Tube lengths and frame sizes..... the dilema

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 25 Jun 2008, 23:39

Well, i'm in the process of getting my new frame ordered, but i'm having trouble deciding on a suitable frame size.

The XL has a 566.5mm effective top tube, 170mm head tube, 580mm C-T seat tube. http://tog3vw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p ... /580mm.jpg

The XXL has a 581.6mm effective top tube, 191mm head tube, 600mm C-T seat tube. http://tog3vw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p ... /600mm.jpg

My current frame has a 580mm top tube, 185mm head tube, 571mm C-T seat tube.

Here's a photo of the frame and fork
http://tog3vw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p ... 300247.jpg

The Problem i'm having is with the tube lengths. XL top tube seems too small, XXL head tube is slightly too big, plus i'm not sure how good the longer seat tube on the XXL will look with the reduced seatpost showing (more cosmetic issue). The smaller frame may require an extended setback seatpost to fit (45mm setback), though i have about 1cm spare in my current setup. Currently i have a 130mm stem, though have been considering trying a 120mm at some point, which makes me think the XL will work.

What's the opinions?

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 25 Jun 2008, 23:49

One thing to add. I believe the seat tube angle on my current frame is 72.5, while the XL size frame is 73.5, which according to my calculations should increase the reach by at least 1cm. XXL reach will increase by around .5cm due to the 73 STA.

I guess i could make both frames fit, just want the one that will fit best... :?

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 26 Jun 2008, 00:53

After a bit of thinking and reading, i'm leaning further towards the XL, as according to my calculations the reach is only .5cm different. So looking at the headtubes, the XXL will have no room to go lower, and once the steerer gets cut it won't go anywhere, while the XL i'll have the opportunity to adjust things a little. I think the 2cm extra seatpost showing will make the bike look better overall on the XL. Lastly the smaller frame should be a few grams lighter, meaning i can carry a few more snakes for energy!! :lol:

I still won't opinions, in case i stop to think too much before i confirm the size.....

At least i was easily convinced on a seatpost (even though i spent a couple of days deciding on another one prior). So stem will be the only thing remaining, but i'll probably stick with what i've got, hopefully it's the correct length.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 26 Jun 2008, 02:42

Have you tried,
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CC ... ATOR_INTRO

How can you be sure your current fit is absolutely ideal?

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 26 Jun 2008, 12:03

Yep i've tried that.

The Competitive Fit (cm)
-------------------------------------------
Seat tube range c-c: 58.3 - 58.8
Seat tube range c-t: 60.1 - 60.6
Top tube length: 58.2 - 58.6
Stem Length: 12.5 - 13.1
BB-Saddle Position: 77.2 - 79.2
Saddle-Handlebar: 59.3 - 59.9
Saddle Setback: 7.3 - 7.7
Seatpost Type: SETBACK

Not completely sure my current fit is ideal, but it's been working alright....

I think i'm going with the XL, because the XXL is just a bit big in height.

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 26 Jun 2008, 12:08

I would have thought that if you are between sizes, then it is better to go to the small size as you can pad it out with a longer seat post, and a longer stem and a longer steerer, but you can only shorten them by so much.

James

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 26 Jun 2008, 12:25

That Competitive Fit result looked interesting. It's suggesting XXL frame based on the top tube length and a rather long 12-13cm stem! It's also interesting that the Competitive Fit is typically more compact (ie. Smaller frame), yet it suggested the larger of the two frames.

To my understanding, the top tube length is more critical in the fitting of compact/sub-compact frames.

Hard choice. Any chance of trying any of them out?

fixedgear

Postby fixedgear » 26 Jun 2008, 12:33

Get a custom steel frame from Jim Bundy - you can have any length of top tube, seat tube, head tube you want :D

Jim's building me a lugged Reynolds 531 frame to my specs at the moment. It will have a slightly extended head tube (17.5 cm) compared to the usual ~16cm you'd find on a 58cm centre to top steel frame. Top tube is 56 cm centre to centre and angles are 73 degrees seat and head.

