CANCELLED - Criterium Monday 13th June Queen's b'day

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 03 Jun 2011, 17:39

Hello all DHBC's as a trial I have decided to hold part 4 of the DHBC criterium championships on a public holiday, Monday the 13th of June. Racing will commence at the same time as usual but on a different day. The raing style is as follows;

Points race. Races will be over a certain time ie 40mins with an allocated number of sprints, for example commisaires will attempt to to break up the sprints fairly like at 10 minute intervals but will be based on safety and position of the bunches. Bunches will receive the bell on a sprint lap. Riders must remember their own number of points and claim their place at the finish. points per sprint will be will based on rider numbers and announced on the day.

Criterium: Monday 13/05/2010
Start time: 7:30am- 8am
Expected finish time: 8:30am-9:30am
Cost: $5 for racing
Prize money: nil.
Who can race: anyone with a racing licence

The plan is that everybody meet at Mick Mazza's at 6:30am as usual & ride out together race & ride back as like last month. The route has been found to be suprisingly safer & quieter than expected.

Riders will need to enter through the pedestrian gates as the main gates will be locked. For driving you will need to park on the street

If anybody chooses to drive out or is coming from another direction & doesn't know where dunc Gray is; here's the map:
http://www.nsw.cycling.org.au/default.asp?id=29416
Last edited by Simon Llewellyn on 13 Jun 2011, 04:30, edited 1 time in total.

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 06 Jun 2011, 08:44

... i think i'm in!

orphic

Postby orphic » 06 Jun 2011, 09:34

I'm in Canberra :( Keep on missing... everything!

simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 07 Jun 2011, 09:02

F-Grade here I come!

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 07 Jun 2011, 09:43

I'm in for this - can we have two bunches to ride to the track? I'll meet the main bunch at corner Milton St & Georges River Road.

simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 07 Jun 2011, 09:52

Curse you Hickson! I haven't done enough work on my cornering lately. Or have I ... ?

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 07 Jun 2011, 09:57

i'm aiming to be there (barring sickness). Can't wait!

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 07 Jun 2011, 10:30

Out,... daddy duties on Monday.

AlexD

Postby AlexD » 07 Jun 2011, 14:04

I might be in for this.
Would it be OK to compete on a singlespeed road bike? I don't have a "proper" roadie.

Also, I've never raced in a crit, actually never raced on the road at all, so is this the time/place to have a go? The course isn't insanely dangerous is it?

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 07 Jun 2011, 15:59

lol
welcome to the club Alex, except i just built up my first road bike... with gears and everything. i've never raced a crit and i'm going to turn up monday for my first crack at it. single speed is allowed and i've heard it's faster depending on your riding style. most ppl only use 1 or 2 gears in a crit.
see you there!

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 07 Jun 2011, 17:33

Would it be OK to compete on a singlespeed road bike?

I guess so, better to ask the commissaires
Also, I've never raced in a crit, actually never raced on the road at all, so is this the time/place to have a go? The course isn't insanely dangerous is it?
The track is fairly wide and well surfaced - about 800m per lap. There are two very tight left handers best taken as one double apex left. Its only dangerous if you've got your left pedal down, somebody gets all Casey Stoner on ya and tries to make a move under brakes up the inside or some idiot E grader moves right instead of left when A/B grade steams into the corner just behind screaming RIDERS :shock:

here's a link showing the track - the corners in question are at the top.

Come on along - its a fun morning out (except for the middies pace ride there!)

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 07 Jun 2011, 23:18

I'm in, my Monday morning RPM (spin) class has been canceled. Just need to decide whether to put the 130mm stem back on, or leave the 80mm on it, which I am using the following Sunday in the TTT

andrewb

Postby andrewb » 07 Jun 2011, 23:54

Curse you Hickson! I haven't done enough work on my cornering lately. Or have I ... ?
I suspect you haven't SImon ...

I'm in - Team Shimano Sora F-grade is back in town! But I'm a bit concerned about reports that you've been blinging up your bike with some of that flash Tiagra gear - say it ain't so Simon.

I'm in for this - can we have two bunches to ride to the track? I'll meet the main bunch at corner Milton St & Georges River Road.
Last time I rode out by myself at a relaxed C25- pace. It took just under 30minutes from Georges River Rd just past Burwood Road at Croydon Park. I'll probably do the same again, leaving there about 0655. If anyone wants some of that action, you'd probably want to depart Milton St/GR Rd at about 0650, and catch up with me on GR Rd 5 or so minutes later. Not sure about the timing from Marrickville, but (for information only) it takes me about 15 minutes to get from Milton St to Marrickville at that time of day. YMMV

Andrew

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 08 Jun 2011, 12:09

Last time I rode out by myself at a relaxed C25- pace. It took just under 30minutes from Georges River Rd just past Burwood Road at Croydon Park. I'll probably do the same again, leaving there about 0655. If anyone wants some of that action, you'd probably want to depart Milton St/GR Rd at about 0650, and catch up with me on GR Rd 5 or so minutes later.
I see you there then at 06:55 as I can't take the pace of the main bunch.

andrewb

Postby andrewb » 11 Jun 2011, 12:55

I see you there then at 06:55 as I can't take the pace of the main bunch.
Sounds like a plan - have sent pm with my ph number in case of snafu.

Any other takers for the DHBC bike bus?

Andrew

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 12 Jun 2011, 10:26

@Simon L - I'm assuming it's cancelled if it's raining? I won't be there if it's raining but want to officially 'tweet' the cancellation if it's off. Assume there will be a post here?

