Le Parc Heffron 15.5.10

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Julio

Postby Julio » 15 May 2010, 19:18

Its as easy as 1.2.3 for DHBC in D grade

In what was a messy final three laps that left DHBC riders Mark 'Julio 'Renshaw and Mark 'Anthony' Cavendish showing how they thrive at the height of chaos by going one, two in today’s Saturday Le Parc Heffron Criterium . "The last k' was anything but easy," Mark 'Anthony' Cavendish said. "Before that, it was a bit physical but it's always going to be - it's D grade at Le Parc Heffron. Everyone wants to win."

After Mark 'Julio 'Renshaw forced a perilous 3 man move to go clear some 3 laps from the finish which sent the rest into panic, he still had the energy and ability to control the race right to the line. While the preceding kilometres were unique, the scenario in the final five-hundred metres had an uncanny sense of déjà-vu, as lead-out man extraordinaire Mark 'Julio 'Renshaw played a familiar final hand to give the young Marrickville student his first career win.

"It was left to just me and Mark 'Julio' Renshaw," Cavendish said of his first triumph. "He took off with 500 metres to go because of the headwind and didn't slow down at all. He kept the pace and I was able to swing right off his wheel to take my win."

Right hand to his ear as if calling home to mum in Marrickville, left hand pointing repeatedly at his club shirt, it was a gesture more than salute. Sydney Inner West Massif’s cycling's most liked cyclist of 09/10 Mark 'Anthony' Cavendish pulled off the cheeky though clever stunt as Sydney Uni's John (ex DHBC rider) was left in the wake of his opponent to finish a distant third.

p.s none of the above may have happened but hell, why let the truth get in the way of a good story.

over the hill

Postby over the hill » 15 May 2010, 20:53

oui , helas all zat monsieur le Julio de la piscine sayz is true - zat anthony c'est un coureur vite-put his ed back in his books- next time je vais gagner!

timyone

Postby timyone » 16 May 2010, 15:31

lol!!!!!!!!!! how good is that! and i love the retelling!! i dont care how it happened, but sounds amazing!

micklan

Postby micklan » 16 May 2010, 21:15

Well done fellas. Congratulations. C grade next week. :?:

Anthony

Postby Anthony » 17 May 2010, 15:33

The truth must come out! Although Julian's story telling ability is legendary.

Only 4 DHBC riders Craig (Weller), Gi (G), Julian (Mark 'Julio' Renshaw), myself and one DHBC member at heart, John (over the hill) were at heffron on saturday.

It seemed like everything was happening at heffron, from dogs running onto the track, young chaps flashing their butts at the peloton and angry C graders. Also this was Gi's first ever race, and ended up finishing the race in D grade with Julian and I whilst Craig was racing in B grade.

Started at 2:00 with D grade the first to leave with about 7 riders with a decent headwind along the finishing straight. A randwick rider broke away from the pack as soon as the gun went and Julian went straight to the front and set the pace which left the randwick rider dangling out about 40meters in front on his own for two laps. During the first lap John had a hairy moment with the bike wobbling as he took the left bend before the squircle, he then corrected it and veered to the far right of the track and i ended up going onto the grass to avoid his wheel. The randwick rider then rejoined the group and rode on the front for about 3 laps straight and during this time a german shephard ran onto the track infront of D grade riders and straight into the leg of a guy in the higher grades as he was overtaking D grade. He did an awesome job keeping it together and staying upright while the dog then stopped in the middle for abit and then ran back off the track (Brought back glimpses of the Tour de France with Marcus Burghardt).

I then decided to go to the front to do abit of work since the randwick rider was on the front for so long. I stayed on the front for two laps and then waved John through and he upped the pace straight away for a lap. For the next few laps it seemed as though no one really wanted to do a turn on the front so it was shared between the randwick rider, John and I. On the 10th lap Julian told me to go up front and ease the pace and that he'd attack on the squircle, and attacked he did. He flew right past me and John was the only rider who was able to bridge the gap and dragged me along in the process. As soon as John caught Julian i attacked again but it was probably one of the worse attacks in Heffron racing history, i went and only got about 100meters infront until my calf cramped up and pretty much stopped dead in my tracks (it would've looked like a sprinter pulling a hamstring except on a bike).
I managed to ride it off and took me about half a lap to get back onto John and Julian.

And that was going to be the group that would finish the race. Sharing the pace to make sure we wouldn't be caught. In the final lap Julian went to the front and from the squircle i told Julian to go and i heard his gears going clickity click and then him screaming something or going "arghh" from my recollection and then dashed for the finish. I didn't go with Julian and so John had to go around me and close the gap and again taking me along for the ride and then i went for the sprint about 300meters out and gave it everything to get first. Julian got second by a nose with John in Third.

All in all and fun day out. Craig finished i think 8th in B grade and Gi finished his first ever crit race.

Although i still think Julian's version is a much better recount of what happened.

And on paper Julian was the winner.

Last edited by Anthony on 17 May 2010, 15:48, edited 1 time in total.

G

Postby G » 17 May 2010, 15:36

lol.... @dog!

Manny

Postby Manny » 17 May 2010, 17:27

Well done fellas on the 1,2. due to other committments I wasn't able to make it on Saturday otherwise it could of been a 1-2-3! :wink:

G

Postby G » 17 May 2010, 17:40

When the stupid dog nearly crashed the bunch, some cyclist yelled "keep it tied to the lead"
a couple of kids yelled back "we don't have any!" I just laughed!

Anthony

Postby Anthony » 17 May 2010, 18:59

Don't think i'll be racing heffron for a few weeks. C grade looks likely when my exams are over :)

micklan

Postby micklan » 17 May 2010, 19:07

Top reports :lol:

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 17 May 2010, 19:36

Great going guys

Return to “Road”