Member Event - so you think you want to race? 25th May

Club News and Announcements
Eleri

Postby Eleri » 06 Apr 2014, 15:52

The next member event is for those who might want to race, but not quite sure and will benefit from advice.

When we surveyed the membership last year 75% responded saying they raced or might race in the future. Only 25% ruled it out.

Some of the common factors cited included:
- lack of confidence
- not sure what's involved or how to get started
- Showing up at a first race is intimidating and scary
- not sure how to train for racing.

This member event will address all those questions and more. We've called on the great talent that already exists in the club with an experienced Masters rider and others able to fill you in about how it all works.

Details coming soon but this will be one night in May. Please post any questions you would like answered and say here if you would like to attend this event so we can gauge numbers.

jonboy

Postby jonboy » 07 Apr 2014, 13:51

Some sample questions:

What recourse do I have if another rider in a race rides in a negligent manner, causing me to crash, resulting in (possibly permanent) personal injury and costly damage to my bike?

What support does the club, the race organisers and / or Cycling NSW provide in these circumstances, or is it up to me to pursue civil or even criminal action through the legal system if liability from the alleged perpetrator is denied?

What constitutes ‘negligent riding’ in a race?

Are there ‘standard’ race rules?

timothy_clifford

Postby timothy_clifford » 07 Apr 2014, 15:56

jonboy, I get the feeling you don't trust me.

On a serious note, I'd be interested in these answers (although I think I know the answer), and would be interested in attending.

ratzzzzz

Postby ratzzzzz » 07 Apr 2014, 21:11

I'd be interested in this. A brief run down of the types and rules of different types of racing. I'm def in the "not sure what's involved or how to get started" and "not sure how to train for racing" camp

PJCampbell

Postby PJCampbell » 08 Apr 2014, 10:27

I'm definitely interested in this event. I need to justify the cost of the race license to start with, and am interested to hear thoughts on training tips (appropriate terrain training, longer distance training etc) and possibly find some allies for the G2I later in the year. Training for this will be in full swing by May so further tips would be greatly appreciated.

If it could be covered; race etiquette (if there is any?) (other than the obvious no argey bargey etc). I'm only going off what I see the pro's do in the Spring Classics and Grand Tours.

Looking forward to it!

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 08 Apr 2014, 19:19

Some sample questions:

What recourse do I have if another rider in a race rides in a negligent manner, causing me to crash, resulting in (possibly permanent) personal injury and costly damage to my bike?

What support does the club, the race organisers and / or Cycling NSW provide in these circumstances, or is it up to me to pursue civil or even criminal action through the legal system if liability from the alleged perpetrator is denied?

What constitutes ‘negligent riding’ in a race?

Are there ‘standard’ race rules?
Apart from the last question I think we'll have to rule the others out of scope (unless there's a racing litigation lawyer lurking in the ranks with experience in this stuff). We can point riders in the direction of the CA insurance policy but can't legally give advice on that. Maybe we can address it in general terms "risks of racing" or something but also make the point that the shoe could be on the other foot ...

jonboy

Postby jonboy » 08 Apr 2014, 21:49

Ok. I kinda knew the answer on those.

How about some easier questions:

1. Is a gentle shoulder nudge ok when overtaking through the middle of a crowded bunch sprint?

2. Is it ok to line up some team members across the road to block others from passing?

3. Is it ok to pass on the inside when cornering?

4. If a rider in front of me crashes do I have to stop to render assistance?

5. Will I be compensated for the time loss if I stop to assist a crashed rider?

6. What methodology is used to quantify the financial equivalent for the the loss of reputation from coming second in the case of rendering assistance to a rider?

7. Should I have pursued a career in the law?

christian

Postby christian » 09 Apr 2014, 10:11

Ok,

1. You are not allowed to deliberately contact another rider.

2. Read the rules and get back to us. http://www.nsw.cycling.org.au/Portals/1 ... 2013.6.pdf
For example, on the track unless it is a team event you cannot help riders from the same club, you could both be relegated. In an NRS race you are not allowed to work with another team. Generally cycling is an individual sport so you can't work as team, of course it does happen, just don't get caught.

3. Pass where ever you want on the road but if it is deemed to be unsafe by a commissaire and used to improve your position you may be relegated.

4. Not that I'm aware of, do you see any pros stopping to help fallen riders, nope.

5. Not if you don't have to stop.

6. Are you assuming you would have placed? No placing, no money.

7. Yes

Also if you really have these concerns especially your first set then maybe don't race.

rozza_b

Postby rozza_b » 10 Apr 2014, 22:12

I'll definitely be in for this, have been interested in racing for a fairly long time now, I just don't know where to start so for me any information at all will be great

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 13 May 2014, 22:13

OK all you people, if you want to race and go to this - please head over here and add your name to the list.

Return to “News and Announcements”