Contact Peter Bundy Cycles in Riverwood if would like to know more.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 26 Jun 2008, 12:44

Get a custom steel frame from Jim Bundy - you can have any length of top tube, seat tube, head tube you want :D
You obviously don't know our James(F) well. James is all about CF!!! :wink:

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 26 Jun 2008, 13:09

The problem with the competitive cyclist fit is it doesn't take into acount the seat tube angle, which affects the reach of the frame, so as long as i get the same saddle setback, the frames should fit almost the same.

I'm not ALL about CF, but the price is good (around $750), and i've got a limited budget at the moment. If i was going for steel it would have to be Reynolds 953, which i know i could get custom built for US$2100, plus a little shipping, so a little bit much for the time being. I've got plans to build my own frame (Carbon frame) in the future, though i have to wait until i have the spare time, and i'll ideally need to spend $500 on tools....

williamd

Postby williamd » 26 Jun 2008, 13:13

If you want a lighter bike you should look at a smaller frame.

or you could go with a steel frame as weiyun suggested and that will give Weiyun and me a chance to stick to your wheel.

:lol:
Don't finish Horizontal.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 26 Jun 2008, 13:22

If you want a lighter bike you should look at a smaller frame.

or you could go with a steel frame as weiyun suggested and that will give Weiyun and me a chance to stick to your wheel.
Smaller frame would be less than 50g difference from memory. I'm pretty sure i'll be saving 300g from my current frame though, not to mention some other component changes which i'll reveal as soon as i start my build.

Weiyun didn't suggest steel, he's a carbon man these days with his Ridley. Fixedgear suggested the steel, and there're advantages for both, but the main thing is budget, which limits my choice. I can get a top quality carbon frame for much cheaper, especially when i'm basically buying factory direct.

You just have to tell me to slow down if you want to sit on my wheel, don't think weight will make a big difference, unless it's on a steep climb.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 26 Jun 2008, 13:37

Ahhh... The punt of ordering frames on-line. I had a similar dilemma when I was shopping for my second bike. Tough, very tough. And the verification won't come until you've built the bike and tried it on the road.

That's right. Isn't that bare back CF frame also the one that got rebadged by a number of companies? Is Cell using it?

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 26 Jun 2008, 13:48

It's the same frame used by Wilier for the Le Roi. When the Cento became the top model, they lose the exclusivity of the frame mold. Though you can get the Le Roi in custom geometry from Wilier, made in a slightly different way, and costs more. Paint also costs a bit too, but the Wilier paint jobs do look bloody good, especially the current chrome one, also liked the previous copper finish. I'm thinking i may just put my name or initials on the down tube, just to breakup the plain carbon look a little.

I got my Koln online, however i think i've done a lot more research since then, so i'm getting a much better price, which i think is most important when buying online, if you're not doing it to save money, then why would you do it. I know i can make the frame fit, the issue was more which could be made to fit more easily.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 26 Jun 2008, 13:53

Ah yes, Wilier it was. Does anyone in Sydney stock Wilier? Might be worth taking a look.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 26 Jun 2008, 13:59

There must be someone, but i don't really have the time to find them. I'm pretty sure i'll be getting the correct frame size now. The geometry charts are more accurate than wiliers website, and i've done the necessary calculations to determine the effects of the seat tube angles, plus the larger size, the head tube is really too long for an ideal fit.

Kieran

Postby Kieran » 26 Jun 2008, 14:10

Hey James, before you go ordering your new frame, I may have one for you at a pretty nice price. See below for the full bike. 850 grams for the frame!

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/bikes/08_ ... ithsl.html

My frame came without groupset and controls, so I might get the full SL bike and then scavenge the SRAM red and bars. That leaves me with the SL frame AND a pair of Zipp 404's, AND some SRAM RED brakes. You can have your pick of the bars, stem and seat as well if interested.

If I go with this plan, I will be needing to get rid of all this stuff. I will sell it at all at well below wholesale price.

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 26 Jun 2008, 14:28

I think that Spit Cyclery stock Wilier, but I might be wrong.

James

Return to “Conversation”