Tour of Bright 2007 - RACE REPORT ADDED pg2

Road cycling & upcoming rides
T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 01 Nov 2007, 23:01

Time to start deciding if you're willing to take on the challenge of the Tour of Bright. It's a tough but very enjoyable race, with plenty of beautiful scenery.

The race for 2007 consists of 3 stages. Stage one is a tough 105km road stage with a nice 7.5km 6.6% climb up Tawonga Gap starting at 22km to go. Stage Two is a nice 15.7km time trial, where you hope to have had long enough to recovery from the mornings effort. Stage Three on the next day has been changed from last year to be a 55km road stage with 30km or so of climbing finishing at the top Mt Hotham. No Mt Buffalo ascent, and no extremely fast Criterium like last year.

The race takes place December 1st and 2nd, with entries closing on the 19th of November.

So far it looks like Me, Eugen, Kieran, and Phil (from NS) will be heading down (provided i have legs), and anyone else interested is more than welcome.

More info can be found here http://www.tourofbright.com.au/.
Last edited by T-Bone on 03 Dec 2007, 22:27, edited 1 time in total.

FAswad

Postby FAswad » 02 Nov 2007, 11:33

Where is Bright?
Time to start deciding if you're willing to take on the challenge of the Tour of Bright. It's a tough but very enjoyable race, with plenty of beautiful scenery.

The race for 2007 consists of 3 stages. Stage one is a tough 105km road stage with a nice 7.5km 6.6% climb up Tawonga Gap starting at 22km to go. Stage Two is a nice 15.7km time trial, where you hope to have had long enough to recovery from the mornings effort. Stage Three on the next day has been changed from last year to be a 55km road stage with 30km or so of climbing finishing at the top Mt Hotham. No Mt Buffalo ascent, and no extremely fast Criterium like last year.

The race takes place December 1st and 2nd, with entries closing on the 19th of November.

So far it looks like Me, Eugen, Kieran, and Phil (from NS) will be heading down (provided i have legs), and anyone else interested is more than welcome.

More info can be found here http://www.tourofbright.com.au/.

Eugen Schilter

Postby Eugen Schilter » 02 Nov 2007, 12:54

ItsAlbury/Wodonga and then left ~70km into the hills. One has to go there on Friday. Return can be very late on Sunday for afit driver; else on Monday. Look it up on Google Map, then on Google Earth (if you have) you can tilt the scenery to see the climbs... and there is lots of it. Not that I want to discourage, on the contrary, but do not be disappointed if you get dropped on the hill. I was dropped last year and this year I plan to avenge and if I'm not +- first up there someone can have my bicycle for very cheap.

PS Howz the legs? I was tired too up until Wed morning. I very much liked your report; didn't realise it was so bad for you and I hope I am not on a your bad list for what I did. I should have given my water away earlier , but old 'me first' habits die hard; also some riders actually do not like to douse (once a vet on eastern Creek abused me because a drop of my water landed unintentionally on his scalp). I love dousing. For very hot stages I douse head to toe before the start. Love 'drying on the run'; feels like being in a fridge when its stinking hot. :P

FAswad

Postby FAswad » 02 Nov 2007, 16:30

I very much would love to go really. But, with a 4 month old at home, logistics are proving very hard for me for such races so far away. Hopefully next year I will be able to make it to more of them.

No you're not on my bad list. You're high up there on my "good" list. "Me first" habbits are key to the survival of any group. First you look after yourself, then you help your buddies. You won't be helping anybody when you're dead thats for sure. I actually do douse myself on long hot rides. But as I said, it was an error of judgement. I figured 2 hours and a bit is not that long and I would survive. Did not factor in the heat. I know if I had taken adequate precautions to keep myself cool I would not have been in trouble. I have not made any kind of effort in anything over 27degrees for ages. But anyways. What's done is done. Best of luck at Bright. Hope to join you all there next time round.
ItsAlbury/Wodonga and then left ~70km into the hills. One has to go there on Friday. Return can be very late on Sunday for afit driver; else on Monday. Look it up on Google Map, then on Google Earth (if you have) you can tilt the scenery to see the climbs... and there is lots of it. Not that I want to discourage, on the contrary, but do not be disappointed if you get dropped on the hill. I was dropped last year and this year I plan to avenge and if I'm not +- first up there someone can have my bicycle for very cheap.

