Le Tour de Dullich, is coming in July 2011!!

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 13 Jun 2011, 13:29

Hello all DHBCer’s,

This year to celebrate the month of July, the most exciting month of cycling in the year DHBC will be holding its second Km’s grand tour challenge. With a whole new set of rules, six categories, the addition of a teams category, alterations to the white jersey category, doubling of the size of the points categories, the separation of the kms count to the General classification and one overall winner!!! This will be a competition to remember!!!

As everybody focused on the accomplishments of one man in the Giro D’maggio

Riders will be looking for new innovations to score more points

Club spirit will be celebrated

Riders will reach new realms of enjoyment

Mythical achievements will be undertaken

& many great sights will be seen

Whilst some people's sights will be set on reaching the podium!

As the world prepares for the Tour de France, DHBC will be focused on one even in 2011; Le Tour de Dullich!!!

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 13 Jun 2011, 14:12

Is this meant to have two L's in the word 'Dulwich"?

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 13 Jun 2011, 14:28

With all the photos of us girls you had to pick the ugliest one of all time with Camilla and I seemingly not wanting to be photographed. The faces say it all.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 13 Jun 2011, 15:11

With all the photos of us girls you had to pick the ugliest one of all time with Camilla and I seemingly not wanting to be photographed. The faces say it all.
Clearly you are looking at 3rd place on the podium, not happy; Camilla is looking quizzically at 2nd, not really impressed but happier than you; but Amy has her sights set on 1st!

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 13 Jun 2011, 15:29

Is this meant to have two L's in the word 'Dulwich"?
Well I wondered that myself but decided two L's looked better.
It was the most entertaining podium photo I had at hand quickly and it's a DHBC podium shot, so if want to win you just have to be open to the fact that the club will want to document your acheivements with a photo. But didn't Julia Robert's once say that you should always smile whenever a camera is pointed at you because you just never know when the image will reappear??

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 13 Jun 2011, 15:55

Hey Jo and I have matching helmets, that means we can combine our K's

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 13 Jun 2011, 16:10

It was the most entertaining podium photo I had at hand quickly and it's a DHBC podium shot, so if want to win you just have to be open to the fact that the club will want to document your achievements with a photo. But didn't Julia Robert's once say that you should always smile whenever a camera is pointed at you because you just never know when the image will reappear??
I do smile Simon, but for some reason my smile doesn't look any thing like Julia Roberts? It must be the photographer's fault.

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 14 Jun 2011, 09:23

Simon,

Any chance that we Domestiques can get a look in? Perhaps a team classification? A stage win? A Glorious if not ill fated breakaway lasting 183K, only to be caught 50 metres from the finish line? A time bonus for riding the trainer at 2am during live televised stages? Unleashing the Furry at the most inappropriate times?

Cheers

Dougie the Domestique

Richard

Postby Richard » 14 Jun 2011, 14:59

Simon Llewellyn wrote:
It was the most entertaining podium photo I had at hand quickly and it's a DHBC podium shot, so if want to win you just have to be open to the fact that the club will want to document your achievements with a photo. But didn't Julia Robert's once say that you should always smile whenever a camera is pointed at you because you just never know when the image will reappear??

Trouty wrote:
I do smile Simon, but for some reason my smile doesn't look any thing like Julia Roberts? It must be the photographer's fault.

I thought the photo looked like someone (photographer?) had simply farted. Camilla was looking perturbed, Jo was in pain and Amy was trying not to burst out laughing.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 14 Jun 2011, 16:43

Simon, Any chance that we Domestiques can get a look in? ~snip~ Unleashing the Furry at the most inappropriate times?
Cheers
Dougie the Domestique
Dougie, maybe you'd get something for unleashing the Fury, but not the Furry at the most inappropriate times :shock:

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 14 Jun 2011, 18:00

Dougie, maybe you'd get something for unleashing the Fury, but not the Furry at the most inappropriate times :shock:

Dougie and I watched the same vid - you and Toff didn't. Obviously.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 14 Jun 2011, 18:06

Dougie and I watched the same vid - you and Toff didn't. Obviously.
Look, I failed to spell one word correctly and we were all off whaling - clearly the spelling police don't care about fury v furry. And yes, I've seen the video's about 'unleashing the FURY' ....

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 14 Jun 2011, 19:21

After three hours wearing a pair of bib knicks in the rain, that are one size too small. I unleashed the FURRY OK! As to the video, when i describe to my wife that I am a hard man and I drink a Long Black and I unleash the FURY. She just laughs and reminds me not to burn either my FURRY or my FURY....

See you on the road. I will be the furry one, dancing on the pedals.

Dougie

andrewb

Postby andrewb » 14 Jun 2011, 19:36

As a relative newcomer to the Club, I'm a bit confused about all this Fury/Furry business.

my understanding is (and can those older &/or wiser please correct me if where I've got this wrong):

In general, any rider from another club might unleash the "fury", to drop a pack or get to the cafe first or whatever, but a DHBC rider has something extra to call upon - "The Furry", which not only has an extra R in it (bit like having an amplifier which goes up to 11), but also invokes the spirit of our dead elephant mascot (refer Toff's post). Under these circumstances, if the rider is worthy, the elephant's spirit will unleash its vengeance, resulting in increased power & endurance to propel the DHBCer towards the finish or away from perils like a chasing bunch or peloton-abducting aliens etc.

Something like that?

Andrew

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 14 Jun 2011, 20:27

Look, I failed to spell one word correctly and we were all off whaling - clearly the spelling police don't care about fury v furry. And yes, I've seen the video's about 'unleashing the FURY' ....
Bunch of spelling nazi's ain't they

andrewb

Postby andrewb » 14 Jun 2011, 20:32

Bunch of spelling nazi's ain't they
'postrophe nazis too, Mike.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 15 Jun 2011, 07:19

Simon,

Any chance that we Domestiques can get a look in? Perhaps a team classification? A stage win? A Glorious if not ill fated breakaway lasting 183K, only to be caught 50 metres from the finish line? A time bonus for riding the trainer at 2am during live televised stages? Unleashing the Furry at the most inappropriate times?

Cheers

Dougie the Domestique
Regardless of if you unleash the furry or fury, I think that the alterations to the new rules will be confusing at first but much more user friendly for newer riders and the 'domestiques' of the club as if they compete properly will be right at the front of the competition with the changes to the white jersey and addition of the teams classsification which both account to the overal. The aggressive rider category will change to so that a club mate can nominate your acheivements rather than yourself and instant points given rather than waiting for me to agree like last time.

Toff

Postby Toff » 15 Jun 2011, 10:33

For the record, I have also seen all of the videos. It was that particular video which sparked the creation of the club mascot. Some people will be aware that Tempe velodrome was once a tip site, before the land was reclaimed and turned into the velodrome. There is a rumour that a local circus elephant died and was buried (dumped) at the tip. That means that in the middle of Tempe velodrome is the spirit of a dead elephant. I like to think of that as Dulwich Hill spirit!

Anyway, post ride at the cofee shop, Karzie and I created the club mascot: an Elephant, naturally. He is depicted on his head, since he's not a typical mascot. He is technically dead, after all... I like the idea of having a mascot which is both big and slow, as an ironic representation of DHBC, especially since cylists as individuals do not command much road space. But as a group, we are a collective "elephant" in the room. (on the road).

Anyway, elephant needed a name, and since I liked the idea of unleashing "Furry" the elephant, mascot's name was decided at the cafe AFTER watching said video.

That should clear things up. Stay tuned for mascot artwork from Karzie...

Return to “Road”