Tech help Please. Cranks and chain

Road cycling & upcoming rides
geoff m

Postby geoff m » 26 Mar 2011, 16:20

Hi all,

What do you think of this.

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=D1050

I have mainly Ultegra chains rings, and cassette. Some other crank brand. Ultegra 10 speed.

As you know when riding with me recently, my crank creaks and the guy in the shop who serviced it, could not find any cause.

I need to buy chain rings in advance from time to time, and maybe I need a new crankset as well.

It says 170mm. My current one measures 170mm from the middle of the hole from the bottom bracket, to the middle of the whole where the pedal attaches. Is that what this measurement is made too?

Do you think this is good value? And should I have one spare (and potentially replace current 'squeaky' one).

Does this include new bottom bracket as well.

From yours truly, Mr Un-Technical

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 26 Mar 2011, 17:45

That one doesn't include a bottom bracket (most won't). 170mm is crank length, measured as you've described.

For the creaky cranks, what you need to do is remove the cranks and bottom bracket, clean and lightly grease all the threads, and reassemble (probably pedals too). I'm not sure if a bike shop would do this in the servicing. Hopefully this will remove the noise, but you may need a new bottom bracket, or it could be something else on the bike with the noise tricking you.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 26 Mar 2011, 19:08

Geoff, a couple of years ago everyone said that the bottom bracket on my OCR needed changing and I thought so too, so I changed it and the squeak was still there, after 3 hours of interchanging parts, I discovered it was the bearing in the rear wheel. The location of squeak can be deceptive.

BTW why do you want to change your cranks, wouldn't changing the BB (assuming to be the issue) be sufficient.

williamd

Postby williamd » 27 Mar 2011, 19:13

Geoff
I had a creek in my cranks
The first thing to check is your crank bolts
Tighten them.
I remember some one riding to waterfall on a Sunday and his cranks fell off.

Return to “Road”