PS Howz the legs? I was tired too up until Wed morning. I very much liked your report; didn't realise it was so bad for you and I hope I am not on a your bad list for what I did. I should have given my water away earlier , but old 'me first' habits die hard; also some riders actually do not like to douse (once a vet on eastern Creek abused me because a drop of my water landed unintentionally on his scalp). I love dousing. For very hot stages I douse head to toe before the start. Love 'drying on the run'; feels like being in a fridge when its stinking hot. :P

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 02 Nov 2007, 23:01

There's a gradient profile for stage 1 available with the map on the website, but stage 3 is still on the way. I would map it, but i'm currently limited to dial-up while my connection is upgraded.

My plan is to at least have some legs when i'm down there, i had run out of form last year from racing so much, but theis year i'm hoping to be different. Just need to plan my training.

On the dousing issue, i like dousing, but generally i'm more likely to save my fluids for drinking, but i should probably change my methods a bit. I think it'll come with experience, and i find i'm improving every year, though i need to be more in control of my training, and probably get my body to learn to suffer a bit more, but i think it'll come soon.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 15 Nov 2007, 22:03

Just a reminder, entries close on monday. I'm going even if my legs won't work it seems, but hopefully i'll get them kickstarted.

wallman

Postby wallman » 18 Nov 2007, 12:05

I'm sorely tempted to give this a shot.

I don't have aero bars but I figure for a 14k TT I can muddle through in the drops but my worry is the climbing. What sort of cassette will you guys be using up Mt Hotham? I'm running an 11-23 at the moment which got me through RNP this morning but I think I'll need something with at least a 25 on the end of it for Bright.

Oh, I've just realised this is my first post and noone will know who the hell I am. If you've seen a tall guy in a yellow jersey on a carbon Bianchi on Sundays recently then that's me. I've met James but I think that's it of those who might be heading to Vic.

Cheers,
Matt

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 18 Nov 2007, 22:10

I've only got 11-23 and it should be fine, though it depends on your climbing style. My issue at the moment is trying to find some form, but hopefully my legs will start to come good over the next few days, so they can work well in Bright.

Anyway, the hills are much longer than RNP, and even C-grade is fairly tough. Last year i didn't have any form, but still had a good time, and this year is looking the same, so i'm mainly going down to get out of Sydney for a weekend, though i'll have to make sure i put my entry in tomorrow.

I didn't make it out this morning as i had work christmas drinks to go to.... and i won't be around next weekend as i'll be in Perth.

Kieran

Postby Kieran » 19 Nov 2007, 15:58

Ok, time booked of work and entry in, time to ride some more hills.

Could not find any other DHBC riders on the list yet, last chance today guys!

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 19 Nov 2007, 21:06

I've entered now, had an issue with getting my credit card to work at first, but seems fine now. Looks like it's just You(Kieran), Me, and Eugen. Phil from North Sydney is also going down, and it looks like a lot of his clubmates are too.

I'll have a chat to Eugen again tomorrow, and we can start to organise our accomodation and transport arrangements.

Kieran

Postby Kieran » 19 Nov 2007, 22:54

James- I had the same problem, "credit card error contact your bank".

Should be good fun, you and Eugene will have to give me a briefing on the race and some tactical suggestions, hopefully we will be in the same grade, I put you down as a reference for grading purposes.

wallman

Postby wallman » 20 Nov 2007, 06:41

I've bitten the bullet and entered as well...

Bloody hell!

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 20 Nov 2007, 21:19

PM sent wallman!!!

wallman

Postby wallman » 21 Nov 2007, 15:05

and i've just PM'ed Keiran!

wallman

Postby wallman » 26 Nov 2007, 09:25

Gents, while training on Sat I took a bit of a fall. While I'm in much better shape than my helmet I'm not great - headachey and my depth perception seems to be a bit out. Depending on how I pull up over the next couple of days I may or may not get down to Bright.
m

Huw

Postby Huw » 26 Nov 2007, 13:22

Yikes, that sounds nasty, Matt. Have you had yourself checked out? Best of luck for a speedy recovery!

wallman

Postby wallman » 26 Nov 2007, 14:41

Yeah, spent yesterday at RPA under observation. Got my head scanned and my blood screened. All clear on both fronts! I'm assuming that means they found a brain and nothing else, but you never know given Saturday's stupidity.

