Junior Metro Championships

For all things Velodrome
bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » 30 Jan 2013, 21:25

OK guys, it's time to get onto the CNSW web site and register for the Junior Metropolitan Championships. It's being held at Lidcombe Oval on the 17th of February and entries close on the 3rd of Feb.

It's on the same size and style track as the Dubbo based State Champs, which are a few weeks later.

There's no better way to get ready than to come out and participate in the Metros.

For the first time ever, we're giving medals for male and females in ALL AGE DIVISIONS. That means it will be girls versus girls and boys versus boys in all age divisions. No mixed grades!

Go to the CNSW site and register now. The best $10 training session you'll get before the states.

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 02 Feb 2013, 09:23

William is registered!

James Rogers

Postby James Rogers » 03 Feb 2013, 09:45

Taku's in too.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » 04 Feb 2013, 12:31

Thanks for registering guys. It looks like we'll have over 60 riders, which will make it the biggest junior metros in many, many, many, many years. I don't know if it's a resurgence of interest in cycling, or whether people like our sausages. Either way it's great.

See you all there.

BTW, Friday nights at Lidcombe Oval is a great way to practice. $5 entry for juniors and a chance to win your money back each night. $10 for adults and a chance to win more than your entry back.

James Rogers

Postby James Rogers » 17 Feb 2013, 16:18

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » 17 Feb 2013, 20:48

Great work today Taku. All of the Dulwich Hill mob did really well and showed a great deal of character. I was quite impressed with the new riders from DHBC riding in their first championships, they showed guts out there today. You're all welcome to come back and ride with us anytime. Good luck in the upcoming State championships.

colin

Postby colin » 17 Feb 2013, 21:59

What a great day, the rain stayed away. We had 9 how riders who ventured out to Lidcombe. We filled most ages but we had no U9’s or U15 girls.

I won't go into a blow by blow recap but the racing was exciting and everyone was outstanding.
  • Mia Wallace was just off the pace in the Time Trial, second in the starch race and third in the Derby final. Great result for her first carnival, U11 Girls
    Luka Dagarin was fastest in the Time Trail and a second in the Derby. Achieved a silver for Junior Metro Championships - U11 boys
    Tess Wallace was second in the Time Trial, third in the scratch race, and second in the Derby. Achieved a silver for Junior Metro Championships - U13 Girls
    Alison Wallace, third in all events so achieved a bronze for Junior Metro Championships - U17 Women
    Tom Bolton, third in all events so achieved a bronze for Junior Metro Championships - U17 Men
Our other racers, Will Kirkham, Caitlin Williamson, Taku Rogers and Broughton Caley, although not placing put in exception efforts using great tactics. Well done all.

Congratulations to our friends from NSCC, Ashlee and Alex Jones, for taking out the U13 girls and U11 boys Metros respectively and Cait Surgenor from Easts for a second U17 women’s Metros

We also got second in the Junior Metro Club Cup, with LACC first and Southern Cross third
For full results see http://lacc.org.au/images/stories/files/metros.xls

James Rogers

Postby James Rogers » 18 Feb 2013, 06:31

I agree, it was a great day; fantastic efforts by all racers, with great support from parents and siblings! The canteen was propped up by Taku — I think he ate his body-weight in sausages. And thanks for the marquee Colin, sheer luxury.

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 18 Feb 2013, 07:30

first thing i did when i got home last night was call Collin to see how the team went. I'm so proud of all you guys! congrats on the great efforts.

timyone

Postby timyone » 18 Feb 2013, 07:41

Great work lads and lasses!!! thats a heaps good pic of Taku too!

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 18 Feb 2013, 08:35

How good is it to see the next crop of DHBCers? LACC had it all going on at their home track at Lidcombe Oval. Despite their tender age the kids had to submit to the wants of the Commissaires. Helmets and Rollouts were checked most studiously after the mandatory sign on and dossard issue from officials. As a concerned parent this gives the Bride and I a great deal of comfort.

A big vote of thanks to Colin and others I am sure, for erecting a marque and table. He was ready with cogs to adjust rollouts should it be needed. It was also nice to see Rexine Jones and her kids from NSCC whom train with us. I was very proud at the way our “kitted” kids cheered loudly for the Jones kids despite their NSCC kits. Mates before colours is a very good value to hold.

LACC, of course had a very strong turnout. With our nine riders in Red we certainly held our ground. William had his first race in the Under 11 time trial. Luca also represented the Club in this event. Once the times were posted it was clear we had the other surrounded. Luca first! Great effort Luca. William came in stone motherless last, however with a huge grin on his face. It good to see that I have passed on some quality DNA to the spawn.

William’s second ride was the two lap derby. After the race he gave me a blow by blow of his ride. “Dad, I knew Luca was strong so I tried to help him. Then I got boxed in.” Great work mate and super tactical thinking. I didn’t have the heart to tell him that the best way he could help Luca was to not get in his way. With regard to being boxed in. Well William that will only last as long as it takes for the other riders to be past you! I am not bursting his bubble.

Having said that. William must have picked up a bit from his two races. In his Repechage he managed a strong third out of five and was gaining on the second place getter. He was very pleased with himself.

The final event for William being the scratch race was a highlight. My highlight was the mass start of 11 riders that all managed to stay upright at the rollout. I was peeking through my fingers with my hands covering my eyes. William again tried to help Luca and got boxed in. Luckily, that was all very brief. He then spent the next two laps chasing the bunch and keeping two other riders at bay.

At the conclusion of his events he was spent. I could tell from the look in his eyes that we have reached the end of his tether and I had better go. I apologise for not being part of the pack up crew. I promise to help out next time.

Congratulations to all our riders. William is fortunate to ride with good mates and enjoy a wonderful social experience. As always kudos to Colin, James and Lizanne for making it happen.
Last edited by Dougie on 18 Feb 2013, 11:10, edited 1 time in total.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 18 Feb 2013, 09:46

That is just wonderful! Good on DHBC juniors for being good sports on and off the track. And for winning stuff and for coming second in the points with just 9 riders.

Now I say "just 9 riders" but that's fantastic for our junior program to have a race team that size. Certainly wasn't happening even last year so that in itself is a result.

Congratulations to you all, to parents and to Colin, James and Lizanne!

jcaley

Postby jcaley » 20 Feb 2013, 09:27

More photos of the Juniors at Metro cup can be viewed on my picasa album at the link below. Contact me if you can't download any you want.
https://plus.google.com/photos/11493453 ... rIjCgZTIKA

John

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 20 Feb 2013, 09:50

Thanks!
the little munchkins look so good!

Return to “Track”