Kurrajong Classic - Sun 23rd September

Road cycling & upcoming rides
T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 09 Sep 2012, 01:19

Entries close today for this race. Great racing provided you can handle the big climb at approx. 5km into the race. For the extra fast riders there's also the option for the Elite/U23/U19 NSW championships.

In other news, Tour of Bright entries have closed after opening on Monday (i'm busy when the race is on, so didn't pay too much attention). Another year to wait....

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 09 Sep 2012, 10:34

Entered...

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 16 Sep 2012, 20:07

Anyone give me a lift?

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 17 Sep 2012, 09:12

Yeah mike, I'll be driving the beast out there so you can jump in the passenger seat

Eugen Schilter

Postby Eugen Schilter » 23 Sep 2012, 20:11

Kurrajong race report
Starters: Michael, James, Simon, Eugen; all Div3, approx 90starters, two laps @33km
James forced the pace up the first Putty Road hill and this resulted in a break of 20 or so riders with Simon and Eugen also making the cut. Apart from North Sydney CC we three were the most prolific club. But the break was too big to work. So at the beginning of the second lap the main bunch re-joined - much decimated but with Michael proudly in. The second climb had the KOM on top and James brilliantly went for it. But one rider sprinted after him and wrestled him down 30m before the line. The two had a considerable break and continued. Simon and Eugen disrupted the chase as much as possible but with the KOM not pulling as strong as James wished –‘I pulled 42kph and he managed just 38’, James lamented -, they were caught 8km to go. Thus the scene was set for a 20 rider kick. James made a fabulous 6th, Simon ~10th, Eugen ~15th. Michael crossed shortly thereafter, 2nd of the bunch.
All four of us happy with James most likely the best race performance of his (short :lol: ) life; all proud to fly the DHBC jersey conspicuously.
Eugen Schilter
0434 527722
ph 02 9876 4310
fax 02 9868 7786
http://www.schiltec.com
http://www.blog.schiltec.com.au
http://www.tahiti12.blogspot.com.au

wallman

Postby wallman » 23 Sep 2012, 21:05

I went round in Div. 2! It was a bit lonesome actually without any other Bernard Riders, plus they're useful for instilling a bit of competitive spirit. Anyway as we took off up the climb on the first lap I went straight to the bad place and pretty much stayed there for the rest of the race. Each lap I ended up another group back over the top of the climb but managed to get back on. I was about 10th wheel coming into the last couple of kms but cramped in the leadout and rolled over somewhere in the teens. Eddie Salas was fairly pumped to take the win.

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 23 Sep 2012, 21:42

Great results guys. Sounds like a fantastic race and not a bad day for it.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 25 Sep 2012, 10:42

I wouldn't say the best race performance, as i've performed better in some races previously, such as Canberra Tour. I was definitely feeling strong during the race, especially on the climbs, and i'm reasonably happy with my sprint after spending 20km off the front.

Results, Finish Photos, and Finish video has been put on the Cycling NSW website http://nsw.cycling.org.au/default.asp?Page=47836

Eugen Schilter

Postby Eugen Schilter » 25 Sep 2012, 11:57

Simon's on the video too :idea: ;

http://www.nsw.cycling.org.au/site/cycl ... 0Video.avi

Nice trophy Simon and congratulations on a good effort / marvelous result!

Eugen Schilter

Postby Eugen Schilter » 25 Sep 2012, 12:00

What a knacker! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Eugen Schilter on 25 Sep 2012, 23:03, edited 1 time in total.

Eugen Schilter

Postby Eugen Schilter » 25 Sep 2012, 13:06

You were there at the end Matt! Well done and congratulations.

1 181 Eddie SALAS Penrith CC 2:27:05 [Splits:49:16 1:37:30 2:27:05[

16 190 Matthew WALLMAN Dulwich Hill BC Same Time [49:16 1:37:30 2:27:05]

http://www.nsw.cycling.org.au/site/cycl ... esults.pdf

I heard that it was fast climbing this year. The more I am surprised
that Eddie couldn't be dumped as for sure everyone knew he most
probably dumps you all in a fast kick at the end. :?:

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 25 Sep 2012, 17:22

Eddie Salles in unbelievable isn't he.

Well done though guys, it sounded like a cracking race with all the chasing.

wallman

Postby wallman » 25 Sep 2012, 18:58

I heard that it was fast climbing this year. The more I am surprised
that Eddie couldn't be dumped as for sure everyone knew he most
probably dumps you all in a fast kick at the end. :?:
It wasn't for lack of trying. The pace was on throughout as groups tried to get away and were bought back. I don't think Eddie was riding solo although I didn't see anyone else in the same jersey. The climbing was fast. I wasn't feeling fantastic on the day but I was still surprised at how far I was off the pace of the first group up that hill. Once I realised I was struggling after the first lap I started the climb on the second and third laps in third wheel so that I had the best possible chance of staying attached to the front of the race.

