DHBC Juniors Training & News 18th November 2010

For all things Velodrome
michellebrown

Postby michellebrown » 18 Nov 2010, 18:16

Hi everyone,

Those offerings to the "rain gods" finally worked in time for training on Wednesday! Another bumper session with 13 riders - certainly not an unlucky number it seems. A special welcome to Ben Bower (U9) from St George Cycling Club who had his first ride at Tempe and took to the track like a duck to water. Training concentrated on group sprint races with Aaron Frater and Liam Doyle taking out their respective heats.

The DHBC U17 Team Sprinters, led out by Adolfo, followed by Bill and finisher Hugo V. recorded just a shave over one minute in both their rides. :P The Australian U17 Men's record for the event is a blistering 48.866 set in February this year by Evan Hull, Jack Cummings and Jacob Schmid of Victoria. Don't despair though, the fastest time in last season's NSW Team Sprint event @ Dunc Gray was set by Manning Valley C.C. at 53.478. Good work so far team, but some hard effort needed to shave off those extra seconds. Bill's impressive new track bike is sure to make the job easier though. Medals to Bill and his support team for committment to track racing. Thanks as always to the adults who act as handlers for the lads. :mrgreen:

The session continued with a Miss & Out (handicapped) won by a country mile by Aaron, but which produced some exciting competition for places with Chris Hageman taking out second and Tom Bolton third. Special mention to Tom and Chris for unfailing determination. (stats have been emailed)

We finished off with a wheel race for our progressive point score series. It came down to a sprint for the wire between Hannah and Tom with Hannah prevailing by less than half a wheel. One of out newer riders (sporting new facial hair?) Callum from SX took out third - great effort there Callum. Thankyou Phil and Simon B. for spme top handicapping. Hannah Kelly and the Bolton brothers are breathing down Hugo Venville's neck in the progressive point score series! (stats emailed)

Road
Juniors interested in the Sunday bunch ride to Waterfall (6:20 from Mick Mazza's Cyclery on Marrickville Road) , need to have an adult supervising. If you want to go and a parent can't ride with you. Let me know in good time and I'll come along. The Club has decided new start times for the bunches (which are sorted by average speed) won't take effect until the new year. Details are on the website.

I'll be on the Saturday slowies (6:30 from Mick Mazza's) ride this week, if any juniors are unaccompanied, but will be stopping a little later in the park for the inaugural meeting of the DHBC women's group.

Stuff
Aaron Frater is selling his original track bike (which he's now too big for). Might be just the right bike for you contact me if you want his email address.

Don't for get to check your ride or racing licence to make sure it hasn't expired. This is essential. Once you have a licence you can renew very easily on-line at the Cycling NSW website.

X-Mas Party
The DHBC Christmas Party will be held upstairs at the Newington Inn on Tuesday December the 21st from 7:30pm. Tickets $10 from Camilla or Simon L.

I think that's all for now.

Keep rolling,
Michelle Brown
DHBC Juniors Officer
0412 442 550

Return to “Track”