DHBC to crowdfund a recumbent trike for rehab

Club News and Announcements
Eleri

Postby Eleri » 17 Jun 2013, 07:14

In February Greg Pankhurst crashed while on the Johnny Warren ride. DHBC committee wants to help by crowdfunding the purchase of a recumbent trike for Greg's rehabilitation initially and then look what we can do with the bike when he's finished with it. It would be great to find a way to use it for greater good.

Greg writes:
For the members that don't know me, I was a newish member (approx 12 mths) who was a regular at the Wednesday LaPa rides, Sunday's C28s and the odd Sat slowies. I'm was actually building up for an attempt on the Three Peaks and was using the Johnny Warren as a build up ride. I remember the early events of the Johnny Warren including the DHBC pic at Loftus Oval, but everything goes a little hazy after that. After a big stack near Stanwell Park, I finished the day in St George hospital ICU, and spent the next 2 weeks in a coma there.

I manged to pick up a moderately severe brain injury in my fall, and I'm still in recovery mode (brain injuries are slow to heal). My balance, left side coordination and strength still have some improving to do. My long term prognosis is promising, but I'll be off work for a while yet, and have been ordered off the bike for 12 months +. Well at least a traditional bike. A recumbent trike is an option as one doesn't need to rely on balance, and indeed as part of my rehab I've had a couple of glorious ride sessions on a Catrike Villager . Unfortunatey the Catrike in question is deicated to the Ryde Rehab unit, so my access to said bike for the next 12 months is very limited (which well, sucks to be honest - I do love riding as well as the social aspects of the club).

I'd dearly love to get a recumbant trike, as its the only way i an get on the road for the next 12 months, and cycling can form a key plank of my rehabilitation - keeps me fit and improves my left side strength & coordination It would also be great to get out with the club as much as possible, as I've got a lot of great friends among the members.
So - I'm suggesting we crowd fund the purchase. With around 400 members I reckon we can do this easy.

Two ways I think we could organise this are for people to commit funds to the purchase or raffles. I think the former is quicker but am open to ideas. And if someone could take over and organise this - that would be fantastic.

Ideas below please!

Philip

Postby Philip » 17 Jun 2013, 15:27

I'm always a fan of the simplest solutions. Can I just deposit a donation into the club account and mark it Trike. If that will work let me know and I'll start the ball rolling... or the wheel rolling... or the three wheels rolling, as the case may be.

Rajiv

Postby Rajiv » 17 Jun 2013, 15:43

Yep, I'd be happy to go with the simpler solution as well and make a deposit to the club account and mark it "Trike". With a little retrofitting, a potential solution for the trike, once Greg finishes with it, could be:
http://legacymedia.localworld.co.uk/bus ... 984290.png
Rajiv

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 17 Jun 2013, 16:25

Good suggestions. Thanks.
Dougie has put up a post to organise the raising over here

Tam

Postby Tam » 17 Jun 2013, 18:12

Great idea and happy to contribute. If we don't make the target, may be worth doing a Pozible with donations from the club as prizes... http://www.pozible.com/list/pop

Return to “News and Announcements”