Crash or Throw? The Bos show...

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 21 Apr 2009, 07:04

Hey guys did you guys see this? It was a crash which involved what looks like Theo Bos throwing the race leader into the barriers. The commentator gets a bit over excited and judgemental but its hard to deny that it looks rather bad...

It's at about 3mins to 3:30mins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoEd0w-BmfI

& in slow motion...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8K_7bJQaaI

Pretty crazy, maybe he should have just stuck to track riding?

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 21 Apr 2009, 07:29

Yes, saw it yesterday. Bos is the new kid on the block, right?

timyone

Postby timyone » 21 Apr 2009, 08:31

What the?! was there a result from this?! thats crazy! and he took him self out in the process?! Since when has boss been on the road? is this why he has slowly disapeared?

(lol yeah boss is the new boy on the block :D but also some how on my top 5 list of riders on face book :D

othy

Postby othy » 21 Apr 2009, 08:32

It looks like Bos was boxed in and trying to slow down by touching the rider (perhaps he forgot he had brakes). He then loses it, starts going down and tried to grab whatever he could to maintain balance. Not the most well thought out move but I don't think there was any malice in his actions.

timyone

Postby timyone » 21 Apr 2009, 08:33

speaking of, heres the line we should be doing for our flying 200's at tempe. Its not miles off what we do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnOSKYezZ-Q

timyone

Postby timyone » 21 Apr 2009, 08:56

ok not related, but this guy throws a bottle at the commonsair.
(mario cipolini?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4XxCZag ... -fresh+div

Terry

Postby Terry » 21 Apr 2009, 21:24

I came across a site called thecyclingshow.com on Sydney Which has Theo's responseto the allegtions that he intentionally caused tthe crash. his explanations sound resonable and it would be good if there was some other camera angles to prove his point.

timyone

Postby timyone » 21 Apr 2009, 21:38

wow nice find terry (any reason why you didnt copy and paste the responce from your link? ill paste it) Sorry there is swearing in this responce.

This is really making me sick
Theo Bos, 20 Apr 2009 (transl.: tedvdw)

The reactions to the crash in the Tour of Turkey are no laughing matter. On Youtube you can see how I seem to intentionally cause a crash. Even Lance Armstrong makes it known that I should be suspended for a long time. A reaction which I fully understand after seeing the images and hearing the accompanying commentary.

Of course I also watched them myself, over and over. It is difficult to see in the view from above, it seems as though I pull him off his bike. However, I am completely boxed in there while being pushed into the barriers on the left and, as a reflex, the one thing I do is to make an ultimate attempt trying to keep him away from me. At that moment the only option, precisely to prevent the crash. I think I then hit a barrier foot with my front wheel and go crashing down immediately, together with Impey.

Anyone who knows me well, knows that I would never intentionally take the risk to cause a crash this way. Why should I: I take myself out as well. For years I have been a track sprinter at the highest level. Keirin is notorious for its pushing and pulling, the taking of risks. But do note: in those circles I am not known as a sprinter who takes extreme risks. In Japan this even earned me my nickname. It is not in my character. This is really making me sick.

For my transition from the track to the road I deliberately chose Rabobank's continental team. To learn the trade out of the limelight. I am not looking forward to being known for this. Naturally, I also told my story to Barloworld. I really feel sorry for Impey and have indicated to the team that I would like to discuss it with him, to tell my side of things. I have no reason to walk away from him but understand that he is angry.

I feel like *censored* for having become headline news in this way. As a sportsman, I want to show that I am a different man. This is bugging me. I hope that there is more footage. Perhaps those videos can be viewed side by side and analysed frame by frame. I would give everything to prove that this was not my fault. It was never my intention. Not even in the heat of the battle. I will have to convince everyone that I win my sprints differently. I love this sport. Sport is on the cutting edge. Fair play is part of that in every way. It is never worth going beyond that!

timyone

Postby timyone » 21 Apr 2009, 21:41

ohok, yeah i can see how that could have happened, i paused it, and it looked like the fence moved as he grabbed him. And he hit the fence before pulling him.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 22 Apr 2009, 22:42

oh ok, yeah i can see how that could have happened, I paused it, and it looked like the fence moved as he grabbed him. And he hit the fence before pulling him.
I can't agree with that - it looks for all the world like he just reached and grabbed him before he hit the barrier and its (the fence) actually curving away from him there - it's a fair way away from him but it seems like a strange thing to do. Surely he should have just kept his hands on the bars?

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 23 Apr 2009, 00:28

Really he should have kept the hands on the bars, but, when you're about to crash, you don't think of those things, you try to stay up. The fence wasn't straight, so it is possible he hit it, but from the footage you can't really see what happened, as they only come into view when they're about to crash, no leadup showing why Bos may have put his hand on Impey.

I don't think it was intentional, and most likely people would have called it a bad crash if he had just riden into the side of Impey with the same result, it's just the hand resting on him, and the commentry that seems to twist it. Of course, this is just the way i see it.

timyone

Postby timyone » 23 Apr 2009, 09:51

I can't agree with that - it looks for all the world like he just reached and grabbed him before he hit the barrier and its (the fence) actually curving away from him there - it's a fair way away from him but it seems like a strange thing to do. Surely he should have just kept his hands on the bars?
yeah, the big question is would you take your self out like that to take out the leader? he pulls him right into his own bike! im thinking the only reason id be reaching like that is if i had just clipped a pedal and was goin down.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 23 Apr 2009, 09:55

Issue is, there's no obvious motive for Bos to do that. Would it have improved his team mate's standing? Would it have improved his own standing? Was there bad blood b/n the two prior to the event? It has been no in all cases. It really is most likely to be a case of unintentional foul. Bad sportsmanship yes but intentional no.

Return to “Road”