Tubulars - which tyres?

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Trouty

Postby Trouty » 18 Nov 2010, 11:06

Given my purchase of Zipps, I thought I'd better order some tyres from Wiggle incase these ones ever get a puncture. Does anyone have any suggestions of what is a good brand to buy? I would probably only use these for Road TT's and the front one for Track TT events.

When I went to pick up the wheels from Joshua, he had a great collection of bikes and bike kit....very jealous!!

NOTE: thanks Tim for the tip about brake pads. If you hadn't told me, I would have just used the normal ones.

othy

Postby othy » 18 Nov 2010, 11:42

I've read that the Zipp rims are designed for a 23mm tyre. You can run narrower but apparently some aero benefits are lost. You'll also need some glue - possibly two tubes for each wheel depending on how much residue is currently on them. That said here are my opinions -

Vittoria Evo Corsa CX. This is what I have glued to wheels, they're pretty nice. Tyre is well recommended by most people. Were easy enough to stretch onto the rim during gluing, after leaving them inflated on it for a few days. I purchased some longer valves made by Vittoria that screw onto their tyres for a neater fit.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/au/vittoria-cor ... ular-tyre/

Zipp Tangente Tubular Tyre. Very expensive with dimples on the tyres! Will match the wheels! How can you resist.
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... IPPTUBA100

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 18 Nov 2010, 12:38

we won't need the glue as we'll pay somebody else to fit them .... might get one of those canisters though that seal the tyre if you're out on the road and need a quick fix to get you home

shrubb face

Postby shrubb face » 18 Nov 2010, 12:56

Really your standard options are the Vittorias evo corsa cx or the Continental competitions. I'm not sure how successful those sealing canisters are, it problably depends a lot on the type of puncture.

As Othy mentioned in the other thread anytime you ride on these wheel you will need the carbon brakes installed. If you do puncture and have to ride with an alloy wheel, you will have to sand the carbon pads a bit before you can use them on your carbon wheels again.

othy

Postby othy » 18 Nov 2010, 13:55

As Othy mentioned in the other thread anytime you ride on these wheel you will need the carbon brakes installed. If you do puncture and have to ride with an alloy wheel, you will have to sand the carbon pads a bit before you can use them on your carbon wheels again.
These are looking pretty tempting at the moment:
http://www.eecycleworks.com/eebrake.html

Tool-less brake pad changes.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 18 Nov 2010, 15:18

we won't need the glue as we'll pay somebody else to fit them .... might get one of those canisters though that seal the tyre if you're out on the road and need a quick fix to get you home
I have one of those canisters, your welcome to have it

weller

Postby weller » 18 Nov 2010, 15:30

Conti Competitions are they way to go. I have been using them for years and they are great. Get some of the self sealing liquid into them and you will wear them down to the canvas!

timyone

Postby timyone » 18 Nov 2010, 22:41

im interested in that stuff that after you get a flat, it moves over the hole and you just pump them up again!

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 18 Nov 2010, 22:51

im interested in that stuff that after you get a flat, it moves over the hole and you just pump them up again!
I've brought a bottle of it, just trying to figure out how to get into tubes where you can't remove the valve, probably have to use some fish tank air tubing

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 19 Nov 2010, 08:44

Really your standard options are the Vittorias evo corsa cx or the Continental competitions. I'm not sure how successful those sealing canisters are, it problably depends a lot on the type of puncture.

Who would have thought those break pads would be so expensive? Then again cycling is all about parting with your hard earned cash.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 19 Nov 2010, 10:12

Who would have thought those break pads would be so expensive? Then again cycling is all about parting with your hard earned cash.
2 sets of pads and practice changing pads with each wheel change.

HurtsLikeJens

Postby HurtsLikeJens » 21 Nov 2010, 00:41

In my experience Vittoria's pop as soon as you look at the funny. Conti's are the way to roll.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 21 Nov 2010, 09:52

I'd better not catch anyone looking at my Vittorias funny!! :x

timyone

Postby timyone » 23 Nov 2010, 22:14

In my experience Vittoria's pop as soon as you look at the funny. Conti's are the way to roll.
have you raced on them?

Return to “Road”