Wet roads are slippery!

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 26 Nov 2007, 15:06

Take it easy. God speed in recovery...

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 26 Nov 2007, 20:19

Hope it's not too bad. Just let me know when you decide if you're able to ride or not. I was supposed to be off the bike for 4 weeks after my crash earlier this year, though i think that was due to the concussion involved.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 03 Dec 2007, 22:26

Well, here's the Report.

Stage 1

---For me Stage 1 seemed to be an exact copy of last years performance. Riding in C grade and coming into the race with poor form, i lasted 70km before i decided to save my energy and cruise in to the finish at my own speed, though i still had a hard time struggling over the 8km Tawonga Gap, and what made it worse was the 50 flies buzzing around my face as i couldn't make my legs move me fast enough to be rid of them. I got to the finish eventually.
---Eugen put in a great performance in Masters 4/5 (argued his way out of the shorter distances in Masters 6+) getting into a chase group to try and pull back a break of 2 riders. When he passed me as i was struggling up Tawonga he was in 3rd place and not too far back from the leader. On the finish line he took Third place, though due to mountain and sprint time bonuses he was equal on equal time with 4th place.
---The story/disaster of the weekend goes to Kieran, who rode in C grade with me. When i went out the back of the bunch Kieran was still in there. Though it was to be the descent from Tawonga Gap that would bring him down. Hopefully Kieran can add in more details, and some nice pictures, but he's what i know. Whilst speeding downhill on the windy descent off Tawonga, the previous corners, put Kieran off the optimal line, and onto a little gravel (washed onto the road from recent rain), this caused his tyres to slide, and sent him heading into a ditch alongside the road with no chance of avoiding it. A big rock in the ditch finished the job by smashing his front wheel and snapping his forks, he was then taken to Bright hospital, and diagnosed with a broken collarbone (also had a headache, most likely from dehydration). We met him there after being told the news, and he was transported to Wangaratta hospital for x-rays and further tests, but luckily was released that night, which gave us a 1hr drive each way to pick him up after the time trial. It wasn't the worst crash of the day as that went to a B-grade pile-up, with Kieran mentioning one of the riders having their head stitched back together, when he was at hospital.

Stage 2

---Not much to tell about the Timetrial, as it is just go as hard as you can for the 16km. I had recoverd a little from the first stage, but the heat was still a scortching 30+ degrees from memory. I caught my 30sec man before the halfway mark and was gaining slowly on the others in front. My time was slower than last year, though me and Eugen haven't worked out if it was due a slightly longer distance or the conditions on the day (wind,heat,etc). I still managed to pip Eugens time for another year, though only by 2seconds this time, so i'll have to watch out next year.
---Eugen dropped back slightly in the Time trial to be in 4th place, still going quite well.

Stage 3

---Another day, and a mythical ascent up Mt Hotham to complete. Conditions were great for the ascent with a nice cool 14degrees. I dropped off the back fairly early, along with the majority of the bunch as everyone settled into their own rythym and the leaders rode away. With 30km of climbing you didn't want to use your energy too early, especially with several 11%+ sections coming in the last 10km, though luckily the middle 10km is a relieving false flat. I was quite happy with how i was performing, and maintaining a steady pace. The day was fairly overcast as we ascended, so as we got higher we were riding in the clouds which really gave you a different feeling not being able to see the distance you still have to travel. The steep sections really provided some suffering and i had basically run out of energy for the last struggle uphill 2km from the end, before a nice short high speed downhill into the finish, and amazingly the sun was out at the finish as well (but not anywhere else high in the climb).
---Eugen performed quite well on the climb, though it's probably best he gives his take on it as i've forgotten a lot of the details. Some of the riders in his bunch got away from him early on the climb, but he slowly clawed a couple back as he went up, and rode into a 7th place stage finish.

