay

Peter, headed for Bowral

We hit Bowral (km 40) and stopped for coffee. It was a really beautiful day, and everyone knew it.

Yes, Simon, I am gonna take a photo

Ross

We set off again. After Bowral, the hills got a bit bigger - and the descents a bit faster.

Descent outside of Bowral

More map checkin'

Steve, a ring-in from outside the club, was not having a good day with his saddle. He padded it out with a semi-inflated old tube and wrapped it up tight with masking tape.

Lindsay rolling along

Heading under the freeway

Grant, on the way to lunch in Picton

We stopped in Picton for lunch. Some opted for the greasiest thing they could find, while other, perhaps wiser folk went for something a bit lighter on the stomach. After all, in the back of everyone's mind was the fact that, just out of town, lay RAZORBACK, the big climb of the day. A half-kilo burger-n-chips combo probably isn't going to help anyone up any climb in a hurry!

Lunch stop, Picton (km 90)

Some charming young men of the peleton

RAZORBACK. Yes, it's actually called that! The road-signs say so! When I first heard the name I figured it was a nickname for probably the most hellish climb this side of the Gibraltar Range. After Picton, the road headed up, then down for a fair stretch. Four kilometres out of town, heading along Old Razorback Road, we hit the climb. On dirt. It was every man for himself.

Some succeeded with the slow grind. Others succeeded with a direct and aggressive high-energy frontal attack. Still others used more novel methods, like Eugen who reduced the gradient by riding zig-zags across the road. It was hot and dusty and steep, but everyone succeeded.

Looking down the Old Razorback Road dirt climb

Lindsay, grinding up RAZORBACK like a cheap pole dancer...

... and enjoying every last inch of it!!

View from the top of RAZORBACK

Having conquered RAZORBACK (and the challenging descent), the group rolled along, satisfied that nothing could stand in the way of its quest to reach Tempe.

Soon enough, we found ourselves riding through bigger and bigger towns. The number of cars (especially those driven by annoying teenagers screaming barnyard noises out their borrowed cars windows) started to really increase. We'd left the country behind, and were now in a rolling pattern of shops, industrial estates, suburbs.

There was also a sharp increase in the amount of broken glass and other roadside nasties. Here's Grant and Lindsay stopped to fix a puncture.

We hit the M5 motorway. Aside from the shattered glass, and soul-shattering traffic, the road was smooth as glass. And who notices the traffic when you're surrounded by your cycling buddies? Actually, after 140 km of fixed-gear madness, everyone was feeling fatigued at this point.

Approaching the M5 toll-gates

Then, my trusted machine succumbed to the constant onslaught of roadside debris. I punctured hard - the air rushing out, and I felt the rim within a couple of wheel rotations. I was very grateful to Grant who stuck around and lent a hand. Pretty much everyone else had disappeared off the front, so we rode on together, when another tube punctured - this time on Grant's bike. It was worth a laugh as we stopped, fixed it, and got on our way again. By now, everyone was a good five minutes in front.

But wait, what was that noise? Another bloody puncture! Not even five minutes since the last one! Things were looking serious as I fished out my last of two new tubes and Grant fixed his wheel. As he did, a quick inspection of my wheel revealed a huge sidewall cut, with the tube bulging out. This was just the icing on a very sarcastic cake, I thought, as I began fishing in my pockets for a wrapper or something to make a boot from. As Grant began inflating his new-fixed tyre and I settled on an old Cookies-n-cream Powerbar wrapper, my tube exploded, and we were left stranded. Neither of us had anymore patches or tubes, and we were stuffed. Stranded on the M5. km ~160?

Grant, calling to ask Gillian to come and pick us up

We'd lost a lot of time. It was now pushing 5 o'clock as we waited for Gill to save us. We were lucky to have stopped right in an emergency stopping bay, so we had some space from the constant traffic. Grant pulled out the jelly snakes and we chatted away, until we realised where we'd stopped. We didn't believe it. Emergency stopping bay number 13!

