Looking for a new bike or frame?

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
Daryl

Postby Daryl » 03 Oct 2008, 16:29

Was looking around at a few cycling websites and found this website for Competitive Cyclist (http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=SPECIALS)

A few 2007/2008 frame and complete kit stock for Colnago, Ridley, Pinarello, and BMC. They are based in the US but not sure of how their prices compare to the ones we can get here.

Happy shopping!

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 03 Oct 2008, 16:42

Cheaper but shipping and custom charges will get you.

One other important issue. Bicycle frame warranties don't usually cross national borders. So you'll be effectively buying a frame without warranty. Of course, you can always send it back to the US for warranty claims but that's a lot of work.

timyone

Postby timyone » 03 Oct 2008, 16:44

yeah every one seems to buy complete bikes from actual shops for that sorta thing.
Well except for jimmy! (TBONE) did any one else get to feel how light his handle bars were?! seriously they were as light as a pair of siscors!!!

Daryl

Postby Daryl » 03 Oct 2008, 17:19

Good point.

I think I'll have to continue saving for a new bike. Such a big price jump from aluminum frames to carbon frames. Not sure if I'll compromise and get a better aluminum frame with better components. Will have to check with the CFO at home when the time comes. :lol:

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 03 Oct 2008, 17:32

The other option is to look on eBay for secondhand bikes/frames. As the resale value of bikes is very low, you can get some good bargains. It's a matter of patience and strike resolutely when the opportunity surfaces.

The decision on whole bike vs frame is a hard one. It all depends on your luck, what parts you already have lying around and what specific models you want.

Good luck!

Return to “Conversation”