The DHBC forum voted cylist of the year awards

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
timyone

Postby timyone » 18 Dec 2009, 10:45

Ok, what are your nominations for who and for what? rider of the year, male and female, track, road, slowies middies fasties, crits etc

You can add sugestions for most coffee on a ride, craziest outfit in a triathlon etc.

I dont know the closing date for this, but am assuming closer to the end of the year, and this whole first post will be edited with the results.

timyone

Postby timyone » 18 Dec 2009, 12:31

ok, ball rolling some suggestions maybe starting with crit rider, i dont know how we choose, but im guessing its among the hard to choose events, the crit.

-Alex ramsy has won a few of ours, as well as competing in an amazing amount of heffron racing including tuesday nights, im gessing thee were a few results along the way, i cant remember which other crits ive seen him at, but the sydney road race is close to being one and he was at that.
-Alex chubb, competes well at crit level, has had some good results of staying with the field, one of our two DHBC A graders at our crit, theres more that i cant think of
-Simon Llewellyn, 1st place in C grade at mcarthur crit, 1st in c grade at the the ride for life, i think he may have won the dhbc one once, as well as being one of the 2 A graders, which i actually rank very highly as riders such as ben siminelli have been dropped by them! Simon also races tuesday night heffron, which is hardcore.
-Tim Llewellyn, 3rd in C grade at ride for life, top three finishes through the grades at heffron, ending in A grade. Absolutely abismal results at every other entred open crit :D

For the girls, i think that Amy has to get the award, as she is racing C grade at heffron, some good results in D

The Road rider of the year.
I dont know how we decide this one, who has reached results? James fowler has probably attened the most road races, as well as staying in the longest at the sydney road titles, he may also have our highest road ranking. Other riders who have been in road opens? John, Alex, Alex, did Alex ramsy get a place in an open this year in a graded race? how about the vet worlds? I have a 5th at cootamundra and i finished the grafton, but how does that rank up against James who raced alot more races than me?

Vet road cyclist?

female cyclist?

Time trialist;
Simon? i think he had the fastest time road and track

The track.
rookies riders:
Anthony
Anthony
Shaun colley
Ian denker?
Mike Chidgey
who else is there thats new thats done well?

girls
Victoria
when did amy start?

juniors
Hugo
Theo
Theos brother
Aldofo

Track cyclist of the year i think may just go to simon, highest placed, international, highest graded, made it furthest in opens

Vet of the year?
Shaun colley: bronze in the sprint?!!?! hard to look past
Ian Denker: raced well at raw all season
Christian; consistant

girls;
Jo; probably takes it as camilla has been ravaged by injury :(
Camilla

Sprinter of the year
;Tim Llewellyn ; 9th in the individual match sprint, as well as being in the bronze team
Shaun Colley: bronze at worlds?!!

Triathlete of the year
G
Julio
who else is there?

Tourer of the year
melbourne team plus G, Anthony and others?

Craziest bike
coolest bike
most coffee
craziest activity or achievement
craziest looking
biggest weight loss?
biggest celebration after any thing
slowest rider

any other suggestions etc?

timyone

Postby timyone » 18 Dec 2009, 12:43

nicest rider? most memorable rider? has any one done some thing for you that really made a difference? PM me stuff if ya like

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 18 Dec 2009, 13:29

Masters Road Participation this year is (I think)
- Christian (MMAS1) twice
- Alex R (MMAS2) once
- Geoff M (MMAS4 ?) once
- Michael Cl (MMAS4) 4 times
Best result was Alex R, who I think placed at Mudgee

Masters Time Trial Team
- Christian
- Alex R
- Michael Cl
- Eugene

Masters Track
- RAW: Many. Notable results Ian D 1st Div4, Shaun C 2nd Div 3 [what about Michael Langdon?]
- NSW Track Championships: Ian D, Mark L, Michael Cl. Notable result Michael Cl, MMAS4 scratch race 3rd
- World Masters Games: David L, Michael Cl, Ian D, Shaun C. Notable results Shaun C 3rd Matched sprint MMAS3, Ian D & Michael Cl 4th team sprint under 135 years.
- UCI World Masters Track Championships: Alex R, Ian D, Michael Cl. Notable results. Finalist in MMAS2 scratch race - Alex R. Finalist in MMAS4 scratch race - Michael Cl.

Womans Masters
- Camilla
- Joanne
WMAS gradings are classified :)

Appoligies to anyone I missed out. let me know and I'll update the list.

NOOG

Postby NOOG » 18 Dec 2009, 17:21

Mountain Biking?
Vic's a shoo-in for "most bruises acquired in one ride", although Simon's leg looked pretty impressive at the 24hr.

timyone

Postby timyone » 18 Dec 2009, 17:37

mountain biking? cool i guess we go on rankings for that in the latest races? ill ask around if no one wants to quote whos been going the best, hey every one can keep messaging me the info if they dont want to post>
Sorta asking james etc who they reckon as well.

