DHBC Juniors Training & News 2nd March 2011

For all things Velodrome
michellebrown

Postby michellebrown » 03 Mar 2011, 15:11

Hi Everyone,

Lots of news this week. Congratulations to the U17 DHBC Men's Pursuit Team. They managed a P.B. at the titles at Dunc Gray Velodrome last Saturday, finishing 5th out of eight teams with a time of 2:38:815 (over 2000m) - missing out on the ride off for bronze by just one second. Great result guys - we're very proud of you. Thanks to the handlers on the day and the parents who supported the riders - it's truly a team effort! I was really pleased and proud to hear the race announcer give a big wrap to Tom Bolton who entered all the junior carnival event races on the day and did some great times against older and bigger riders. The announcer also praised the club for getting juniors back racing for the first times in decades. Our friends from Southern Cross, including Evan Pignatelli and Hannah Kelly, also pulled off some great rides - so hats off to you all too.

Good luck to the Southern Cross riders travelling to Dubbo for the junior titles this weekend, we hope you return with lots of P.B.s and medals.

Training
This week focused on group sprinting and we saw some fine competition unfold. 3 Lap lead outs saw two first places for elite rider Emma Sprouster, a 2nd place each for Adolfo and Bill, while Adolfo took out the 3 lap derby. Among the younger riders, Connor Peters excelled with two 1st places in the 2 lap derby, Tom and Sam sharing a 2nd each. Hugo Venville prevailed in the 4 lap derby, with Chris Hageman and Bill Bolton close behind. In the Miss & Out (handicap) race, congratulations to Bill Bolton, with close rival Chris Hageman in second place and Bill's brother Tom Bolton in 3rd. Special mention to Connor Peters who held off many other riders for 4th place with a determined effort. These riders are really pulling out the stops at the moment! Results have been emailed. Thanks to Phil and Brian, Donna, Chris and everyone who helps keep things running so smoothly.

Road Riding
DHBC Juniors had decided to pay a visit to the Southern Cross Road Races this Sunday the 6th of March. It may be better to defer the excursion for one week because Sutherland has entered the Dubbo Track Titles. If anyone is still very keen to ride this Sunday with the C25 bunch to Sutherland and then back with me, please let me know by phone, text or email. If I don't hear from you I'll assume there are no takers this Sunday. DHBC Junior U17 and up can ride with the Saturday slowies to Centennial Park without a parent or adult guardian, so long as they have parental permission, obey road rules and take direction from the bunch leaders. If any juniors are interested, we can practice bunch riding skills in the park, so let me know. If you would like me to accompany you on any of these rides let me know ahead of time. This also goes for the Waterfall ride bunches on Sunday.

Training Opportunity
Dedicated cyclist supporter Donna Bolton spotted this notice for a Cycling NSW/ NSW Institute of Sport, school holiday road training camp. Please note you have to make your "expression of interest" before the 7th of March. There's a number below you can telephone if you need more information:

April 2011 CNSW/NSWIS Junior Road Training Camp Bathurst Monday 11 - Friday 15th April 2011
Cycling NSW with the support of NSWIS and our Regional Academy Network are pleased to advise Junior members (12 – 17years) of our inaugural week long Academy road training camp which will be held in Bathurst from 11 – 15 April immediately following the B2B weekend of events.

Kurt Polock, Cycling NSW’s Regional Coaching & Development Coordinator is encouraging all Junior cyclists between the ages of 12 and 17 years (boys and girls) to register their expression of interest with Cycling NSW to attend the camp where they will train alongside Academy athletes and under the guidance of Kurt and top NSW Institute of Sport and Regional Academy coaches.

Participants will receive expert Coaching and Tuition from Guest Coaches and Speakers such as Kurt Polock, Mick Kejda, Sean Eadie and Natalie Bates who will be attending the camp and will be joined by many of Cycling NSW’s regional Academy Coaches.

Cycling NSW will be contributing $5,000 towards the cost of the week long training camp from its Junior Development fund which will focus on skills, team training, time trialling, intensity, preparation, programs and bike maintenance.

All athletes will stay in Bathurst Goldfields lodge located on the Mount Panorama Race circuit. Coaching staff including chaperones will be on sight to oversee all aspects of the camp. All sessions will be conducted on or around the Mount Panorama facilities or surrounding areas.

This camp has been designed to follow the B2B weekend of activities in Bathurst and is the forerunner to a weeklong festival of Cycling events Cycling NSW is working with Bathurst City Council to implement in the future.

It is hoped that in 2012 the camp will culminate in additional race events being conducted the weekend following the B2B events and training camp which will include Criterium races and team road races vying for the NSW Academy’s Cup.

Cycling NSW is currently negotiating with the Bathurst Goldfields for accommodation refer to link http://www.bathurstgoldfields.com.au/ed ... ation.html

All meals will be included as part of the package.

To get things moving we require Junior riders to register their expression of Interest by email to chris.kazub@cycling.org.au confirming your interest in attending the camp subject to confirmation of camp costs.

Please advise Chris your-

· Name:

· Club:

· Date of Birth;

· Category you compete in:

· Gender (male/female)

· Academy if applicable:

Kids, don’t forget you must have Mum/Dads consent to attend. Numbers may need to be limited to around 50 riders plus coaches.

Register your interest before Monday 7th March to secure your spot in what will be a fabulous week long Cycling road training and development camp.

Any queries please telephone Kevin Young, CEO Cycling NSW on 9738 5850.

Sounds like a heap of fun, I wish I could sign on!

Licences
Many of you with recreational licences issued last year, will find they're up for renewal. Follow the link below to renew quickly and easily on-line:

http://www.cycling.bvit.com.au/

Then select Membership, then Membership on-line. Your password is your surname+postcode (nospaceinbetween)

You need a valid Cycling Australia licence before you can ride at Tempe Velodrome. If you are applying for your first licence, Select - Membership - Membership Categories - then click the "JOIN NOW" button at the bottom of the page.

Nuts & Bolts
The DHBC Executive has approved the purchase of a mobile tool kit and roller for Juniors to use - especially when we go to race meetings. I'll be asking for help to compile an inventory of the tools and spare components we need, and to gather quotes. I'd also like to compile an inventory of the loan bikes used by DHBC Juniors, so we can keep track of them (no pun intended) and keep up to date with maintenance and gear ratios etc. I'd be grateful for any help with that too - and it's a great way to learn more about track bikes.

Welcomes
Finally, it's my pleasant duty to welcome some potential new members to the Club, the three Wallace sisters Alison, Tess and Mia (sister #4 Angela is a tad too young just yet) and Francis Teow. We hope you had fun at your first session and that we see you back at the track really soon. Tallis Boernemarcus has just signed on to become our newest member - welcome Tallis, it's terrific to have you aboard.

That's all for now, but if you have any questions, feel free to contact me by return email or by text or telephone on: 0412 442 550

Till next time,
Keep rolling,
Michelle Brown
DHBC Juniors

Return to “Track”