DHBC Juniors Training News and Statistics 31st August 2011

For all things Velodrome
michellebrown

Postby michellebrown » 02 Sep 2011, 16:33

Hi Everybody,
there's no better indication that Spring has sprung than the return of magpies and plovers to Tempe training and just like clockwork they appeared... now if only we could get some of our friends from Southern Cross C.C. to return! Hope to see you back soon riders. Welcome to potential new member Taku Rogers and his dad James who came to check out Juniors Training. We're looking forward to seeing you again next week for a try-out.

Unfortunately riders had to put up with my coaching this week, but it was for a good cause. Phil Kelly and Theo managed to get the motopace bike up and running for a welcome return. Big shiny chrome medals to you both! Training was a mixed bag of sprint derbies, time trials and flying 200m lead outs. Special mention for Tom Bolton who backed up for two lead outs in a row and won the second with buckets of determination. Also impressive was Oskar Wesley Smith who recorded a 14:66 with his Flying 200m time trial and Jake Grierson broke 16 seconds in his first ever Flying 200. More experienced riders will have to keep an eye on these two. A clanking gold also for Francis Teow who won his sprint derby (time for a tougher handicap I think), mucked in with the older riders in the warm up, and had his first go behind the motopace bike. Wins also to Bill Bolton (X2) and Oskar Wesley Smith. A very honourable mention to Alexander Kapruziak who stuck to Bill's wheel for an impressive 2nd in the seven rider sprint derby. Bill had better watch his back from now on! Results and times have been emailed as usual.

Licences
You need a licence to train on the track with DHBC Juniors. This insures you in case of accidents, and covers you for training on the road as well. You need a "Ride for All" licence if you're just in it for fun and a "Junior Racing" licence if you want to enter competitions. Follow the link to obtain a licence on-line:

http://www.cycling.org.au/default.asp?P ... 0013/39143

Age Categories
This can be confusing, but here's the last word:

http://www.nsw.cycling.org.au/default.a ... n/20232/0/

National Junior Track Series :idea:
Those of you with racing licences have until Sunday the 25th of September to enter the National Junior Track Series to be held at Dunc Gray Velodrome on Friday the 7th of October. It would be great to see as many of you as possible enter, and test yourself against other club riders in competition. It's for the U15 & U17 age categories and you need a racing licence (or to upgrade to a racing licence) to enter. Let me know if you're entering, and if you need me along for support. Follow this link for more information and the entry portal:
http://www.nsw.cycling.org.au/cy_nsw/ra ... /11150.htm

Fashion on the Track
The inaugural fashion trophy goes to Pat from the adults team for his freaked out psychedelic log-legged nicks - it'll be a long time before anyone takes the trophy from him. :oops: Super helpers badges to Chris Venville for dealing with the tricky tube that goes flat for no particular reason and Lizanne - who's alway happy to lend a hand. Star of encouragement to Donna Bolton for keeping her tea in its cup and indefatigable enthusiasm for junior cycling.

Magpie Protection :twisted:
I have cable ties for helmets in the kit bag if anyone is bothered by our feathered black & white friends.

That's all for now,
sorry the newsletter is a day late,
but better late than never,
till next time... keep rolling
Michelle Brown
DHBC Juniors
0412 442 550

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 02 Sep 2011, 22:10

Thanks for the great reports Michelle. I love hearing what the juniors are up to.

There's been a regular contingent of juniors at RAW with Hugo, Chris, Tom and Bill turning up a number of times. Plus a couple of others whose names I don't know. I've been impressed with the juniors' willingness to race and be competitive in a number of divisions. With restricted gearing, there's been some good placings and solid riding. Plenty of track skills too and certainly more than some of the adults especially in Div 5!

It's great to be part of a club that has depth across the divisions with plenty of young riders coming through.

Return to “Track”