DHBC Juniors - Training and News 4th November 2010

For all things Velodrome
michellebrown

Postby michellebrown » 04 Nov 2010, 15:06

Hi Everyone,

With the track racing season just around the corner, training has been focusing on the types of races our riders will be competing in. On Wednesday we had 11 riders including friends from Lidcombe and Southern Cross. Riders were tested with 2 & 3 Lap Derbies, and Time Trials. Tom Bolton finished first in the 2 Lap final, followed by Weller, Rozdal and Goldsmith. Aaron Frater finished ahead in the 3 Lap final ahead of Venville,Bolton B., Kapruziak and Thompson. Well done everyone, it was a tough and fun session. Stats have been emailed as usual.

Sydney to the Gong
Hugo T, Seamus, Alexander and Hugo Venville are riding the 90K Sydney to the Gong this Sunday with some parents along for company. Alex K. suggests we meet at the cricket oval behind the hills in Sydney Park at 0600. Here's a map

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

I'll have my mobile with me on 0412 442 550.Those of you who want to ride as a group, call if you can't find us in the crush so we can meet and form a bunch. If you're joining after Sydney Park call and let us know where you're waiting. Incidentally, we're all jealous of Alexander's new road bike - in club colours too... lets see what he can do with it!

Maintenance
I'd like to encourage the older juniors U15-U17 to start taking more responsibility for maintenance on the loan track bikes. Before you ride you should always give your rig a quick safety check. Ensure the tyres are pumped to the right pressure. Ensure you have both plugs or end pieces in your handlebars. In a fall or crash the bars can twist and take a sizeable chunk out of you if the end pieces are missing. Check that the bolts holding your wheels to the frame are are firmly tightened. Check that the screws holding your cleats to your shoes are tight. Check your seat post is not swivelling and the clamp holding your saddle to its post is tightened. Put the front wheel between your knees and push the handlebars to either side to check if the headstem holding the bars needs tightening. You may also need to tighten the bolt holding the handlebars in place, from time to time. If you are changing pedals, remember the right pedal tightens clockwise the left pedal anti-clockwise. You should also know what size gears you are riding. U17s need a 6.5 metre roll out or less to meet race requirements; U15s 6.0-metres or less. Feel free to use the tools including tape measure, in the red juniors bag I bring along, but it's really important you return them as soon as you're finished.

Racing
At this stage the team for the U17 Team Sprint Championship on the 5th of December at Dunc Gray Velodrome will be Adolfo Velez, Bill Bolton and Hugo Venville with Chris Hageman in reserve. I have paid for the entry ($45.00) and we have until the 19th of November to make any changes to the team. The entry is in Hugo Venville's name as he is the team captain. We'll train each Monday from 6 pm until the race to maximise performance. I'll be at the track to supervise. We can't waste any time at training, as we need to clear the track for the adults by 7pm It is your responsibility to make sure you have a valid racing licence, team uniform and race ready bike. Let me know if you need help with any of this.

Stuff
Sam Weller will be off for a couple of weeks performing in the Newtown High Showcase. Have a great time Sam, but whatever you do don't "break a leg"! Henry Baird, Chris Kesoglou - where are you?

Till next time,
Keep Rolling,
Michelle Brown
DHBC Juniors
0412 442 550.

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 05 Nov 2010, 07:21

speaking of bike maintenance, the rainbow coloured jr bike is missing a wheel nut. Sorry Tom. i have another one that i'm bringing on saturday.

Return to “Track”