Children's Bike for a 5 year old.

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
yewenyi

Postby yewenyi » 25 Oct 2010, 14:10

Any advice on getting a bike for a 5 YO girl? What things should I look for or aviod? Do any of you have a second hand one you might like to sell (or lend)?

Toff

Postby Toff » 25 Oct 2010, 14:52

Make sure you can raise the seat. They grow very quickly.

Also, make sure the kid knows how to ride. I find it helps if they have learnt to ride a scooter first.

Peter Bundy's daughter was riding around on a custom made fixie at age five. It was an awesome hot pink bike with proper track components all over it, and 451mm wheels. Sold now though.

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 28 Oct 2010, 11:44

I bought my nephew a BKY Bike for his 4th birthday.
http://www.bykbikes.com/
Its a fair bit lighter than most kids bikes. He loves it!!!

We started him on a FIRSTBike so he's never used 'training wheels'
http://www.firstbike.com/

Toff

Postby Toff » 28 Oct 2010, 12:28

My 3 year old started with a scooter, then moved up to a kid's bike when she turned 3. Her grandfather picked the bike up off the side of the road, and put a new chain on it, so it cost us nothing. It's similar to any other small toy bike that all the shops sell. I took the cranks and bottom bracket off it, and effectively turned it into one of those "Firstbikes". Now she has mastered balance I am going to put the cranks back on any day now.

I assumed the 5 year old could already ride.

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 28 Oct 2010, 15:59

Yeap, there are plenty of dumped bikes out there that can be fixed in no time. Some better than others. Avoid the ones wuith plastic headsets!!! I aslo took the cranks off one dumped bike to turn it into a balance bike for my nephew but found it didn't work as well (for a littley) the balance bikes are so small and light, however as Chris mentions a scootor will teach some of the same skills.

I have a FIRSTbike that is available for anyone in the club to loan untill my boy needs it in another year or so.

Return to “Conversation”