DHBC Juniors Training & News 16th March 2011

For all things Velodrome
michellebrown

Postby michellebrown » 17 Mar 2011, 14:21

Hi Everyone,

Alas rain interrupted our training session on Wednesday, but everyone still got to do a bit of riding. Thanks again to Phil Kelly and Donna Bolton for their efforts. Statistics are attached as usual. In general if it's raining the track is closed for safety reasons, but we will hold an indoor session using the rollers and fixed trainers, so everyone can keep fit.

Welcome
To our newest member Francis Teow and his family. Thanks to his dad Peter, who's always ready to lend a hand. The Wallace sisters, Alison, Tess and Mia have been gaining confidence weekly and have been off around the duck board already - won't be long until all our new riders can join in with the main group at training. Thanks to all the parents who come to watch and help every week, it's a great team effort that makes the session really enjoyable for everyone!

Equipment
With all the new members, we have run out of appropriately sized track bikes to lend! For the moment everyone has a rig to train with, but we are on the look out for small sized frames for the younger juniors to buy. We need 48cm and 51cm frames especially if anyone knows of second hand bikes up for sale - or good deals on new bikes.

Road Riding
Hugo Venville and I rode up to the Southern Cross race track at Sutherland last Sunday. Hugo competed in the B Grade race and certainly impressed with a really big effort. Racing at Sutherland is very pleasant and well organised and we were made to feel very welcome. The course is well designed and has a pristine surface so racing is very enjoyable. It's a great place for juniors to get a start in road racing, especially since there are plenty of juniors to compete against and no cars to compete with. It would be fantastic to go again some time soon with more riders from the DHBC Juniors. Let me know if you're interested and we'll organise it. You need a racing licence and a road bike to compete, but it's also fine if you just want to ride up and just check out the scene.

Licences
Those of you who have paid for but not yet received your licences through the post at home, shouldn't fret as it sometimes takes quite a while. Let me know if you are concerned and I can make enquiries on your behalf. Those who've paid for a racing licence, but not yet received their card, can present a receipt from Cycling Australia as proof to enter races. NB Ewan - your form has been submitted by the DHBC Secretary, so I expect you'll receive your "Ride for All" licence soon.

Bouquets
Can I just say, that I've been involved in kids sport for many years now, and I have never found a nicer bunch of young people and parents than I have at the DHBC Junior sessions. It really makes it all the more worthwhile.

That's all for now,
till next time - keep rolling
Michelle Brown
DHBC Juniors

timyone

Postby timyone » 20 Mar 2011, 09:12

hi to Francis Teow and his family.
Every one should check out the racing at southern cross

Return to “Track”