Mutual Community Challenge Tour

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
Julio

Postby Julio » 10 Nov 2009, 07:53

Date: Friday 22 January 2010
Start and Finish: Norwood to Goolwa
Race Distance: 160.5km includes Santos Tour Down Under stage distance of 149.5km plus 11km race neutral

http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/race/stage-4

I have penciled this into my calender and was wondering if there was any other DHBC'ites who would be keen in getting a team together for this event. 'Teams - Any cyclists can enter a team if they have five or more in their group'

Entry Includes

An exclusive Mutual Community Challenge Tour 2010 jersey. Team jerseys include team name printed on the back
Official Mutual Community Challenge Tour Ride Guide with course information to help you prepare
Medical support and some mechanical back up
Access to refreshments at checkpoints along the route and at the finish location
Lunch at the finish location

So....who would be keen to challenge themselves against the same course as the pro's. Its just like the Etape du Tour but in Australia :D

G

Postby G » 10 Nov 2009, 10:45

Date: Friday 22 January 2010
Start and Finish: Norwood to Goolwa
Race Distance: 160.5km includes Santos Tour Down Under stage distance of 149.5km plus 11km race neutral

http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/race/stage-4

I have penciled this into my calender and was wondering if there was any other DHBC'ites who would be keen in getting a team together for this event. 'Teams - Any cyclists can enter a team if they have five or more in their group'

Entry Includes

An exclusive Mutual Community Challenge Tour 2010 jersey. Team jerseys include team name printed on the back
Official Mutual Community Challenge Tour Ride Guide with course information to help you prepare
Medical support and some mechanical back up
Access to refreshments at checkpoints along the route and at the finish location
Lunch at the finish location

So....who would be keen to challenge themselves against the same course as the pro's. Its just like the Etape du Tour but in Australia :D

Me like it :) . From wot I understand, it starts from Adelaide. Will have to take Friday 22 off from work which shouldn't be a problem. So wot's the plan? We fly from Sydney to Adelaide on Thu night? I would like to explore Adelaide/SA or do a bit of great ocean road over the weekend and fly back to Sydney on Sunday night unless someone comes up with something more exciting.

Julio

Postby Julio » 10 Nov 2009, 10:54

So wot's the plan? We fly from Sydney to Adelaide on Thu night?
thursday day/night...just as long as the bikes get there on time. Last year my bike didn't come on my flight and I had to pick it up the next day...not good if the race is the next day.

I would like to explore Adelaide/SA or do a bit of great ocean road over the weekend and fly back to Sydney on Sunday night unless someone comes up with something more exciting.
great ocean road :shock: ...nah just stay in adelaide and ride the tour with the rest of us...you follow the race on your bike. Ride to where the best parts of the race are then up and go to the finish line. Stage five is the Queen stage of the race, the almighty Willunga Hill. If there is anyday you wanna see the race THIS is the stage you wanna see.

If your lucky you get to ride with phil ligget in the morning..or if you are really lucky like me last year you get to be passed by the god himself on a training ride. :D

G

Postby G » 10 Nov 2009, 15:51

God? Who?

Julio

Postby Julio » 10 Nov 2009, 20:03

God? Who?
I will give you a clue....he has one ball :P

G

Postby G » 11 Nov 2009, 10:48

I will give you a clue....he has one ball :P
Is it some president? George Clinton?

Julio

Postby Julio » 11 Nov 2009, 10:56

Is it some president? George Clinton?
He has been asked to be a governer of his state but its not GC.

Next is a crossword clue...he is riding this year for a (first word)spoken media (second word)beach house.

G

Postby G » 11 Nov 2009, 11:20

Shut up Jules. It is George Clinton. :D

Thu 21 Jan 2009 7pm Virgin Blue fight from Sydney is $85 (+$10 for bike as checkin luggage) - suits me because I can board it after work on Thu.

Sunday 6:50pm Qantas flight to Sydney is $114

I think these are good deals, but would expect these prices go through the r0of due to demand close to the event. Cabbage! We should b0ok them early. If there is more interest, I would suggest booking together so that we get seats together in the flight, so that we can have party in the flight.

Who's in?

HurtsLikeJens

Postby HurtsLikeJens » 14 Nov 2009, 18:19

The ride is pretty good, the trouble is getting back to the city. Those who aren't locals it's worth booking onto a coach for the return leg. I rode this years up to Angaston and got a bus back. Only downside it was about 2,000 degrees and the bus left at a specific time, so we were left sitting around in the sun for a few hours. Oh, and we didn't get to see the pro's ride in.