Overall
--Kieran had his terrible luck, though his spirits seemed fairly good after the pain had gone.
--I slowly improved in each stage, enough to be happy with my performance in stage 3. Though i'll have to find a way to get some form together for next year, and not let it disappear leading up to the race.
--Eugen rode really well, finishing 6th overall in Masters 4/5 though he mentioned his back not being as good as it was at Grafton, so hopefully he will be manage to improve his result next year.

Hopefully we can convince a few more riders to join us there next year, as it would have been good if Matt was able to be there as well. I've also decided that maybe a 25 cog could be useful for the steep pinches on Hotham, especially when your tanks are empty.

There are some results on the race homepage http://www.tourofbright.com.au/results.htm though stage 3 times are incorrect, due to some mixup with start times i'm assuming. Hopefully some photos will be up soon as well as we had zero chance of taking any.

FAswad

Postby FAswad » 04 Dec 2007, 08:15

That was some hard luck, Keiran. God speed recovery, and back on the bike soon.

And to the two of you, good work. Hope to join you down there next year.

Kieran

Postby Kieran » 04 Dec 2007, 15:23

Thanks for starting the report James, ive really been in a bit of a daze, I took a bit of a hit on the head and haven't recovered fully yet. Also spent most of today working out how to get myself back together.

I have some good photo's but don't know how to insert them.

[/img]

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 04 Dec 2007, 15:35

Glad to hear that you are recovering Kieran. Two head injuries in one thread. Take care guys!

Photos need to be hosted externally eg. Photobucket.com.

Kieran

Postby Kieran » 04 Dec 2007, 16:31

Okay see the link to check out the damage:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21490004@N05/2085352865/

or maybey this works

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 04 Dec 2007, 16:41

Ouch Kieran! Guess the CF soaked up some of the crash energy and saved you. Isn't that your new aero wheel? What's the stuff within that CF rim?

BTW, Flickr and Picasa aren't very friendly to external linking of images, you'll have to dig within the page HTML to find the image address. Photobucket is most convenient in this regard.

Kieran

Postby Kieran » 04 Dec 2007, 18:15

Actually it was a real old wheel, the stuff inside is plastic bagging to enable the pressure moulding process. It looks like quite a bit of energy was dissapated by the carbon, a bit like a crumple zone.

To insert the pic do I just put the exact pic url in the brackets???

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 04 Dec 2007, 19:35

To insert a pic you need to put the image's URL address b/n the two control tags, Img in this case. You can just click the button above the text entry box and paste the URL and then click again to close it. In Photobucket you can just click on one of the links under the photo and have the full URL with tags copied to your clipboard. Then you can just paste it in this text entry box.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 06 Dec 2007, 21:37

Kieran, sorry to hear of your accident.

What's the situation with it's repair?

Damian

Postby Damian » 06 Dec 2007, 22:00

BTW, Flickr and Picasa aren't very friendly to external linking of images,
Whatchoo talkin about willis

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 07 Dec 2007, 02:08

Whatchoo talkin about willis
How do you easily extract that image address from Flickr? Last time I looked, one had to dig around within HTML to find it. The URL given by right click for some reason just didn't work. Maybe they've seen the light.

Damian

Postby Damian » 07 Dec 2007, 10:49

How do you easily extract that image address from Flickr? Last time I looked, one had to dig around within HTML to find it. The URL given by right click for some reason just didn't work. Maybe they've seen the light.
Firefox.. Right click - > "Copy image location". They give you the option of protecting the image and making it hard to find, but it's not the default.

Enough geekery, there are broken things to look at :cry:

Kieran

Postby Kieran » 07 Dec 2007, 11:25

Kieran, sorry to hear of your accident.

What's the situation with it's repair?
Regarding the repairs to the rider, I am on the medicsre waiting list to get my collarbone pinned and plated, regarding the forks they will be upgraded to some jetstream forks. I have a new wheel in the process of being build. I am just trying not to get fat and lazy as i can't rreally exercise.

Also, thanks to Eugene and James for taking care of me and picking me up from the hospital after their tough raceing.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 07 Dec 2007, 14:27

Firefox.. Right click - > "Copy image location". They give you the option of protecting the image and making it hard to find, but it's not the default.
Thanks. Will revisit that. Now only if Picasa can work similarly...

Return to “Road”