G

Postby G » 19 Dec 2009, 16:13

Triathlete of the year nomination:
I nominate PeterOS as the triathlete of the year. This guy hammered the Port Macquarie half by clocking a near pro-triathlete fast 1.9km swim, a phenomenal 32km/hr average speed on 90km long hilly circuit, and then he goes on to hammer the 21km run. This guy is hardcore!

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 19 Dec 2009, 23:17

On the road side of things (i pretty much focus on open races), i'm thinking the following:

Road rider of the year: Tim Llewellyn (5th at coota classic, grafton finisher)

Vet Road rider of the year: Alex Ramsay (4th in Mudgee scratch, 3rd in macarthar crit)

Crit rider of the year: Simon Llewellyn (2 open wins)

Other riders to note:
James Fowler (most opens/ kms raced, though a bit of bad luck at a few)
Matt Wallman (strongest performer at Canberra and Bright tours)
Michael Clement (vet with the highest participation in opens (i think)

Hopefully we'll get a few more riders at all the opens next year, as it makes it all more enjoyable with others there.
Last edited by T-Bone on 20 Dec 2009, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 20 Dec 2009, 10:35

Don't ignore some of the great results out of the World Masters Games. Some of the Masters rider did exceptionally well.

I think to make this sort of awards beneficial for club growth and be inclusive, categories should also be considered for high race participation (irrespective of the results) and considerations for Masters grade members.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 01 Jan 2010, 14:50

I've had a think about these track awards & don't know if these will be the official awards for the year as I haven't talked to James yet & also I had trouble not leaving myself out of it as I had a fairly good year.

Track Sprint rider of the year: Shaun Colley
Track Enduro: Simon Llewellyn

Masters most improved: Ian Denker
Elite/ U23 men most improved: Alex Chubb
Women's most improved: Victoria Armstrong

DHBC Raw champion: Shaun Colley
Women's DHBC Raw Champion: Joanne Troutman

Women's track rider of the year: Amy Vesty
Women's masters track rider of the year: Joanne Troutman

Men's track rider of the year: Simon Llewellyn
Men's masters track rider of the year: Shaun Colley

Then some miscellaneous awards which have taken my interest:

Biggest budget/ most spending in a single year for 2009: Alex Chubb who bought a new carbon track bike then racing wheels; a disc & mavic five spoke, a new carbon road bike aligned with SRAM red & separately some 50mm carbon race wheels. truly massive spending.

Best buy of the year: Matt Wallman, who bought James' (T-bones) old road frame after James bough a new road frame only to see it fall apart & be without any road frame.

Best crash for 2009: I don't know but it must have involved a taxi, so maybe Amy vesty or Tim Bryers.

Biggest battler for 2009: Victoria Armstrong, I have not seen anyone rock up to track training every Monday & Wednesday evening with so many cuts & bruises before & not have a single crash at the track (not that I remember anyway).

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 02 Jan 2010, 11:36

I think that MikeC made a very solid effort for the "Best Crash" category on the track in 2009, solo effort too! 4 broken ribs, chest drain for punctured lung and 4 days in RPA. So I'd say it's a close heat b/n Amy and Mike.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 03 Jan 2010, 08:57

Ok - I thought of a few:

Red Wine and No training Award -
has got to go to Camilla Norman, who can still pull out an occasional win over most of us girls - on a high diet of alcohol, late nights and one night training at the Tempe track a month if she is lucky.

Actually a serious one I thought I should mention, but not sure it belongs with the rider awards..but what the hell.

Maybe some kind of recognition award. If it wasn't for Lindsay - I don't think DHBC would have many woman or new riders in the club - who have now progressed into racing or are just constant riders with us. Myself and a few other of the girls would have probably given riding up early on, if it were not for Lindsay staying back with us for months after being dropped at Waterfall continuously. It has also been great to have access to one of Lindsays many loan track bikes, which has really been a help to majority of new track riders.
Last edited by Trouty on 03 Jan 2010, 09:28, edited 1 time in total.

kiwiames

Postby kiwiames » 03 Jan 2010, 09:18

Yes i agree with Jo on this one, if it wasnt for Lindsay I would not be riding track. I had a loan bike (big bird) for about a year. When i first started I would only ride to Waterfall if Lindsay was riding as i wanted someone to stay back when i was dropped.
(my second ride to WF lindsay didnt ride - but thankfully Jo stayed back when I was dropped).

Also Camilla and her pre race diet of red wine and cheesecake. Gotta love it!

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 03 Jan 2010, 21:13

I'm thirding Lindsay's nomination. Not only for looking after us on the way to Waterfall and at the track (I'm still riding his bike), but for keeping us up-comers and battlers company on all rides. The 2008 B2B was particularly memorable for me. My first ride over 100km, through sun, wind, rain and up Mt Bathurst. We even got greened! And Lindsay was always there cheering, even singing, me on.

I'd like to propose a new category: Most Conscientious Supporter. And it surely has to go to Jarna. Not only does she never tire of showing up, but she nips home to pick up the bits and pieces Alex left behind, and she bakes for us! I'm pretty sure she knows the track rules better than most of us by now too.

Oh, and I'm so accepting any award with the words "red wine" in it. Do I win a bottle?

Return to “Conversation”