Heffron Park 10-7-10

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Julio

Postby Julio » 10 Jul 2010, 18:45

C grade - Participants Hugo V and Julian S.

Weather was low NNE winds and temp at 16 deg making for a perfect day to race. C grade started with around 12 punters putting their hard earned dosh on the table and toeing the line for 14 laps of fun. First 6 laps were uneventful with myself and Hugh staying up near the sharp end of the pack looking not to be caught out of the inevitable breaks in the pack. Around the 8th lap I took a turn at the front for a lap so as not to be labelled a wheel sucker and to keep the pace high. After that I slipped back into my position of 3rd or 4th so that I was again in position for the inevitable breakaway, after the normal thrust and parry of Crit racing the pack broke apart in around the 10th lap which happen when the pack came upon a slow moving B grade and 7 people strove forward in search of the win. The next few laps were fast and furious with the speed up above 40kph to stop anyone trying to breakaway again, by then Hugh had dropped off the pace and hung back at the start line waiting for the sprint. I stayed at the back of the seven letting them do the work and leaving me to think of what I was going to do to win the cold hard cash. Coming into the last corner after the squercle I was in 7th position awaiting the impending sprint and wondering what I should do, I did have ideas of just rolling it home safe with the fact that I had finished with the group but then the group hesitated in the sprint and I took the initiative and found a wheel that was moving faster then the rest. With 200m to go I was in 5th and going faster then with 100m to go I past 2 guys who were racing each other and taking no notice of myself then with 50m to go I had my sights on the second guy whos back tire I had just reached when we went over the line. I finished in 3rd and am super stoked.

timyone

Postby timyone » 10 Jul 2010, 19:28

oh far out i didnt pay attention to the fact that hugo was racing in C grade?! nice!!!

And good to see your track sprinting is paying off :D it sounds like its more your learning who to sit on and all that thats working though! good work!

williamd

Postby williamd » 10 Jul 2010, 19:44

Great report and result Julio and Hugo.

I will have to give D grade a go soon.

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 18 Jul 2010, 07:46

Woop woop woop! Congratulations!

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 18 Jul 2010, 14:26

3rd is C is awesome. I still think I would struggle to finish a lap in E grade. Congratulations Julio - all your sprinting is paying off.

Return to “Road”