Mudgee Road Opens - 4-5th August

Road cycling & upcoming rides
T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 17 Jul 2012, 19:12

To put it simply... a handicap race, and a scratch race. Nothing too hilly, and plenty of local wine or beer for recovery.

Entries close this Sunday (22/07/2012)

Always great racing in Mudgee, although it can get a bit cold.

Who's in???

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 17 Jul 2012, 20:14

I'm in. I've booked accom. The wife loves this one for the wine on offer!

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 17 Jul 2012, 21:29

I've booked accommodation for Me, John, Alex, and Glenn.

paul

Postby paul » 18 Jul 2012, 21:10

I'm planning to give this a go.

Paul

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 18 Jul 2012, 21:56

~snip~ always great racing in Mudgee, although it can get a bit cold. who's in???
A BIT COLD ??? Ha ha ha ha ha ha

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 19 Jul 2012, 17:21

I'm working that weekend :-(

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 19 Jul 2012, 21:36

Tempted
Your message contains 7 characters. The minimum number of characters you need to enter is 10.

MarkL

Postby MarkL » 20 Jul 2012, 06:47

I'm thinking about it, I'll decide after the Nowra race.
My Achilles is good but I've misplaced my fitness, haha.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 22 Jul 2012, 19:27

I've entered

MarkL

Postby MarkL » 22 Jul 2012, 20:30

A BIT COLD ??? Ha ha ha ha ha ha
It couldn't be much colder than today in Nowra, surely???

I've entered.

James, is there accommodation available where you're staying or should we book?

Thanks,
Mark

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 22 Jul 2012, 22:04

I booked the accommodation at The Lodge. Didn't want to leave it too late, so best to book your own.

MarkL

Postby MarkL » 23 Jul 2012, 07:18

Thanks James.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 03 Aug 2012, 09:16

Handicaps are up: Mudgee Handicaps

Saturday:

Group 4
37 CHUBB, Alexander ELITEM Dulwich Hill BC 12:29:00 07:00
Group 5
66 NGUYEN, John ELITEM Dulwich Hill BC 12:25:30 10:30
75 WALLMAN, Matthew ELITEM Dulwich Hill BC 12:25:30 10:30
Group 7
108 CLEMENT, Michael MMAS5 Dulwich Hill BC 12:18:30 17:30
110 FOWLER, James ELITEM Dulwich Hill BC 12:18:30 17:30
116 KING, Glenn ELITEM Dulwich Hill BC 12:18:30 17:30
Group 8
148 LACEY, Mark MMAS5 Dulwich Hill BC 12:14:30 21:30
Group 9
167 ARMISHAW, Paul MMAS5 Dulwich Hill BC 12:10:00 26:00
168 BERRY, Simon MMAS2 Dulwich Hill BC 12:10:00 26:00

Sunday:

B grade
37 CHUBB, Alexander ELITEM Dulwich Hill BC
66 NGUYEN, John ELITEM Dulwich Hill BC

C grade
75 WALLMAN, Matthew ELITEM Dulwich Hill BC
108 CLEMENT, Michael MMAS5 Dulwich Hill BC
110 FOWLER, James ELITEM Dulwich Hill BC
116 KING, Glenn ELITEM Dulwich Hill BC

D grade
148 LACEY, Mark MMAS5 Dulwich Hill BC
167 ARMISHAW, Paul MMAS5 Dulwich Hill BC
168 BERRY, Simon MMAS2 Dulwich Hill BC
Last edited by Strawburger on 03 Aug 2012, 10:19, edited 1 time in total.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 03 Aug 2012, 09:22

Ah rats, that means I got to ride 80 on Sunday instead of 40

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 03 Aug 2012, 09:41

Is that still the case? I can't see any distances shown for the sunday scratch races. I'm assuming i'll be doing 40kms.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 04 Aug 2012, 18:52

Has anyone got Paul's mobile number

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 06 Aug 2012, 10:03

Come on guys, some great results on the weekend, where are the reports???

