Hal Summers - R.I.P.

Club News and Announcements
Eleri

Postby Eleri » 24 Jul 2013, 22:33

Harold (Hal) Summers was a 2nd generation member of Dulwich Hill Bicycle Club serving for some time as Secretary of the Club.

He died aged 87 years on 23rd July 2013.

Hal was a racing cyclist primarily on the track and cycling was a big part of his life for many years. LIke his father before him, he was made a life-member of Cycling NSW in 1977 and was awarded the a Medal of Merit for 50 years of service in 1991. Hal's father was a former President of Cycling NSW predecessor organisation.

Hal was heavily involved in building the former Camperdown Velodrome, which was for many years the home of DHBC.

Hal was quoted in a 1988 newspaper clipping about the Sydney Thousand race (first raced in 1903) defending the decision to run the race as a handicap against criticism by Martin Vinnicombe. Hal helped move the race from Canterbury Velodrome at Tempe to Dunc Gray but before that was part of the committee that got the Sydney Thousand sign erected on the western bank of Canterbury Velodrome.

He is remembered by club members as being knowledgeable on a range of topics, not just cycling. His partner, Shirley remembers people leaving their bikes in the side passage for Hal to fix.

Family and friends are invited to attend his funeral service on Monday 29 July 2013, in the Sacred Heart Chapel, Barnet Avenue, Rookwood Cemetery, commencing at 10:30.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 27 Jul 2013, 19:20

And I popped round to see Al today to give him my dearest sympathies about the death of his brother. Then Al reminded me he is a Sumner, and Hal was a Summers, and he grinned and smiled.

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 29 Jul 2013, 19:01

Nothing Al likes more than a laugh at someone else's expense! - In the nicest sort of way of course :)

Return to “News and Announcements”