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 12 Jun 2011, 11:17

@Simon L - I'm assuming it's cancelled if it's raining? I won't be there if it's raining but want to officially 'tweet' the cancellation if it's off. Assume there will be a post here?
I will post it at about 5:50am if it is cancelled, if not call it tonight.

Johnj

Postby Johnj » 12 Jun 2011, 12:02

Sounds like a plan - have sent pm with my ph number in case of snafu.

Any other takers for the DHBC bike bus?

Andrew
I'd like to tag along. I'll wait at the servo on the corner of GR River Rd and Burwood Rd at 6.50 if that suits?

andrewb

Postby andrewb » 12 Jun 2011, 14:14

I'd like to tag along. I'll wait at the servo on the corner of GR River Rd and Burwood Rd at 6.50 if that suits?
make it another 100m west, at the corner of McCall Ave & Georges River Rd & I'll see you there (If it isn't raining.)

Andrew

Johnj

Postby Johnj » 12 Jun 2011, 15:21

Cheers, see you there, weather permitting. I'll check this thread before leaving tomorrow.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 13 Jun 2011, 04:36

Though i never like cancelling and it will probably not be raining in 2 hours time, due to the amount of rain we have had and the potential condition of the track out at Dunc Gray, for safety reasons I'm going to cancel this event. I hate to think what that bit of dirt leading into the front straight will be like as mud.

The next criterium will be next month.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 13 Jun 2011, 06:00

should of read the heading before, not just kept refreshing the page - cancelled !

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 13 Jun 2011, 06:14

Thanks Simon. You made the right call I think. Oh well ...

Johnj

Postby Johnj » 13 Jun 2011, 06:24

Oh well, back to bed.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 13 Jun 2011, 09:48

Thanks Simon. You made the right call I think. Oh well ...
It's a tough call to make. If the track was a bit closer, we could just go & inspect it and then cancel but since we have to drive all the ay to Bass Hill, it's just abit too far. My other concern is that most people make their own minds up the nigt before, so they decide to stay out late and then there's a risk that it runs but with very few riders...

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 13 Jun 2011, 12:28

So there I was, at the track, the open track, the relatively dry track......alone.

Having failed to check the forum after i checked the weather (looked outside). I departed a little late hoping to catch the slower riders on GRR knowing full well that i wouldn't see the bunch on the way out moving at middies pace. I wasnt perturbed when i failed to see anyone on the road. It was just the way it was i figured. I rolled into Dunc Grey and i couldnt help but notice although the gate was open and the track had a large sign on it saying "OPEN" i was alone.

It was a twilight zone moment. Many things rolled through my head at the time not least of which was the logical conclusion that, I may well have been the only person remaining on the planet at the time. I thanked my lucky stars that I was late, for if I was on time, I too would have been abducted by the aliens that had already snatched the entire peloton without trace from this very place. I spent a moment looking for crop circles and telltale burn marks on the grass...... not a trace I tell you!

Knowing that every silver cloud has a dark lining, i decided that i could win the Crit, claim first, claim most agressive and ride in A Grade in one fell swoop (not too bad for an E/F grader). So I did two laps at race pace. I unleashed the furry and danced on the pedals. I buried myself for 1,000 metres and claimed victory.

The rain started and I cycled off home via Rookwood and Strathfield, 40K all up.

Please update the scores to reflect my magnificent performance...........is there anyone out there?

cheers

Dougie

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 13 Jun 2011, 12:37

So there I was, at the track, the open track, the relatively dry track......alone.

Having failed to check the forum after i checked the weather (looked outside). I departed a little late hoping to catch the slower riders on GRR knowing full well that i wouldn't see the bunch on the way out moving at middies pace. I wasnt perturbed when i failed to see anyone on the road. It was just the way it was i figured. I rolled into Dunc Grey and i couldnt help but notice although the gate was open and the track had a large sign on it saying "OPEN" i was alone.

It was a twilight zone moment. Many things rolled through my head at the time not least of which was the logical conclusion that, I may well have been the only person remaining on the planet at the time. I thanked my lucky stars that I was late, for if I was on time, I too would have been abducted by the aliens that had already snatched the entire peloton without trace from this very place. I spent a moment looking for crop circles and telltale burn marks on the grass...... not a trace I tell you!

Knowing that every silver cloud has a dark lining, i decided that i could win the Crit, claim first, claim most agressive and ride in A Grade in one fell swoop (not too bad for an E/F grader). So I did two laps at race pace. I unleashed the furry and danced on the pedals. I buried myself for 1,000 metres and claimed victory.

The rain started and I cycled off home via Rookwood and Strathfield, 40K all up.

Please update the scores to reflect my magnificent performance...........is there anyone out there?

cheers

Dougie
That's a solid effort getting out there. I would give you the points but it was a points race and you needed at least one sprint in order to obtain the points to win! :) It's good to know that it rained though because it really was a 50/50 call & I hate cancelling.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 13 Jun 2011, 14:00

I unleashed the furry and danced on the pedals. I buried myself for 1,000 metres and claimed victory.
Go you tiger!

Toff

Postby Toff » 13 Jun 2011, 18:03

Correct use of the term.

"Furry" is the club mascot. He's the Tempe elephant.

He's unleashed on special occasions.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 13 Jun 2011, 19:03

well written Dougie, very entertaining.

Return to “Road”