Heffron Race Report 7th November

Road cycling & upcoming rides
geoff m

Postby geoff m » 09 Nov 2009, 23:04

With the Omnum, only 2 riders turned up. Alex for B grade, and yours truly for D Grade.

Only 10 starters in D Grade and with riders going really slow, and few willing to do any work, myself and the other few workers pulled back, to let the others take us around at an average 30kms per hour.

Myself and one dude from SCC got a bit impatient, with both of us attacking, and stretching the group out, several times, but the slow group magically became fast all of a sudden, realing us in.

I took off down McEwen Straight and got a 200metre break, but was realed in after 3/4 of a lap.

Easts had brought along their Sporst Academy trainers (Frank and one other guy we did our Cycle training Skills course with) and were calling out secret messages to their two women riders who were sitting nicely tucked in behind the workers.

Our friend 'Fixed Gear' was behind me and then I could hear the clashing of metal for about 5 seconds wondering when riders would hit the road - unfortunately he finally went down, after the rider behind him got hitched his drop bars hitched to 'Fixed Gear's' back wheel, ending in bloodied legs, and unfortunatly a damaged antique bike.

With two dropped riders, and two injured riders, and one damaged bike, the last 6 of us did battle, with the Easts ladies starting to come to the front in 2 and 3 position, looking out for each other, and sticking close to one guy who started to attack for the first time.

We were passed by C Grade on our bell lap, and had to slow a bit, to let them get ahead. I rounded the last corner in third or fourth wheel, but somehow, all the surgng and attacking had done me in. As we sprinted past C Grade down McEwen Straight, i couldnt catch anyone in front, and finished sixth of sixth.

And tactically, Frank had success with his two women - who rode quite a smart race - taking 2nd and 3rd. Quite measured and a good result for them.

Common guys, I need a coach on the sideline..............whose gonna call for me.

Can't quite comment for Alex in B Grade other than he came 5th in the sprint finish.

timyone

Postby timyone » 10 Nov 2009, 06:54

nice report!!
id love to jump in and try some team work with you, but i dunno if they would let me :(

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 10 Nov 2009, 07:36

Common guys, I need a coach on the sideline..............whose gonna call for me.
Nice report and sorry to hear about Fixed Gear's crash.

Sounded like there's only one word of wisdom for you... Patience and wait for that winning move. ;)

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 10 Nov 2009, 11:44

Nice report and sorry to hear about Fixed Gear's crash.

Sounded like there's only one word of wisdom for you... Patience and wait for that winning move. ;)
Thanyou Coach Weiyun

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 10 Nov 2009, 13:16

Thanyou Coach Weiyun
Coach Geoff: As is well known, self coaching is a bad idea. :wink:

fixedgear

Postby fixedgear » 15 Nov 2009, 11:23

Not a lot of damage to me, but the bike suffered extensive damage. A new rim and spokes was rebuilt on the hub by Jim Bundy, to which I added a new tyre (well 15 years old from my stash of skinwall Vittoria's :D ) and tube.

I also had to realign the bent derailleur hanger with a wizzbang Park Tool and rebuild the damaged rear derailleur.

Things now function ok, but with paint damage to the frame and alloy gashes in the derailleur and pedals it is not as pretty as it was.

First ride on the rebuilt bike was yesterdays RBCC Heffron D Grade race which I somehow won.

Return to “Road”