Saturday:

It was a typical handicap race for me. The pre race plan of "do the turns and don't overdo it because you always blow up with a long way to the finish line" lasted 5kms. Loads of wheels suckers snapped off the back and the group was down to 15. Then 10. Then 8. Then 7. Then 6. We kept a solid 40km/hr pace with great fluency. We thought, man we could catch limit here and power home... until we hit the headwinds. Our average dropped to 25km/hr and with so few riders we were swallowed up by the eventual winners at the 60km mark (at about the same time as we swallowed up limit). I hung on for 5 or so kms until a split in the group up a hill saw me snap off the back. I was one of the last to tail off so i assumed my usual ride solo in agonising pain to the finish line. At least I beat my namesake from the scratch group in the sprint finish (it was a sloooooow sprint).

Sunday:

It was a day of firsts. First time I've been able to get on my bike after the tough Saturday race. First time i led out the bunch sprint. First time my sprint didn't exceed 50km/hr. First time in the top 10. The race didn't really get going until the KOM sprint. Once we got over that, the pack was down to 10 riders. We pushed on but not too fast as a bunch formed behind and caught up. We had about 25 riders and with all the surges and attacks it reformed with about 7km to go. I was near the back and thought there was no chance of getting near the front. A gap opened up round an easy left turn so i punched through and found myself near the front. The pack slowed and i was on the front with 5kms to go. I turned to a mudgee rider and said "wanna go?" He wasn't interested so i slowed down and somehow remained at the front. We rolled onto the finishing straight and i was still at the front. With 800m to go the pack was getting itchy. One jumped so i jumped as well. I couldn't blame myself for choosing the wrong wheel because i was the wrong wheel out in front! We were quickly swamped and I dropped to about 14th place. I thought, bugger this, i want a top 10 so i rode through the pain, passed a few riders and lunged myself into 8th spot.

paul

Postby paul » 07 Aug 2012, 22:40

Saturday: I was with Simon's group until it was down to 7 or 8, then blew up after closing a gap. Then 60 km of jumping on, getting dropped, jumping on, getting dropped ...
Sunday: This was the first time I have felt comfortable in a road race. never had much trouble staying near the front and even had a crack at the KOM. I was so surprised to be there at the finish that I just rolled in without going all out in the sprint.

Paul

shrubb face

Postby shrubb face » 11 Aug 2012, 14:39

Quick summary of results.

Me:
Saturday- Won the bunch sprint for the back markers.
Sunday- Second in the sprint for B grade.

Glenn:
Saturday- Tenth overal
Sunday - Won the first KOM then punctured in C grade

Mat:
Saturday - Was sick, dropped off early
Sun - Sixth in c grade

John:
Saturday - Second in his handicap bunch
Sun - In the front bunch for B grade, almost involved in a crash whilst trying to lead me out.

NOOG

Postby NOOG » 11 Aug 2012, 20:21

Bernard Riders Race Report:

