RBCC Heffron Park 19/01/08

Road cycling & upcoming rides
fixedgear

Postby fixedgear » 17 Jan 2008, 20:05

This Saturday I'm planning on making a somewhat overdue debut at Heffron Park. I've seen the track but never raced on it, so I'm looking for info and advice from those who have climbed the Pimples and cornered the Squircle.

I'll be riding my recently acquired/built up Farleigh fixie in singlespeed mode so Lindsay any suggestions?

Grade? I ride D Grade at open age racing at Penrith and Marconi. I had been thinking D Grade at Heffron, but I understand all grades have been renamed down one since 'A Club' has become 'B', 'B' has become "C" etc in 2008. So E Grade?

Gearing? Well I can only have one and that will be at this stage 84" (53x17). I know I could max out on spin with a tail wind if the pace is high and I know a strong head wind might also be a problem. For those on derailleurs what gear range do typically use at Heffron (53 x ? to 53 x ?).

Weather? It's not looking too crash hot for Saturday with showers predicted for Sydney. Looking at the RBCC website, there have been quite a few weather related cancellations in past seasons. What is RBCC's policy? I'm having to arrange some leave from work to race so I'd rather not waste my leave if there is no racing.

Suggestions and comments welcomed......

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 17 Jan 2008, 20:24

FixedGear (I'm trying to think of your identity?),

Good luck. Lindsay I don't think will be there on Saturday, but there should be others.

If it is raining and the road is wet, it will be cancelled. If it starts to rain during a race, they may ring the last lap bell depending on how quickly the road is getting wet.

Best is for you to turn up and tell Joanne Buckton you experience, and let her know you are going out on a fixie bike. When in doubt and where you have raced before, they are likely to put you into D Grade (old C), so that you get dropped rather than starting in E Grade (old D) and dropping the whole bunch and ruining it for all of them. Then next time you are a clear E Grade, or stay in D Grade, etc.

So bear with RBCC if you think they are unfair. Week 2 it will be spot on and fair.

Make sure you have your new licence or proof of purchase (receipt) otherwise you won't be allowed to ride. I won't be there but good luck

williamd

Postby williamd » 17 Jan 2008, 21:15

If it is hot and windy stay with the peleton till the last corners.

I raced there last week but am in Surfers until the 29 January so cannot make it for a while.

Huw

Postby Huw » 18 Jan 2008, 08:39

... going out on a fixie bike.
Perhaps everyone is already aware, but I believe that Heffron regulations require a freewheel. I just wanted to make this point after I saw Geoff mention "fixie".

It wouldn't make sense to race Heffron fixed - there are a number of sharp corners that definitely require a free-wheel to position pedals.

Huw

Postby Huw » 18 Jan 2008, 08:41

I'll be riding my recently acquired/built up Farleigh fixie in singlespeed mode so Lindsay any suggestions?
OK, it's just me without coffee.

micklan

Postby micklan » 18 Jan 2008, 09:32

In E grade last week Greg wound up his 54/17? windmill (I think), to beat me on the straight.
Wet track - need to access on the day I guess.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 18 Jan 2008, 10:03

Lindsay always say that there's an efficiency advantage to ride a single speed/fixie at Heffron. It would be interesting to compare.

BTW, are we sure that Lindsay uses singlespeed at Heffron?

Damian

Postby Damian » 18 Jan 2008, 10:09

BTW, are we sure that Lindsay uses singlespeed at Heffron?
yes

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 18 Jan 2008, 10:13

yes
To be specific, freewheel singlespeed rather than fixed?

Damian

Postby Damian » 18 Jan 2008, 10:23

To be specific, freewheel singlespeed rather than fixed?
Yes, they don't allow fixed.

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 18 Jan 2008, 15:39

I was under the impression that it is a UCI regulation that requires a freewheel.

I could be wrong on that, but as I understood it Lindsay always rides single speed, not fixie at Heffron.

James

fixedgear

Postby fixedgear » 18 Jan 2008, 19:37

Neither UCI regulations nor Cycling Australia rules prohibit the use of a fixed wheel. In talking with John Buckton (RBCC President/Handicapper) today I gain the impression that they have a 'local rule' specific to the Heffron circut discouraging fixies because of safety issues.

The safety issue being the risk of striking a pedal when cornering on one of the tighter turns. My Farleigh singlespeed is a 1982 track frame with a high bottom bracket and short (165mm) cranks. It would be difficult for me to strike a pedal pedalling through corners, but the ability to freewheel with the inside pedal up allows a greater variety of lines through a corner - the need for variety being dictated by other riders in the bunch possibly having my prefered cornering line.

Anyway, weather allowing I'll be going around in D grade (the 'old' C grade.) With only a 84" gear I'll be happy not to be dropped from the bunch by halfway, but we'll see on the day.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 18 Jan 2008, 20:36

Good luck. Hope the weather will clear for you in time.

micklan

Postby micklan » 19 Jan 2008, 13:18

I'd say negative on the racing today - nothing on the RBCC website...

fixedgear

Postby fixedgear » 19 Jan 2008, 19:55

Well it absolutely poured down today, most of the corners had a fair bit of surface water 'ponding' so racing was not unexpectantly cancelled. A bit of a disappointment because it will be 16 February before I can get another chance to race there with the Australia day break next weekend, and then my work roster not being helpful.

The day was not a total waste though, I caught up with Al Sumner who told me how until recently he rode a 90" singlespeed at Heffron. Al also sold me a new pair of steel 700C forks for a mere $24.00 to replace the alloy forks currently on the Farleigh singlespeed.

Return to “Road”