DHBC training/event calendar

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
weiyun

Postby weiyun » 30 Jun 2009, 18:20

I've just put together a calendar of regular DHBC events for all. It's provisioned through Google Calendar and the following URL can be imported in any of the iCal format compatible calendar apps out there ie. Most online/offline calendar.

http://www.google.com/calendar/ical/ilv ... /basic.ics

As this is only a trial, it would be good to discuss the value and feature extensions of this facility.

For a start, I would think that those with special interests (?Simon/James/Lindsay) can collaborate on entering more events to this basic listing eg. Omnium, RAW, AGM, special rides etc. If you PM your email address (not sure if it's only available for Gmail users), I'll be able to activate joint management authority on the calendar.

Toff

Postby Toff » 30 Jun 2009, 21:45

Funny you should mention this.

Geoff S suggested this to me a while back, but June is always a chaotic month for me, so I wasn't able to do much about it. I did draft a calendar that can be imported into the website without all the drawbacks of the Google version.

here is the (not yet updated) version.

Features I liked were:
- No individual login required. If you know the password you can update the calendar.
- Hyperlinks to the event, or to a popup display giving you more info.
- Colour coding of events based on categories.
- Search and filter of events.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 30 Jun 2009, 22:51

Does Calendar.net's service provide for Outlook/iCal/Google/Yahoo integration? The nice thing about Google's or any of the calDAV compatible services is that the items can be sync'ed into one's regular diary application and potentially edited without jumping to another web site or interface.
Last edited by weiyun on 30 Jun 2009, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.

Toff

Postby Toff » 30 Jun 2009, 22:54

No idea. I chose it because it should be easy to embed straight into the DHBC website and anyone with the password can update it. I'll investigate.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 30 Jun 2009, 23:02

If Calendar.net doesn't support calDAV function, then these two really serve two different markets. I'd also check how easy it is to export the calendar data out of the service, just in case the company goes under at some point. I know that Google's service permits data export in iCal format and can the file can be easily imported to any of the major calendar applications.

In terms of colour and categorization, I understand that's doable if we set up a dedicated DHBC account and create different calendars for the various disciplines. However, given the size of the club and desire to encourage cross activities, it may not be a bad idea to keep them together.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 01 Jul 2009, 10:25

An update.

The Google Calendar can indeed be embedded on any web site by HTML or URL.

http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?sr ... lia/Sydney

Code: Select all

Code removed. See post below.
Stuart, are you able to see if this can be embedded on our site? It may not be perfect but would be worth testing it out.
Last edited by weiyun on 01 Jul 2009, 17:12, edited 2 times in total.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 01 Jul 2009, 16:24

Another update:

I've created a dedicated club acct on Google and have generated different categories with individual colours.

For folks with electronic calendars and iCal support, these URLs can be directly imported.

DHBC general events:
http://www.google.com/calendar/ical/dul ... /basic.ics
Road:
http://www.google.com/calendar/ical/346 ... /basic.ics
Road racing:
http://www.google.com/calendar/ical/37c ... /basic.ics
Track:
http://www.google.com/calendar/ical/jei ... /basic.ics
Track racing:
http://www.google.com/calendar/ical/oms ... /basic.ics
External Events:
http://www.google.com/calendar/ical/sr1 ... /basic.ics

The whole calendar can be embedded on our site with the following,

Code: Select all

<iframe src="https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?height=600&wkst=2&bgcolor=%23FFFFFF&src=dulwichhillbc%40gmail.com&color=%23A32929&src=346fo113atd3dgckk643u7q63c%40group.calendar.google.com&color=%232952A3&src=37ch6vs9t9cqqr5s32on96kgdk%40group.calendar.google.com&color=%231B887A&src=jeitnp124b695e9sbskncfha30%40group.calendar.google.com&color=%23BE6D00&src=oms98eq6f5g9m4ng7uk4itlo84%40group.calendar.google.com&color=%230D7813&src=sr1j4om2ig57a5ndd06fhu8ds8%40group.calendar.google.com&color=%238D6F47&ctz=Australia%2FSydney" style=" border-width:0 " width="800" height="600" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
Last edited by weiyun on 01 Jul 2009, 22:31, edited 2 times in total.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 01 Jul 2009, 17:40

Stuart, are you able to see if this can be embedded on our site? It may not be perfect but would be worth testing it out.
I will indeed be looking at this for the "new" site that I am planning. Plans not very solid at this stage but mostly involve ditching the crappy content creation software we currently use and replacing it with a combination of FOSS tools. This may also necessitate a change of ISP. I intend to chat with Simon and Chris re the website on Sat night (possibly) and convene some design meetings with interested and capable people, starting in the next few weeks (as work pressure allows).

Meantime, I'll see if we can embed the calendar into a current page on the website.

I do like the slick interface of the Google Calendars and as they are doing the development, it may be easier for us to use them, although the links to the website are useful in Chris's version. Lets talk but I'm leaning towards Google.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 01 Jul 2009, 18:02

See my latest entries Stuart.

The graphic shown above is the exact appearance when the link is embedded into a web page. The fact that multiple people can collaboratively maintain this calendar through calDAV supported calendars is a plus ie. Directly modify this calendar through your regular personal/work calendar interface such as Outlook/iCal or Google Calendar. And I don't think Google will go down any time soon and don't foresee any charges being applied.

