Omnium 24th Januray @ 4pm

For all things Velodrome
Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 10 Jan 2009, 10:38

G'day guys & girls, as me & Lindsay will be away for the whole of Feb on our way to Melbourne & Tassie touring there will be no omnium. Instead we have decided to run a late one in January & return to the normal schedule at the start of March & I"ve decided in summer to start running them a bit later in the day to avoid the heat.

So the omnium will be:

Where: Tempe velodrome
When: Saturday 24th of January 2009
What time: Starts at 4pm, gates will probably open half an hour earlier.
Who can come: Everyone! There will be something for everyone, we will have a training styled event for beginners, however due to increasing numbers the racing will be limited to those with a racing licence due to insurance purposes.

Will there be a BBQ? Well it really depends on interest levels....

NOOG

Postby NOOG » 22 Jan 2009, 16:01

AAGH! I was banking on a Feb. Omnium to give me time to get my fitness back up. I just got back into town today...I guess we'll see how much 4 weeks of Cuban rum and cigars took out of my fitness.

timyone

Postby timyone » 22 Jan 2009, 23:04

Man im pumped for this :D ill probably be riding on my new wheels :D

Tom Rayner

Postby Tom Rayner » 23 Jan 2009, 11:46

Looks like rain (and heat):
http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDN10064.shtml

Forecast for Saturday
A few showers developing in the afternoon or evening. Chance afternoon thunderstorm. Light to moderate west to northwest winds, ahead of a gusty, cooler southerly change in the afternoon. Coastal seabreezes ahead of the change.

Precis: Showers developing, chance thunderstorm.
City: Min: 23 Max: 35
West: Min: 22 Max: 39

timyone

Postby timyone » 23 Jan 2009, 12:44

well the rain could suck :S so could the heat, lucky we start at 4!
though if its raining in the arvo, it could start at 4?!

Tom Rayner

Postby Tom Rayner » 23 Jan 2009, 15:31

Yeah, it's not like it's hot at 4pm...

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 23 Jan 2009, 18:08

Hey guys the omnium will be on rain hail or shine but it will be rollers with either a bbq or we will go to the pub for dinner if it rains....

geoffs

Postby geoffs » 23 Jan 2009, 21:10

why the change from a ride-it license to a race licence being required for our own club event?

shrubb face

Postby shrubb face » 23 Jan 2009, 22:33

ill be there no matter the weather, although I may be asleep in the corner.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 23 Jan 2009, 22:51

why the change from a ride-it license to a race licence being required for our own club event?
The problem is & correct me if I'm wrong because I"m no expert, the ride it license covers you for all training events run by the club and we have been promoting the omniums as a training event but they are becoming too popular too keep doing this. We would probably get away with it if it was only DHBC racing but at the boxing day event we also had riders from Bicisport & Lidcombe attend, all women in fact. I've decided that based on insurance we are going to have to start officiating our events soon...

Here's what QLD cycling have to say:

Ride It provides recreational and novice cyclists with friendly events in a
professionally operated and managed setting. An emphasis on the core values of personal challenges, participation with others and fun will direct the events and provide a social and enjoyable experience. Any type of bike may be used providing it is roadworthy, has two independent hand brakes, and the riders wear an approved helmet. The Ride It licence will allow cyclists to participate in events run by clubs or promoters for the sole reason of just ‘having a ride’. This licence also covers the cyclist for 12 months public liability insurance, which includes training rides. Each
Ride It member receives a backpack with water bottle and a pair of cycling socks amongst other goodies.

& Carnegie Caulfield:

Ride it Licenses

Not ready to start racing just yet? A Ride it License may be for you

Many cyclists are reluctant to take the step from recreational rider to joining a cycling club for fear that their cycling skills are not adequate. The Ride It Licence is the perfect product to allow us to introduce new members into the cycling club atmosphere through a range of participation rides and skill based training programs. It is a non-competitive licence allowing cyclists to participate in events run by clubs or promoters for the sole reason of just ‘having a ride’.

The Ride It Licence has been available for the past few years, however the benefits of the licence have significantly increased recently, making the product exceptional value. The benefits of the Ride It Licence are as follows -

Insurance Cover

Comprehensive, around the clock insurance coverage during logged training or social riding (individual and/or group) including organised events.

Cover includes:

* Personal Accident
* $20m Public Liability
* Third Party
* Medical expenses
* Loss of income

Access

The Ride It Licence offers you more than just great insurance. You will have the opportunity to develop your cycling through the following -

* Introductory cycling skills programs (eg. J Cycle, Skill Cycle)
* Experienced accredited coaches
* Cyclo Sportif mass participation rides at discount rates
* DISC velodrome training options
* CycleSport Victoria website ‘Coaches Corner’
* Competitive licence upgrade options

Tom Rayner

Postby Tom Rayner » 25 Jan 2009, 14:44

So, did you guys race? I decided to stay in the shade.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 26 Jan 2009, 13:51

So, did you guys race? I decided to stay in the shade.
YEP - It was hot and windy! It wasn't exactly a 4pm start. It was probably 5.30 before we all got the energy to warm up....but it was still a good day. A couple of very short Video's will be posted on the forum when Stuart gets back. Thank you to Warren for filming.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 03 Feb 2009, 10:00

OK all the video's are now posted to the DHBC web site videos page - just click this link for video of New Riders race, the girls races and a men's race.

Return to “Track”