Otherwise for those that are keen there's a JDRF charity ride the weekend before up in the Barossa. That's a teams only event, though anyone can join the team my work is running. It means you have to raise X amount, but the JDRF will then cover flights, accomodation and transfers for the ride. And if you join the Macquarie team (I can send you links if you're keen) the Macquarie Foundation matches 75% of what you raise.

G

Postby G » 24 Nov 2009, 16:07

I am flying out on Thursday(21jan) evening from Sydney, returning on Sunday evening (24 Jan).

Who wants to fly with me? Or who has to fly with me?

Julio

Postby Julio » 11 Dec 2009, 07:41

I am flying in on wednesday and out on tuesday. I am planning on riding the tour on thursday, community challenge on friday, Drive and watch willunga then pitch a tent on montacue hill for the last stage. oh and I am seeing pandas on monday....PANDAS!

G

Postby G » 11 Dec 2009, 09:21

.... oh and I am seeing pandas on monday....PANDAS!

Pandas?!

G

Postby G » 11 Dec 2009, 10:37

update:
I have booked my flights. Leaving Sydney on Thursday night, and returning on Sunday night. I will miss the pandas. :shock: :?

G

Postby G » 11 Dec 2009, 10:42

Do we have 5 riders to register as a team? I know that our Chris and Cavendish will be there. Anyone else?

Julio

Postby Julio » 11 Dec 2009, 16:06

Pandas?!
http://www.giantpanda.org.au/

Team entries closed November 30...besides all it means is you get a wanky team name on the back. One of the best last year was "Lance sign here.............."

G

Postby G » 11 Dec 2009, 16:41

How to register for this challenge? The link shows blank page!

G

Postby G » 15 Dec 2009, 14:22

On Friday I am doing the community challenge and can take the bus back to Adelaide. Wot to do on Saturday and Sunday :?: :cry: Any recommendations?

Julio

Postby Julio » 15 Dec 2009, 22:07

On Friday I am doing the community challenge and can take the bus back to Adelaide.
I have also put down for the Norwood to Goolwa distance of the community challenge - 149.5km plus 11km race neutral distance.

Julio

Postby Julio » 05 Jan 2010, 15:57

Last Days to Register

With registrations closing for all Santos Tour Down Under products this Friday (8 January) at 5pm ACDT, this is the last chance to book your entry to Mutual Community Challenge Tour

G

Postby G » 05 Jan 2010, 16:13

Last Days to Register

With registrations closing for all Santos Tour Down Under products this Friday (8 January) at 5pm ACDT, this is the last chance to book your entry to Mutual Community Challenge Tour
I have registered for the 160k ride, and the bus back to Adelaide. Do we have to dismantle the bike or need a bike box when carrying it in the bus?

Julio

Postby Julio » 05 Jan 2010, 16:41

I have registered for the 160k ride, and the bus back to Adelaide. Do we have to dismantle the bike or need a bike box when carrying it in the bus?
nah bra I think they have an enclosed trailer on the back of the bus to help with the bike transport but if you do have to dismantle the bike (to put it underneath) I am sure they will have the tools to do so. i.e pedal spanners, allen keys for handle bars and the like

HurtsLikeJens

Postby HurtsLikeJens » 19 Jan 2010, 03:16

Bump.

Right boys. The bus back, well, it's a mixed bag. Some have enclosed trailors, some don't. The bikes don't need to be dismantled, they're stood up with bits of cardboard and blankets in between to stop rubbing/bumping/scratching.

As for what to do over the weekend. It's Adelaide, there's isn't much to do. If your legs feel alright you could try riding Greenhill Road or do Mount Lofty, two nice climbs within a very easy ride from the City.

Chris and I have signed up for the 160km, but will be going real easy.

On another note; if you happen to be at the Tour Down Under itself and see a guy in a boxing kangaroo costume wearing a world championship jersey, come say hello. That'd be me.

Julio

Postby Julio » 19 Jan 2010, 12:24

See you there bro

G

Postby G » 19 Jan 2010, 15:51

Bump.

Right boys. The bus back, well, it's a mixed bag. Some have enclosed trailors, some don't. The bikes don't need to be dismantled, they're stood up with bits of cardboard and blankets in between to stop rubbing/bumping/scratching.

As for what to do over the weekend. It's Adelaide, there's isn't much to do. If your legs feel alright you could try riding Greenhill Road or do Mount Lofty, two nice climbs within a very easy ride from the City.

Chris and I have signed up for the 160km, but will be going real easy.

On another note; if you happen to be at the Tour Down Under itself and see a guy in a boxing kangaroo costume wearing a world championship jersey, come say hello. That'd be me.
You sound familiar. Are you Matt?
Can you please PM me your mobile num? See ya there.

Return to “Conversation”