Top Notch Bib Shorts

Road cycling & upcoming rides
GregPankhurst

Postby GregPankhurst » 14 Nov 2012, 08:14

Lo All

Was looking to lash out and get a pair of top notch bibs for some of the longer missions I'm planning. Up until now my only foray into the bib market has been a couple of cheap sets from Cell (which pretty much describes all of my cycling attire). I was looking at the dhb Aeron Pro's from Wiggle, but before jumping in I just wondered what people recommended in terms of brands and models?

Cheers
Greg

Philip

Postby Philip » 14 Nov 2012, 09:08

Hi Greg, I too have some cheap Cell bibs, they are fine except for the chamois. Recently I really lashed out and got some Rapha Pro bibs for my long rides. I love them!! So comfortable even after 200km's. they are tight so it might pay to go up a size. They also have a lifetime repair policy. Expensive, very expensive, but good.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 14 Nov 2012, 09:48

It's a difficult thing to work out as its personal thing. Some riders can ride in anything where other riders find that one particular brand/model works for them and the same brand/model doesn't work for someone else.

If cost is not an issue, go for some top end bibs and save them for the longer rides.

Out of my collection my favourite is Tineli

othy

Postby othy » 14 Nov 2012, 10:55

I've tried many of them, Assos, Rapha, Capo, Pearl izumi, cheap cell ones. Assos the best, and most comfortable. Rapha & Capo look better and I prefer their jerseys (for a matching set...). The padding is better fitting in Rapha then Capo, but neither as good as Assos.

Assos have the shortest inseam, followed by Capo, and with Rapha being the best length. Pearl Izumi & Cell are too long. Rapha have the nicest feeling bibs / fabric, but it is not as technical as Assos and doesn't wick away sweat as well.

I've had a pair of capo & assos for about the same time, the Assos have remained in better condition. I didn't get to see how long my Rapha bibs would last as they were cut off me by the hospital (along with the matching jersey and gloves, work out those $). I just throw my bibs in a normal wash in a delicates bag, so I'm not particular about their care. Only reason for the delicates bag is to avoid getting the straps caught.

I'd like to try Craft bibs, as I really like their undershirts.

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 14 Nov 2012, 11:15

...i just got some rapha. awesome for the long rides, not so awesome for the credit card

NOOG

Postby NOOG » 14 Nov 2012, 11:30

http://babici.cc/

A locally based Australian company doing some nice high end stuff.

jermxx

Postby jermxx » 14 Nov 2012, 12:37

Assos knicks are the best ones I have used, the Castelli Body Paint knicks are pretty close

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 14 Nov 2012, 13:52

I have a pair of 3/4 length dhb Aeron Pro's. They are good... But you can get better. Over the last 2 years I have bought Sugoi, Pearl Izumi, Champion Systems (DHBC knicks) and Castelli searching for that elusive 'perfect pair'. I have not got a pair of Assos yet which are next on my list.

My favourites are the Sugoi's. Easily. The others are great but the Sugoi's tick every box.

Cost is obviously a sticking point. But on the big websites, Wiggle, ProBikeKit etc. they are always rolling out one or two brands in 'Clearance' and you can generally pick them up for anything up to 40-50% off. I don't think I've ever paid full price for a pair.

Life's too short to wear cheap knicks.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 14 Nov 2012, 19:53

+1 for Assos (expensive indeed) & Sugoi (good value for $$) - haven't tried Rapha or Capo. Assos the only ones I have with the 'man cup' in the front .... got my last pair at nearly 50% off at the Alpine Classic market.

Also got a pair of Look Pro's in France this year - very good indeed.

Hashtag

Postby Hashtag » 15 Nov 2012, 07:44

I've had all sorts of problems finding good fitting, comfortable knicks. For me Assos has ticked all my boxes, except they are pricey. Apart from that I have trouble finding a fault in them. Christmas is coming, so probikekit and wiggle will have some good deals. I buy them in the specials.

Tod511

Postby Tod511 » 15 Nov 2012, 09:02

My 20 cents worth. I have had Craft Performance bib shorts for about a year now and they are fine. Have used them weekly and just chuck them in the wash and they are still going strong. Have used them on a couple of 140km rides and regularly to Waterfall. Recently purchased a pair of Rapha Classic Bib shorts (different to those purchased by Philip). I have worn then only once and they are fantastic with anatomically correct padding where you need it. I purchased the Rapha shorts when they had a sale on - I received a 20% off voucher from Rapha for classic products only. Also, if you sign up with Rapha or referred by a friend you get 10% off your first purchase.

I am now envious of Assos - I think they will be my next purchase.

timothy_clifford

Postby timothy_clifford » 15 Nov 2012, 09:11

Has anyone tried Babici's bibs?

There are some nice photos on their site...

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 15 Nov 2012, 10:27

... some of those Babici models look familiar.

NOOG

Postby NOOG » 15 Nov 2012, 11:37

Has anyone tried Babici's bibs?

There are some nice photos on their site...
I've tried the Lumiere and the Everyday knicks...The Everyday ones are on par with the club's Champion System knicks. For the price, they are great and just as good as the Santinis which I found were the best in the $100 price range.

The Lumieres are a bit more expensive and are summer knicks. They are brilliant... try to imagine what ventilation would feel like in a pair of knicks. The chamois in these are the best I have ridden...better than Assos, Capo, Castelli etc...I haven't tried Rapha.
Last edited by NOOG on 15 Nov 2012, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.

shrubb face

Postby shrubb face » 15 Nov 2012, 15:11

If you buy a set of babici's top knicks John will apply the chamios cream to them for the first 6 months for free.

rhys

Postby rhys » 16 Nov 2012, 12:13

In my experience, Assos tend to go see-through in the buttcrack region after ten washes or so. Unsurprisingly not many people who wear them are aware of this. Not very nice, especially when you're drafting a person of Italian descent.
I have a pair of Rapha pro team and Rapha Classic bibs and they are both excellent, though as Philip said if you get the Pro Team bibs make sure you go up a size. I bought two pairs of mediums (my classic mediums are a perfect fit) when they were on sale and they are slightly tight. The length between medium and large doesn't vary too much though.
They're the only bibs I have that don't give me some kind of irritation if I do several days of back-to-back riding.
(so if you want to order medium, let me know - I have a brand new pair here in the packet wanting to trade for a L size with somebody).
Sugoi are pretty good for the money but they can feel like you're wearing a nappy. I bought a pair of Skins bibs in 2008 and I think they were well over $200, but they are still going. A bit see-through, but going strong in the comfort/chamois department.
I'll probably check out Babici when I next need to purchase because it looks pretty good.
To summarise I would say either Rapha or check out Babici. I'm lucky that my wife likes Rapha and so I'm able to purchase it on the credit card and pay her back. :)

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 16 Nov 2012, 12:21

If you buy a set of babici's top knicks John will apply the chamios cream to them for the first 6 months for free.
Gold .. a top 5 Contender for 'Forum Quote of the Year' at the end of year party (a new category I just though up then)

GregPankhurst

Postby GregPankhurst » 06 Dec 2012, 13:06

Thx for the input guys.

Have ended up with a set of Assos as a starting point

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 12 Dec 2012, 19:08

http://babici.cc/

A locally based Australian company doing some nice high end stuff.
Hey Noog, I just noticed your picture on the front of the website. Looks good.

But there is little in the way of womans stuff. Shame.

timothy_clifford

Postby timothy_clifford » 12 Dec 2012, 19:22

But there is little in the way of womans stuff. Shame.
Don't know what you're talking about. It's pink, what's wrong with that?

</troll>

Return to “Road”