6:31 am. Glenn, as per usual, was late.
6:40am and my neighbours were rudely awoken by the Venga Boys party anthem, Venga Bus, pumping from the Bernard Riders van. I stumbled out the door and was greeted by ‘The King’ grinning at me obnoxiously from the driver’s seat, his attempts to headbang along to the driving beat, thwarted by the lack of hair on his head.
6:45am we were loaded up and on our way to Mudgee.
This race is one of the highlights of the road calendar. An 88km handicap race on Saturday and an 80km graded scratch race on Sunday, take the riders through the rolling hills of the famous wine region. As the race is sponsored by the Peter Van Gent Winery and Vineyard, on offer, as well as the usual cash prizes, are bottles of wine for the sprints, KOMs, and place getters.
Bernard riders would be represented by Glenn ‘The King’ King, Alex Chubb, Matthew Wallman, and Me (John Nguyen). Glenn was handicapped a few groups ahead of Matt and my group, with Alex following one group behind. As this was only Glenn’s second ever road race, the handicappers had given him a generous handicap and he was well placed for a good result, being one of the strongest riders in his group. As with any handicap, how well an individual can do is dependent on how well the group works together. Due to the relatively small size of the race, there was a large range of abilities within each group. From the gun, my bunch was pushing hard, dropping weaker riders off the back. Unfortunately Matt, overcoming illness, was one of the early casualties of the hard pace. By the halfway point we had caught two bunches and I was pleased to see that there was no sign of Glenn, meaning he was still at the front of the race.
Around 20km to go, there is a long steady 6km climb, where, historically, the pressure is always put on to split the groups as, from there, it is downhill to the finish. Going over the top, I was feeling strong and was confident of a good finish. The finishing straight at Mudgee is a 2km straight, flat drag to the finish, making it a finish for the sprinters. Coming off some good track form, I hid myself in the bunch and waited for the last 300m. Alex and I had reconnoitred
the finish during our warm-up before the race and determined the 300m point as the best place to start a sprint, making it approximately the same distance as a 1 lap screamer of our home velodrome in Tempe.
As I passed the 300m marker, I was boxed in and was, therefore, not able to start my sprint proper until the 150m mark. As I hit the air on the front, there was one rider ahead. I chased on and got his wheel just as we crossed the line netting me 2nd place in my bunch and 22nd overall. As I rolled through after the finish, I was once again greeted by Glenn’s ever-obnoxious grin. His group had been at the front of the race, and with 4km to go he had broken off the front with another strong rider. Unfortunately, the traffic warden at the last corner had failed to signal the turn onto the finishing straight, dooming his breakaway to failure as he and his companion rode straight past the turn. He was unable to chase back on to his bunch after turning around and negotiating the corner, but still finished in a commendable 10th place. The King was in the money again, winning $100 and a bottle of wine. The jury is still out on whether he would have won the race, but he assures us that he had it in the bag. Alex Chubb, showed his strength by winning his bunch sprint, overcoming many a more fancied rider, as his group had been caught by chopping block (second fastest group in the race). The King was very generous with his winnings that night as the Bernard Riders enjoyed a celebratory beverage over dinner.
The next morning, Alex and I were in the B grade scratch race, while the King and Matt would be rolling out in C grade. Alex’s strong sprint finish on Saturday, clearly demonstrated that he had good legs and I was once again designated to be his domestique and lead out man. This would consist of me yelling at him to get off the front, closing down any breaks, and getting him to the front of the bunch for the last 300m.
Many a tired leg from the day before meant that the group rolled out quite sedately and two riders easily rode off the front with no one willing to chase. At 20km in there is a climb with KOM prizes awarded on every lap. $80 and a bottle of wine for the first rider over the top. As I set the pace for Alex going up the hill, I was surprised to see him launch off my wheel and sprint towards the crest. As the bunch caught him on the descent on the other side of the hill, the disappointment on his face as I told him there were still two riders off the front of the race who would have claimed the KOM, resembled that of a child who had dropped his ice-cream. At the end of the first lap, we had the breakaway in our sights and caught them soon after.
Coming into the final 10km, a small breakaway group established themselves off the front of the bunch. Unfortunately, neither Alex nor I were in it. The bunch was unwilling to work with the sprint finish so near and I was left with little choice but to try to pull the peloton, and Alex, back to the front of the race. We caught the breakaway just as we rounded the now infamous left hand turn onto the finishing straight. With Alex safely ensconced on my wheel, I set about pulling him to the front down the right hand side of the road. With 600m to go, we were about five riders from the front and sitting pretty. Out of nowhere a rider on my left decided to start his sprint, pulling to the right as he got out of the saddle. He swerved directly into my front wheel and, in an effort to stay on my bike, my back wheel hopped out as I swerved to correct and regain my balance. Alex, who was sitting behind me, was forced to slam on his brakes and take evasive action. I was able to keep my place in the bunch, but Alex had dropped back. Without a lead-out man, his only option was to start his sprint early and find a way through the bunch by himself. He swung to the left hand side of the road and started his sprint with 500m to go. Once again showing his form, and leg speed from the track, he flew around the bunch and crossed the finish line in second place.
As we rolled past the finish, we were both surprised to see Glenn, grinning at us from the side of the road. He had punctured after claiming the first KOM, his tubular tyres unable to withstand the immense torque produced by the ‘The King’ in full flight. C grade, sans Glenn, rolled in about 10 minutes behind us, Matt Wallman, coming good from a disappointing Saturday for a commendable 6th place finish, just outside of the money.
Overall, a very successful weekend for the Bernard Riders Road/Track squad with around $400 in cash and wine in the kitty. Our next hit out will be at Cootamundra in three weeks time.

