Sunday morning racing at loftus!

Road cycling & upcoming rides
timyone

Postby timyone » 13 Feb 2011, 11:55

Hey today i ended up racing at southern cross's sunday morning racing, and it was heaps good! Its on the waterfall route, so we just pulled out of the DHBC bunch, then went for a race, then jumped on our bikes and headed back for coffee :D

The racing would be suitable for pretty much any one in our club that races, and is really amazingly relaxed! i recomend that all our juniors consider it, as its a pretty flat course (at the moment, they have a choice of courses) and the riders were all really nice! This week the fast lads including Tirian McManus, Josh cornish, Jarrod Triggs etc werent there so A grade was more up in the air for a winner which probably isnt normally the case, but yeah besides that id say every one else should check it out! great getting into racing spot!

The grades are probably equivillant to lower grades else where, Normally c would be B or A, and normally B or above would definately be A grade. Paul Meehan was in A grade, and putting in regular attacks.

Club Racing
The Southern Cross Cycle Club races almost every Sunday morning of the year at Waratah Park, Rawson Avenue, Sutherland.

We race on a road racing circuit closed to traffic, that provides a safe racing environment for riders and spectators.

The Club’s focus is on promoting junior racing, but we welcome members of all ages.

The Club places a strong emphasis on junior development and provides opportunities for all junior members to develop their cycling skills.

The majority of junior racing is graded by ability, giving newcomers the opportunity to race at their development and skill level.

The racing is well organised and non-agressive. The distances are set to suit age and skill and are not difficult. Everyone is encouraged to finish.

Cycling is a nondiscriminatory sport with boys, girls, men and women able to compete on the same day at the same venue.

Racing times

Racing Time
Registration from 7.30am

Adult/masters racing
8am
Junior racing 9am (Divison 4/novice)

During the summer (track) season we occassionally ride at the Canterbury Velodrome, Tempe and the Dunc Gray Criterium circuit, Bass Hill.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 13 Feb 2011, 16:28

Tim, I had looked at this before, but Adult racing was at 10am. Now I see its moved to 8am so I'm seriously interested in doing it.

How did you go?

chuckdbacon

Postby chuckdbacon » 13 Feb 2011, 17:51

He won with ease and style. I sat on the front of the bunch and soft-pedalled while he took off, don't think he needed it though :)

I signed on to B grade but switched to A just before the start, wanted to wear myself out...

I can also recommend this crit for people looking to have a go and learn: course is safe (new tar care of Sutherland Council) but not boring. We raced track 2 - there's a shorter track 1 and the longer and climbier track 3. They introduce racing on track 3 through the year, sounds confusing but would keep it interesting.

Charlie

P.S. Thanks and apologies to the middies+fasties bunch who waited for me when I punctured just before Sutherland, when I then bailed for the crit not far up the road...

timyone

Postby timyone » 13 Feb 2011, 21:48

im pretty fit at the moment, so was in a few break aways (every thing that went) then the last one worked, and i beat the lad in the sprint, he was pretty strong, so i might have been lucky to have him for the break, then lucky to beat him.

timyone

Postby timyone » 13 Feb 2011, 21:52

the team work was heaps good :D totally wouldnt have known you hardly have any race experience!

MarkL

Postby MarkL » 13 Feb 2011, 22:11

Well done Tim. Sounds like you fought hard and you conquered :P

shrubb face

Postby shrubb face » 14 Feb 2011, 05:57

I might have to come give this a go sometime.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 20 Feb 2011, 16:35

8.15am Sunday 20th Feb 2011 - Southern Cross Crit, at Sutherland, track 2

A grade 30 minutes + 2 laps
- Mark L
- Mike C

Mark did a lap on the front straight up, then merged into the pack and at about 10 or so minutes in a guy from NSCC went off the front, Mark chased and got his wheel, I was on the front and eased it up a little, I had no intention of chasing Mark down. Eventually some riders went past me and I sat in, but by now Mark and NSCC guy had a decent lead and stretched it out to the entire front straight, I honestly thought that Mark and NSCC guy had it. At about 17 minutes I could see that the pack was eventually haul him in. Eventually they were consumed by the pack.

The next lap there was a half baked attack, the same NSCC guy, myself and one other. The other 2 stopped but I kept going, crossing the line with 7 1/2 minutes on the clock. Over the next few laps I built up a bigger and bigger lead, probably about the entire straight at its max and then they started reeling me in, a bit at a time. By the time the 2 lap board went out, the clock said 30 seconds and I found out later that the pack went over at 11 seconds, so I still had 19 seconds left. Bell lap and I still had 30 metres, not a lot but worth a crack so I went for it. A minor pedal touchdown didn't distract me and I put whatever I had left into it, only to get swamped with about 150mtrs to go.

Return to “Road”