NSW Masters Track Championship 2nd - 4th Feb, close 22nd Jan

For all things Velodrome
mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 09 Jan 2012, 22:11

MarkL

Postby MarkL » 11 Jan 2012, 11:15

I'm keen for Sat and Sun.
Not sure whether to do both events on Sat.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 11 Jan 2012, 13:40

I'm keen for Sat and Sun.
Not sure whether to do both events on Sat.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk
Since your there you may as well, no point turning up for just 1 race hey!!

weller

Postby weller » 11 Jan 2012, 14:23

I'm looking at the Sunday Scratch Race only.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 15 Jan 2012, 22:28

I've entered;
- Individual Pursuit (Thu)
- Points (Sat)
- Scratch (Sun)

I'm available for Team Sprint if anyone wants to enter a team

timyone

Postby timyone » 18 Jan 2012, 15:13

I would like to enter some thing, but like Homer Simpson falling asleep when he was a youngin as his mum said here is the tricky bit, I seem to get tired at the sounds of it. Explainable.

timyone

Postby timyone » 22 Jan 2012, 09:52

ok im in for sprint points scratch

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 22 Jan 2012, 18:49

Entries close tonight. If anyone wants to put a team in, then put it in tonight

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 24 Jan 2012, 16:49

I entered 3 things, but can't remember what. Must train. Oh that's right, can't.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 31 Jan 2012, 12:43

I've withdrawn from the NSW Masters Track Championships

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 05 Feb 2012, 15:51

Results from the DHBC Women at the Track at the State Championships!

The field of women was small but competitive. Jo (Trouty) walked away with 3 medals in the TT, Points Race and Scratch Race.

Nothing much for me to say about the TT as it was the first one I have ever done. The gates weren't working so I still haven't started out of a gate (bad time to try and learn that particular skill I suspect). You only get a medal in the TT if there are more than a certain number in the race, or you are within a small percentage of the record. Given the record in WMAS5 was set by Lise Benjamin, world record holder, I had no chance but it's good to get a time because I'm sure I can improve on that one. Plus my pre-event preparation of ACE250 and no track riding wasn't going to set me up well. Legs felt, well, tired and not like sprinter's legs. Which is funny, because last Sunday they didn't feel like hill climbers' legs. :)

The Points Race was women from all Divisions in together and run over 40 laps. It set off fairly fast and I soon got dropped but Jo was staying in up the front. I kept riding though because there were only 5 ahead of me and anything could happen up the front, people can blow up and ... and the Commissaire didn't pull me out of the race. I got lapped once by Jo and twice by the women who won the race. Jo did a great job to come in third in this race as few women were working together, or able to work together actually.

In the 20 lap Scratch Race the women were divided into WMAS4-8 and the lower grades. Jo said I had a chance, I wasn't so sure. Jayne Paine and Jo took off a few laps in, I tried to chase but soon realised this wasn't going to happen. I settled down and worked with Bathurst riders Marian Renshaw and Rosemary Hastings for a few laps until Jayne lapped us. Marian sprinted and got on her wheel, I couldn't get across. Rode a few laps by myself, breathing like a puffing billy until I gave myself a good talking to and started breathing properly and then was gaining on Marian until I caught her about 2 laps from the end. Sat on her wheel to recover telling myself "I am an endurance rider and just did the ACE, I can come back and pull this off". And then it was bell lap. Rosemary had also caught us by this point and was sitting on my wheel. I'm cluelessly wondering what to do as I come round the corner into the back straight and heard the DHBC boys yelling "Go now" so I took their advice without question, sprinted like I've never sprinted before and passed Marian about 20m out from the line. Thanks for the advice!

Jo rode most of this race by herself, with Jayne off the front and us too far behind to make ourselves a nuisance. A time trial she wasn't expecting I bet! Great job to hang on and get bronze in this.

I saw Crafty on the way out and he said "the Gold in your Division was good, but the race for 3rd in the actual race was the best bit. Great ride." :)

Here's some podium shots. We didn't get any pics of the racing because we were in them.

Jo getting Silver in the TT

Jo getting Bronze in the Points Race

Jo getting Silver, me getting Gold in my Division (and 3rd in the race) in the Scratch Race.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 05 Feb 2012, 20:47

I guess the 2 highlights for me were a bit unexpected. Although I got 2 silvers in sprint events I'd been training for (& a pb for the TT), they didn't mean as much as the Bronze in the Points race that I wasn't too keen to enter, knowing I didn't have the endurance for it. I came off the track feeling I had done all I could, and it was the first time I had ever been part of a break away that took a lap on the field. Racing against Michelle Crawford and Jayne Paine is always hard but they push you to ride better and think better - so I really learned a lot and felt I accomplished some thing.

Funnily enough the 2nd highlight for me was Eleri's 3rd overall and Gold for her Division, in her first NSW Scratch State Championship. I knew she could win or place in her division and told her so (but she didn't look convinced). At the last few laps I could see across the track to the Bathurst rider (Marian Renshaw - mother of Mark Renshaw Rabobank) but Eleri wasn't close. I couldn't see her but I was suffering badly and gasping for air at that point. She must have really put in a big sprint at the back straight to overtake Marian as not long after I crossed the finish, I heard them call Eleri for 3rd - WOOOHOOO!!! Maybe it was a highlight for me as it was a case of some one just deciding to have a go and coming out with a Gold. Didn't matter that she had never done start gates, didn't matter than she had only done endurance miles, didn't matter that she just started track last year as a Novice at Raw. Now I've convinced her the Aussie Champs are next !! Well done Eleri.

Good to see a few of the boys race too, although there were a lot fewer than I remember from last year. Mark Lacey, Ian Denker, Des & Timmy Llewellyn were the only ones I saw this year. Ian was sick and not in his usual form, Lacey just came of the back of riding 250km of Alpine but did pretty well, and Timmy - well - he actually looked like he was really enjoying himself in the scratch race today. I guess racing Masters is a bit more fun than getting spat out the back by the likes of the Law brothers. Note: Des is a life member and is currently Masters 10 or some thing - he currently rides in his only DHBC jersey which is totally ripped - do you think we could give him a jersey? I'm sure we could take up a small collection if the club can't.

Anyway - till next year, hopefully we get a few more DHBC Masters (woman and men).
Last edited by Trouty on 06 Feb 2012, 05:25, edited 1 time in total.

rhys

Postby rhys » 05 Feb 2012, 21:41

Nice reports, and well done to both of you!

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 06 Feb 2012, 08:10

congrats ladies!

patn

Postby patn » 06 Feb 2012, 09:34

Awesome! Congrats!

Return to “Track”