DHBC Juniors News

For all things Velodrome
michellebrown

Postby michellebrown » 08 Jul 2010, 15:50

A Chilly Hello to eveyone!

Well done you intrepid cyclists (and parents) who've been making it to training despite the cold - your perseverance has paid off in points!

Training
We had a really fun training session with Phil Kelly on Wednesday night - the wind having dried out the track sufficiently to train. Focus was on improving starts and individual time trial performance. There was a noticeable improvement in starts from the week before, which goes to show the value of practicing. We finished with a terrific wheel race - won by Hugo Venville, just in front of Seamus O'Sullivan and Hannah Kelly. Hugo V. now leads the point score! Thanks to all our handlers for making it possible.

Phil's busy next Wednesday organising open road races, but training will continue. Let me know by email, if there's anything you want to put in the programme in particular. Hope your races are a raging success Phil - and that the weather is kind to you.

Monday (12/7/2010) the U15/U17 pursuit team is off to Dunc Gray for training, but all juniors are welcome if they want to come along and train on the track. Meet at the veledrome at 9:30am with your bike and licence. Sign-on at the Bicycle NSW office and pay your $5 track fee. Last time we virtually had the track to ourselves, so it's a good time to get to know the track better. Alex Chubb and Tim Llewellyn should be able to attend to pass on their expertise and racing tips - promises to be a really good session.

Housekeeping
I attended the DHBC Committee meeting on Tuesday night (6th July) to introduce myself to the other committee members and report on our activities. In general the Committee is pleased with how the Juniors are comming along and has offered its support for our activities. I also thanked the Club and Lindsay in particular for providing the loan bikes and support which have made it possible for the Juniors to grow. The committee has agreed to incorporate junior racing in future club omniums - so that's something to look forward to, expecially for club level juniors!

Racing
The RAW series continues at Dunc Gray on Friday night. Hugo Venville will be competing again and Hugo Thompson is likely to join him this week. I think it'd be great if the non-racing juniors got out there one Friday night to cheer them along and see why RAW is so popular. Let me know which Friday would suit.

Road Riding
Don't forget I'll be on the Saturday Slowies ride from Mick Mazza's Shop in Marrickville Road on the 1st Saturday of each month (0630 start) to supervise any juniors who want to ride to Centennial Park and back for training. Mountain bikes are fine if you don't have a road bike. You are welcome on the ride any other Saturday provided you bring a parent, or guardian. Alternatively you can join us at Centennial Park, if you're concerned about riding to and from the park on the road.

Uniforms
I have several jerseys for sale at the discount price of $60. There are some small sizes that will fit our 11's and 13's too. I'll bring them to each training session for you to try on for size.

Greetings
Adolpho, Henry, Sam, we missed you this week...hope you're having a great school holiday wherever you are!

That's all for now,
keep rolling and keep warm!
Michelle Brown
DHBC Juniors
0412 442 550

Return to “Track”