Grant, "looking on the bright-side"; at least we had Gill to save us!

So that was it. Gill picked us up. We loaded the bikes into the car. We drove to Tempe velodrome. A less than ideal (but still pretty good) end to a ripper of a day on fixies!

The mythical Tempe velodrome
Last edited by Huw on 05 Nov 2007, 10:42, edited 1 time in total.

timyone

Postby timyone » 05 Nov 2007, 01:36

man thanx for the rap up!!!
ill seriously think about this ride next year!
man that seriously sux about the punctures?! and people wonder why i stay on the track!?!!

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 05 Nov 2007, 07:05

Great pictures Huw, shame about the flats

Grant Bond

Postby Grant Bond » 05 Nov 2007, 08:04

"Lindsay was grinding like a cheap pole dancer and enjoying every moment of it"

I will never be able to grind up a hill without that line putting a smile on my face.

Comedy Gold!

Great photo esaay Huw...my version of events to come.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 05 Nov 2007, 08:37

Ouch, shame about the puncture and tyre failure. Something to work towards for next year.

What time did the bunch get to Tempe? We rode past there around 3:15pm and were too exhausted to drop in. Just had to head straight for home.

Eugen Schilter

Postby Eugen Schilter » 05 Nov 2007, 09:20

160k fixie tests every man's legs, even with all that tail wind. Slept like a stone tonight and the legs still heavy this morning. Thanks Grant and Lindsay for organising, and with beautiful certificat of completion. Steve I believe was the rider on the straigt handlebared, padded saddle machine.

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 05 Nov 2007, 09:56

Great report and photos Huw!
I'm instanely regretful I couldn't make it. Will this become an annual event? I'm hoping so.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 05 Nov 2007, 10:30

What I want to know is this, how come Lindsay was carrying so little extra gear?

Huw

Postby Huw » 05 Nov 2007, 10:47

Steve I believe was the rider on the straigt handlebared, padded saddle machine.
Thanks Eugen - I edited the story to include this.

matt

Postby matt » 05 Nov 2007, 12:13

Grant and Huw, sorry to hear about your tyre dramas yesterday, I rolled by just as you two got that first flat, but didn't even register until i was well past. i think i was too busy suffering by that stage. and ended up giving one of my spare tubes away anyway. There was some nasty debris on the M5.

Great photo report, I can't believe how quickly you posted it. I think I passed out at about 8 last night.

lindsay

Postby lindsay » 05 Nov 2007, 20:08

What time did the bunch get to Tempe?
Weiyun - I got there at 4:30pm in a second group of riders. I would say Simon & co would have been about 15 minutes in front.

I'd like to say a big thankyou to Grant for the fantastic course he put together for us. It was perfect for our event with lots of quite country roads, was a challenge with Razor Back & the dirt to make us feel like fixie heros and a very accurate booklet of instructions. He really put alot of effort into it & made the event spot on for us. Also Keven Llewellyn for being the van driver for the event & toting our bags from A to B. And finally Lionel Cox for his support and signing our certificates.

PS - with the success of this one I've got the feeling it'll be getting bigger... So if you don't have your fixie already you'd better get fixie-ing-ing.

fixedgear

Postby fixedgear » 06 Nov 2007, 13:07

Thanks to all at DHBC for the organisation of this great event. I had a great time, despite as it turned out being somewhat undergeared with a 65" gear for the tail wind assisted pace on the downhills and flats.

I'll be back for next years event for sure.

Garthy

Postby Garthy » 09 Nov 2007, 08:29

Hi,
Great effort with the ride and with the photos. I had a great time, I reckon these fixed gear bikes are the go for a longish flatish ride. Once you reach kind of max speed there's not a lot else you can do really is there, just spin away, with gears you might be able to go a bit quicker but with more effort....

Garth

Return to “Road”