Pedals for big feet

For all things Velodrome
cave_dweller

Postby cave_dweller » 14 Dec 2007, 09:14

Hi guys,

I bought some MKS rx-1 pedals for my track bike but they feel too small for my wide size 13 feet. It feels liek hafl my foot is not on the pedal, and the centre of the toe clip is lined up with my big toe? Don't think this is right.

Can anyone recommend me some toe strap compatible wide pedals?

Also, do you guys run cleats on the sole of the shoe and sit it in front of the rear plate to prevent you pulling out backwards when strapped in? Will any old cleat work?

Thanks

lindsay

Postby lindsay » 14 Dec 2007, 10:03

The basic rule is the axel of the pedal should be in the center of the ball of the foot. Think of this - your watching TV & a big cockroach makes a run for it across the floor in front of you. You stand up & go for the stomp hoping to smash the little critter's exoskeleton into oblivion. Well it's the same stomp from the power part of the foot we use on the track.

To find the center of the ball of the foot identify the knuckle of you little toe & big toe. Put on your shoe, find the knuckles & mark the spot on the side of the upper so you can see it from above. The spot your looking for will be in the center of those marks & should line up with the axel when viewed from above.

We have a device at Tempe for setting up shoes & pedals easily so if you get it close enough we can do the fine tuning there.

Big feet will require large size toe clips.

Cheers,

Lindsay

cave_dweller

Postby cave_dweller » 14 Dec 2007, 10:43

What kind of cleats do you need? Is it a specific MKS type? I haven't been able to find any info.

Do you think the rx-1 pedals are a bit small for someone with a size 13 foot?

Another question, how much toe overlap with the front wheel is normal?

Thanks

lindsay

Postby lindsay » 14 Dec 2007, 11:36

I use the cleat supplied by Shimano on their lower cost shoes, this works fine & uses the 2 Look cleat screw holes. Works fine & I've never pulled it with a double strap. However any modern type of cleat should work. Most bike shops will chuck those cleats out when they fit clipless (as most riders use) for customers, so if you ask them they will usually give them to you.

The pedals you've got should be will work with your xl plates of meat. Sometimes one has to do a bit of home modifying to get it all to work. They don't make pedals for shoe size - one design is used for all feet large & small.

As for the overlap, the amount depends on how the bike was built & most track bikes will have the overlap (my Bundy does but my Fuji doesn't) on the track you won't notice it much, only when on the warmup track etc. When doing the business at anything greater than walking pace you'll never turn the front wheel anywhere near touching between tip of foot & tyre.

cave_dweller

Postby cave_dweller » 14 Dec 2007, 12:10

Thanks lindsay.

Last question, im about to buy some shoes (i don't own any road shoes). Any recommendations? I was thinking of getting these

Will the velcro or buckle on the shoes interfere with the toe straps over the top? Or am i better off going with a lace up shoe like this

I know you need stiff shoes for track, are the cheap lace ups good enough?

Thanks

lindsay

Postby lindsay » 14 Dec 2007, 12:22

These shoes have exactly the same soles... it's only the uppers that differ so stiffness is the same for both. I use a pair of the lace up ones. I would like them to be stiffer however they are acceptable. When you start knocking on A grade's door I suggest shifting to a better quality shoe, but for me at my level and for yourself starting off these are good. You are quite correct that the velcro & buckle on the top shoe will get in the way of the clips & straps. So the laceup ones are better for what we do & what I recommend.

Cheers,

Lindsay

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 14 Dec 2007, 12:41

I think those shoes are on special at Cell Bikes for $69

fixedgear

Postby fixedgear » 14 Dec 2007, 13:28

If you need a wider pedal, the MKS Touring Pedal is really just a wider 'rat trap' and has quality bearings and construction. Cleated shoes fit fine. I've used them on the track on my Bates and also on the Falcon fixie.

For details see: www.velo-orange.com/mks.tope.html

Return to “Track”