Finally some success at Dunc! (Clarence st cup.)

For all things Velodrome
Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 03 Feb 2008, 10:55

Well last night was a funny night to say the least. I don't think I have ever felt so sick in my life after a bike race & that was only the opening scratch. I really shouldn't of eaten that pizza in the afternoon. But non the less I managed to scrape my self off the floor & back on to the bike. Which turned out to be a good move.... Here's the story in pictures...

As usual the two men for the club were me & Tim....

The opening scratch races were difficult. Tim rode hard and well, whilst I got caught out twice and could only pull back third in the sprint. Just missing out on direct qualification in the wheel race final.

In the wheel race repreacharges, me & Tim once again drew the same heat. At the front of the race Tim did some hard turns. Whilst from the scratch mark in the heat (except for an outlier way back), I got a cruisey run to to main bunch.

I had plenty in the tank & with 2 laps to go put in the winning move. Taking half a lap off the field and was able to sit up over the finish line for an easy win.

Mean while Tim had a missing out to ride. He actually rode this race very well, not really put into any difficulty till mid way through the race. But was then caught out and was eliminated.

I had my well wishers with Lindsay coming down from the stands to give me some encouragement before the big wheel race final. There was a lot of confidence in the DHBC camp.

The final was fast & I actually don't remember the start too well. It is always a fight to get good positioning. But I was sitting sweet with about 2 & 1/2 laps to go when the scratchies came flying through. I easily got a good wheel to be carted into the finishing line.

Into the final bend and I knew I was in the money, but it was a fight right to line!!!

After spending all night trying keep the pizza from coming up, I was very happy to get a high finish (5th place) & break my drought at Dunc Gray...

If you believe that a person is judged by the company they keep I was moving up in the cycling world, surround by a current state, national & world champion.

Tim however was still trying to work out why it was that all the other grades were quicker yet his had the most disc wheels?

& into the final scratch races. Tim continued to push but as with all events the enduros always get up at the end of the night whilst I was blasted by the A/B grade Time blaster...

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 03 Feb 2008, 11:16

Congratulations! Sounded like a fantastic evening at the races. A good spectator crowd there too.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 03 Feb 2008, 11:29

Congrats Simon.

No wonder you looked knacked this morning!

othy

Postby othy » 03 Feb 2008, 12:17

Well done. The disc wheel comment gave me a good laugh.

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 03 Feb 2008, 14:44

It was fun out at Dunc Grey last night. My first time to the velodrome so I was going to enjoy it one way or the other, but it was especially great to see you do so well Simon. Tim too, who had a few killer laps. Congratulations!

Glad we didn't view the pizza though.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 03 Feb 2008, 15:05

It was fun out at Dunc Grey last night. My first time to the velodrome so I was going to enjoy it one way or the other, but it was especially great to see you do so well Simon. Tim too, who had a few killer laps. Congratulations!
Maybe it will be you in main stage next!!! :D

Eugen Schilter

Postby Eugen Schilter » 03 Feb 2008, 18:02

Congratulations; top job you two; the photos and the podium looks great.
Does Tim reall need two disks at the front?
Confirming to never give up on your legs!

timyone

Postby timyone » 03 Feb 2008, 18:42

man i didnty have an amazing night, but it was still all fun hey :D
man i love the track :D

Eugen Schilter

Postby Eugen Schilter » 04 Feb 2008, 20:22

Watch and read it all on CyclingNews. What a show Simon! :lol:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/track.php?id ... ncestcup08

Huw

Postby Huw » 05 Feb 2008, 10:18

Simon, that is awesome. Great stuff.

Return to “Track”