MarkL

Postby MarkL » 12 Aug 2012, 14:52

Lost!!!!!! one pair of old racing legs.

Sat. Lone DH rider in bunch 8.
2k in and l could sense trouble as my HR was 17? and l was feeling uncomfortable. 2k later l was dropped on the flat before the first hill. I caught and passed a few riders on the hill and managed to grab a wheel at the top. A bunch went past and there was no chance of jumping on.
Then Mike encouraged us to jump on his small dropped bunch. It was ok till we turned into the wind at Ulan and after a short turn l was off the back.
Some quicker bunches passed me by and then 2 riders caught me and we worked together. Then 2 stronger riders caught us and we got a tow and did some short turns.
It was a hard 'race'.

Mark

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 28 Sep 2012, 19:23

Just notice that my Mudgee race report didn't post

Saturday: Mudgee 90km Mark Dwyer Handicap - 88k (by my measurement)
Disaster
Historically I'd never done well at this race and this year was no different, heading into disaster straight away, dropped by my bunch on 3k from the start, I evaluated what the problem was, took an energy gel and did some maths on what I needed to do, which was make it to the top of the upcoming hill at the 14k mark, so I needed to ride 11k at just the right pace to be caught by the next bunch and I did that perfectly. However about 10k on I lost focus and got dropped by that group. Up the next hill, I powered up trying to get back on and I was gaining, but once I caught, it wasn't the group but some riders dropped by that group. We worked together and picked up another rider, we could see the bunch ahead and weren't loosing distance, but we also weren't gaining. The route turned from North West to South West, straight into a headwind and we were caught by a big group from behind.
Success
The big group was working well and we were gaining of the bunch in front. We made excellent progress into the head wind The route turned to South East as we caught that bunch plus another at the same time, resulting in a big bunch.
Solo
Then I made the next mistake of this race, at about 65k the bunch split and I was near the back, I had broken a cardinal rule of handicap racing, that been that when you catch a bunch, you power straight past it, so not to get trapped by slower riders. I jumped out of my group and powered across the gap to the bunch ahead, but didn't quite make it. A couple of K's later I tried again up a hill, but to no success. So with my energy expended, I pretty much soloed the last 20 k home, coming home 101st on handicap and 87th on time in 2h29m (out of 148 finishers). Continuing my ability to do badly at this particular event.

Sunday: Mudgee Peter van Gent Graded Scratch Race - 84k (by my measurement)

Not wanting to repeat the problems of yesterday, I was keen to be competitive from the start, dressed warmer and took an energy gel before the start. The pace going out wasn't as hot as yesterday and I wasn't having any problems and was able to easily respond to any attacks. 30k in I had a minor mishap, as the road seal suddenly narrowed and 3 riders including myself found ourselves on the dirt, the other 2 managed to get straight back on, but I ended heading into the ditch, but held it together and got back on the road, chased and caught the bunch. At the 70k mark my energy was done and I dropped off the back, riding the 14k solo, to finish 24th out of 29 in 2:22:06, about 3m40s behind the winner.

Return to “Road”