Eugen Schilter

Postby Eugen Schilter » 25 Sep 2012, 19:52

It wasn't for lack of trying. The pace was on throughout as groups tried to get away and were bought back. I don't think Eddie was riding solo although I didn't see anyone else in the same jersey. The climbing was fast. I wasn't feeling fantastic on the day but I was still surprised at how far I was off the pace of the first group up that hill. Once I realised I was struggling after the first lap I started the climb on the second and third laps in third wheel so that I had the best possible chance of staying attached to the front of the race.
This is consistent with the feedback I got from my local training mate (11th). He said:
"...Yeah we tried, we knew we'd just be racing for 2nd if he was still there at the
end. It was attack after attack, especially the first 2 laps but no breaks ever
got very far. I got away in the first lap with one other guy for about 5km but
wasn't able to get out of sight. Final few kms were pretty crazy, lots of
fighting for wheels, one second I would think I'm in the perfect position then
one second later I'm 10 wheels back.

:arrow: I don't know if last year's lap times published here
http://www.nsw.cycling.org.au/default.asp?Page=47795 are anything to go by but
my lap times were 49:14, 48:16, 49:29 which is a fair bit faster than last year.
***)

strava link http://app.strava.com/activities/22853965 ..."

***) I was in last year; pace and climbing was pretty tame.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 25 Sep 2012, 21:03

Faster lap times across all divisions than last year going by previous results. Higher numbers this year too.

As for my report eugen sums it up pretty well but I'll throw in my perspective anyway ;)

Got a good start position and held my nerve on the decent. Passed many riders on the first climb and was with the lead group (somewhere in the top 10). Kept out of the wind for as long as possible until the next decent. Got in a fantastic position at the base of the climb, got to the front and finally got my revenge on all those big blokes who hurt me on the flats during the year. Started strong and was thinking of jumping for the Kom when I saw a red flash. James motored past so I eased the pace ever so slightly. Was interrupting the chase as best as i could and crested in the top 10. Out of the wind again until 5km to go. Made my way up to the front, with 2km to go made a lame attempt at an attack on a slight uphill. Didn't work so held the front until 700m to go. Got swamped, then fought back for 10th! Thanks to Eugen for the tips throughout the race.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 25 Sep 2012, 22:44

Mikes race report

Lap 1
Hill - after rolling towards the front, overtaking plenty of riders at 22kph, my body reminded me that it had been sick and relocated it to 18kph. Riders went past me in drones and I crested the top behind the second bunch.
Chase 1 Formed a group of 4 riders and we chased hard catching the second bunch a couple of K before the left hand turn. My body had been acting strange, sometimes it worked properly and other times it just gave up the ghost.
Chase 2 The bunch was not working well and was a long way behind the front bunch. After a lot of "communication" eventually formed a paceline and then it gained ground hand over fist.

Lap 2
Reunion - As we neared the start finish line, the bunch broke up. About 6 of us went off and jumped the gap, but our effort was unnecessary as the front bunch put on the brakes, meaning that all the dropped riders from our bunch got on.
Hill - Got near the front and felt good, then my body decided to continue its sickie and simply stopped working. At one point I hit 11kph and went over the top as the very last rider.
Ride back - For no apparent reason, suddenly my body felt good and I found good pace, I picked up 2 riders as I went past then the 3 of us worked together and we steadily gathered riders and spat the odd one. One guy hit a pot hole and got a flat and there was a wheel touch, I guy hit my rear wheel but fortunately didn't fall off. We sprinted for the line, but I went a little early and one guy rolled me, so I ended up second in that bunch.

The data shows that I was quite slow on the day, I'm a quicker rider than I was in 2009, but last Sunday's time was much slower
2012 28th 52:07 56:06 -> 1:48:13 (Winning time 1:43:42) - gap 4:29
2011 DNS (Injured in ride for life) (Winning time 1:44:37)
2010 39th 53:10 55:25 -> 1:48:35 (Winning time 1:45:11) - gap 3:24
2009 ??th ??:?? ??:?? -> 1:45:46 (Winning time 1.43.43) - gap 2:03

While the result is not that good, I was rather happy that my knee that had been troubling me didn't play up and for that reason I was happy to have finished.

MarkL

Postby MarkL » 26 Sep 2012, 08:35

Great racing guys and well done Simon!!

It would've been pure torture for me to have attempted to race this one, I'm glad I was sensible :-)

Sent from my HTC Incredible S

Return to “Road”