Anyway, I've added a few more road race events based on what JamesF listed in his post. I suggest that people should try it out and see.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 01 Jul 2009, 19:36

I've just imported all the stage info for Tour de France 2009 in the 'External Events' calendar category of our trial calendar... So use it! ;)
It features the basic information of where each day's stage starts and finishes, but the notes include the departure times for caravane and riders, the estimated average speed, the ETA at the finish line, and a list of the climbs and sprints for each stage - with locations, distances and gradients where appropriate.
http://skangerland.blogspot.com/2009/06 ... nload.html

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 15 Jul 2009, 13:32

The Google Calendar is now embedded in the website. there is a link the navigator menu - Rides Races Calendar and also in the Rides section on the Homepage.

BTW - The link to the Sat Slowies entry contains a typo.

Weiyun - can you post links to the calendars themselves along with the iCal feeds (original calendar links are broken as I assume you deleted the calendars) and who has access to update / add / modify these entries? I need one created for social events or should that just go into the DHBC one?

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 15 Jul 2009, 15:19

The Google Calendar is now embedded in the website. there is a link the navigator menu - Rides Races Calendar and also in the Rides section on the Homepage.

BTW - The link to the Sat Slowies entry contains a typo.

Weiyun - can you post links to the calendars themselves along with the iCal feeds (original calendar links are broken as I assume you deleted the calendars) and who has access to update / add / modify these entries? I need one created for social events or should that just go into the DHBC one?
URL typo in Sat Slowies entry fixed.

I have considered a social category but thought that given the limited number of events, it's probably better to let it go into that DHBC category. I think the DHBC category can be a catch all category for all general club events eg. AGM, social activities, Sat Slowies and other general rides.

The present trial calendar was created using a Gmail account I created for this exact purpose and I'll PM you the ID and PW for it. Otherwise, if you enter your private Gmail account in the sharing setting and give it the appropriate authority, you'll be able to directly edit entries from your own calendar account or compatible standalone calendar app.

Let me know how you find it.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 15 Jul 2009, 21:25

Bloody brilliant,

This looks really good!!!!!

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 15 Jul 2009, 21:40

In the short term and until more are involved in the maintenance of this calendar, just let me know if there's any internal/external events that you'd like to add.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 16 Jul 2009, 09:35

In the short term and until more are involved in the maintenance of this calendar, just let me know if there's any internal/external events that you'd like to add.
Thanks for volunteering as the calendar updater Weiyun!

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 17 Jul 2009, 08:46

Weiyun, this is awesome!! Well done!

Toff

Postby Toff » 17 Jul 2009, 11:22

Hey Weiyun, can you create a new category for the date that entries close for race events, etc.?

It would be good for people to know when the critical cutoffs are.

Otherwise, I think it's exactly what I was hoping to create. Nice...

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 17 Jul 2009, 11:50

Race entry closing date is probably better entered as a To-Do item. Previously I did think about throwing in an extra category but that'll mean 2 entries in the calendar for every event. Not only will it be doubling the work but will start to clutter up the screen with way too many entries. And to sustain this feature, we should aim to minimise the maintenance workload. Otherwise I have entered the closing date in as many race events as possible and users may care to enter them in their private diary for their chosen events.

If you guys feel strongly about an extra category, then I'll put it on and see how it works out. if so, Stuart will also need to make some adjustments to the page to allow the new category to show up.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 17 Jul 2009, 13:22

I have added MTB as an extra category but it won't be reflected until Stuart has a chance to update the embedded HTML for the calendar.

Stuart, I've PM'ed you with the updated HTML code.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 18 Jul 2009, 20:09

Update applied

orphic

Postby orphic » 20 Nov 2009, 10:41

Who updates this calendar? Weiyun?

Lots of track events that DHBC are competing in over the next month that would be worthwhile putting in there...

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 20 Nov 2009, 11:03

Who updates this calendar? Weiyun?

Lots of track events that DHBC are competing in over the next month that would be worthwhile putting in there...
To date I've been entering entries when I see them mentioned on the forum. But the way I set it up and chose Google Calendar was to allow a number of interested parties to subscribe and communally maintain the content... Still waiting. ;)

So if you are interested in helping out, let me know and I'll send you the instructions and give you the edit authority. I have it set up so that I can edit those entries either through my personal Google Calendar on the web or via electronic diary on the Mac.

orphic

Postby orphic » 20 Nov 2009, 12:41

Yeah I can help out. Send me the details.

I use Google calendar for myself anyway.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 20 Nov 2009, 14:33

Thanks V.

timyone

Postby timyone » 22 Nov 2009, 21:06

hey a possibility for training is the randwick tuesday and thursdays to be put down, its a good option for any one riding any thing more than track.
6am at the racecourse entrance to centenial

timyone

Postby timyone » 22 Nov 2009, 21:17

hey i love this callender, but think we need to some how add a big icon thing for it on the forum index page.

check out the www.oroadsports.com

its a motor bike forum and some how the main page has all that stuff on it as well as the index, it looks heaps nice. The callender they have is updated by people posting rides up in a rides tread, then i think either the mods, or it some how happens automatically, add the rides in to the callender.

Return to “Conversation”