DHBC Juniors Training & News

For all things Velodrome
michellebrown

Postby michellebrown » 05 Aug 2010, 15:52

Hi Everyone,

Finally the rain stayed away! We had a beaut roll up of ten people for training on a cool dry Wednesday night (4/8/10). Nice to see Thomas Cornish from Southern Cross back and an official welcome to Chris Hageman (U15) our newest DHBC member.

Phil Kelly put the riders through a tough session of sprints culminating in 2 lap derbies. Well done to Bill Bolton, Chris Hageman and Hugo Venville who crossed the line first in their respective groups.

Racing
Hugo Venville, Bill and Tom Bolton, also competed in the DHBC Omnium on Saturday the 31st of August. While Venville rode strongly, as always, special mention must go to Bill and Tom for competing in their first club race outside of training. Bill put in a huge effort to win the "human motorpace" event, and Tom (U13) dug deep to finish every event in a tough and talented field. Both looked a bit tired at the end, but were somewhat revived by the tasty sausage sandwiches. A great big thanks to Simon Llewellyn for running the event and accommodating the junior riders so well. Thanks also to the BBQ Chef! We hope other juniors will take the opportunity to compete in the next omnium.

Pursuit Training
Pursuit Training (U15/U17) has been re-scheduled for Monday night (9/8/10) - if that's O.K. with the weather gods! Riders from the other age groups are welcome. If there are enough, we can start some basic pursuit training for the younger riders. The U15/17 team will have priority on the track though, and it's important to follow any directions their coach makes, and be aware when they are working at speed! It's always hard to make a call about whether the track will be safe to ride when it has been raining. As a rule of thumb it needs to have not rained for several hours before training for the surface to dry out sufficiently. Feel free to phone or text me on the night if you need to. Wednesday training will take place regardless of the weather, with a roller session, if the track's closed.

Road Riding
Unless it's raining heavily, I'll be riding with the Slowies this Saturday (7/8/10) to supervise any Juniors who want to participate. Parents are encouraged to come along too, on this or any other Saturday. We meet at Mick Mazza's Bicycle Shop on Marrickville Road, ready to roll out at 6:30am sharp. Those that would rather meet us in Centennial Park, should drop me an email or text, so we can make arrangements to link up. Lindsay has generously offered to give a brief talk on bicycle maintenance in the cafe at the end of the ride, if there's enough interest.

Bike Week
DHBC is hosting a Bike Week event at Tempe Velodrome on Saturday the 25th of September, between 10am and 2pm. There'll be workshops, a swap-meet, BBQ and many other events, supported by Canterbury Council. Importantly, there'll also be demonstration races including DHBC Juniors. It'd be great if as many junior riders and their support teams as possible can get behind the event. Of course, it's an excellent way to promote the Club and recruit more junior members, so we hope you can find a space in your diaries for it. Why not bring a friend along?

Housekeeping
I cleaned the kitchen at the track...again. Do I get a medal? Here's a medal for Chris Venville who fixed the lap bell when it lost its clanger :D

I think that's about it for now,
till next time,
Keep rolling!

Michelle Brown
DHBC Juniors
0412 442 550

Return to “Track”