NEW DHBC POLICY: Cycling licences on training ride mandatory

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 06 Feb 2012, 07:44

Hi all,

In 2012 cycling Australia and DHBC have made the decision that it is time to try and increase the level of safety for all DHBC members on club rides. As you may have noticed when you received your new licence for the year, all licences have two new very distinct features. The first is the level of class on the licence making it very easy for officials to clearly identify what level of riding each member is entitled to based on the colour of strip down the side of the card, whether they are a silver member, a gold member or a platinum member.

The second new feature for 2012 is that all licences have each riders next of kin name and phone number printed on the bottom right hand side of the card. This is the emergency contact which you have nominated when either renewing your licence or first joined up (if you haven't changed it, & if it is not up to date you should update it). This is a safety feature which cycling Australia have included in order to make it easier for other riders to obtain help for you if you have an accident and are unable to contact help yourself. So starting from the 1st of March 2012 DHBC is going to make it mandatory for all club members to carry their licences on all club rides. As a club we endeavor to ensure the safety of all riders as much as possible and this is a good tool which has been created by cycling Australia. We also plan to create an electronic database with this data on it also which can be carried by ride coaches, however since with the rapid growth of the club it is impossible for ride coaches to know all individual riders on a ride carrying your licence on all rides is the best way of knowing your family or next of kin will be contacted in rare events where they need to be and you are not able.

Cheers Simon.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 06 Feb 2012, 12:15

As a coach I've got some questions about this policy. Can a committee member please email me all the details? Most important question - do I need to sight a license before the ride starts? I'm hoping the answer is yes unless it's their first or second ride with DHBC.

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 06 Feb 2012, 13:46

As a coach I've got some questions about this policy. Can a committee member please email me all the details? Most important question - do I need to sight a license before the ride starts? I'm hoping the answer is yes unless it's their first or second ride with DHBC.
What about the people with club jerseys who jump on the back down the road? It can number half a dozen or more on some days.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 06 Feb 2012, 14:13

Q: Will DHBC bunches now reject external riders who hop on along the way?

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 07 Feb 2012, 09:04

What about the people with club jerseys who jump on the back down the road? It can number half a dozen or more on some days.
If you are a good club member who cares about your own safe and that of other club members it won't matter where you tag onto a ride you will be a carrying your licence with you.
Q: Will DHBC bunches now reject external riders who hop on along the way?
This is an issue which pertains to individual safety which the club is recommending that all riders comply with for their own benefit.

Return to “Road”