Heffron Park 8th December 2007 - a special day

Road cycling & upcoming rides
mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 08 Dec 2007, 21:34

D grade - Michael and Weiyun
C grade - Me
A grade - Simon

I arrived at Heffron and D grade had 2 laps to go, so I wiped out the camera and started shooting;

Weiyun out the front with 2 laps to go

In the mean time Simon was relaxing at the side line while Matt was assisting with getting the truck out of the mud

One lap to go and Weiyun was getting competition from the ladies

A huge sprint from Weiyun and its victory

Here's the winner

And the podium

Please congratulate Weyiun on his first (of many) victory.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 08 Dec 2007, 21:39

After the race, sorry didn't get one during

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 08 Dec 2007, 21:46

Thanks Mike for the kind words and support. MichaelL also did a lot of the work during the race. Given it was ML's first race, he was fantastic.

I will follow a little later with the photos I've got and a full race report. But yes, glad to not come last like in my first two D grade races earlier this year. Got a good photo of you too, Mike! :wink:

Race report
--------------
After missing last week's planned race due to rain, I kept my fingers crossed Sat morning and repeatedly checked doppler radar and satellite images for possible rain. Fortunately, an overcast sky, moderate wind and mild temperature made for a great day.

Again, got to the park somewhat late with half an hour to go. After all the routine stuff, I was left with just time to do one warm up lap. MichaelL showed up initially for E but we decided it would be more fun to race in the same D grade. The race started with 8 riders by my count but for some reasons there were fresh faces later. Anyway, given my past two races where I got killed in the final sprint and came last and near last, I decided to kick in a few short attacks throughout the race and then try to get away at some point. So I started the tactic from 2nd or 3rd lap and with MichaelL's help and other riders who were interested in similar, the head of the bunch pretty much got reduced to five (Tanya, Leanne, a tri rider in Cheeky Monkey jersey, ML and myself). We then proceeded to share the front and each put in some surges to keep everyone interested. As noted by ML post race, in sections we were going over 41km/h. Despite this being ML's first ever race, ML took many hard turns at the front and gave me a chance for some solid drafting (thanks!). The pace further quickened in the last three laps where the tri lady started to put in some serious short surges. But judging by the way she stood to attack those pimples at the back of the course, I knew she was getting close to her limit. Then around half way down the straight with a lap and a bit to go, I split off from lead position and attacked hard. It was fortunate that I managed to break free from the rest and opened up a good gap. This I managed to keep till the finish line... Huffing and puffing and one up for DHBC. :D

Lesson learnt:

1) Highish cadence really helped during the race. So don't be lazy with those gear changes! Firstly, it permitted me to quickly respond to surges without excessively straining those quads. Second, I was able to recover quickly. In the past with a slower cadence, eventhough I was mostly able to respond, but each time the quads would get killed. And then taking that final hairpin riser before the finish straight would just leave my legs powerless for any further sprints.

2) Watch your back. Being more watchful of what's going on behind me, I felt that I was in better control and things didn't happen unexpectedly.

3) Save legs, don't do 2x20 interval in Centennial Park on Sat am, day of the race... Duh!

PS: It was my Ridley's first race since built. Maybe it does make a difference. ;)

timyone

Postby timyone » 09 Dec 2007, 01:30

thanx for the tips :D

\are they building a finish line?

micklan

Postby micklan » 09 Dec 2007, 09:53

Thanks Mike for the photos and Weiyun for the accolades, it was a blast. You never looked like losing the race mate! Well done. It was my first race at Heffron, hadn't even riden there recreationally. I can think of nothing better to do - than doing it again next week...in my DHBC jersey. :twisted:

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 09 Dec 2007, 10:45

Just picked up my first club jersey from Lindsay too. Yep, will aim for next Sat... Looks like it's 'Welcome to C grade'. :shock:

FAswad

Postby FAswad » 09 Dec 2007, 10:48

It was notthe Ridley. It was all you. Good work.
PS: It was my Ridley's first race since built. Maybe it does make a difference. ;)

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 09 Dec 2007, 10:59

It was notthe Ridley. It was all you. Good work.
Are you trying to make me lose my justification to the finance minister? :P

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 09 Dec 2007, 12:32

Ok, here are some more photos for the day...

MichaelL taking the lead while I was calling out for an error in the lap count.

Mike, thanks for all the fish... :wink:

Yes, made it!

MichaelL relaxing post race.

Mike at the start line with buddy.

Simon in the middle of the starting bunch.

Simon showing off the new club jersey.

Mike take charge of the bunch. Are you taking this racing seriously? :shock:

A close up of Mike dishing out pain...

Mike's salute!

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 09 Dec 2007, 14:00

Thanks for the pictures Weiyun. That's Theo at the start line.

Race report
Hadn't been on a bike for 6 days and more importantly I had suffered leg and back cramps Friday and Saturday, but not the ones I get riding, so wasn't 100% sure how I'd go.

Off the line I was quickest to clip in so I lead them around for most of the first lap.

After 2 laps A grade came around at full stick and had broken into 2 distinct bunches with Simon in no mans land in between. Simon got back in but a lap later had to sub scum to the effects of breathing in Tim's germs all week. Gave Simon a tap on the shoulder and carried on. Later I saw we were going to lap Simon, so he must of just done some cruising.

As the race progressed, there was an attack on the back straight about every second lap, two of those attacks were mine.

On lap 10 a solo B grade rider came by, I looked back and B grade was sitting behind C grade and they stayed there. With 2 laps to go we reeled in the B grade rider, who pulled to the left and then was trapped by C grade as B grade went past on the right.

On the bell lap B grade hadn't finished overtaking C grade and B grade was told 2 laps, but we weren't told last lap but we realised that it was last lap. There were about 12 of us left, with the others been dropped in the attacks. The two favorites attacked and was chased by 4 other riders including me, who was in 6th place, however we were overtaking B grade thru the pimples, one C grade rider grassed tracked to get past. Unfortentually 5th place wasn't holding onto the others and I was stuck behind him, I did consider grass tracking to get past. Finally I managed to get past on the short switchback straight before the curve to the front straight. I was a long long way behind. I dug really deep and went after 4th and 3rd, totally unrealistic but what the heck, it was going to be over in 500mtrs. I caught 4th and 3rd with 100mtrs to go, but didn't have enough energy left to pull past 3rd. So 4th it was.

Edit: fixed a grammar error
Last edited by mikesbytes on 09 Dec 2007, 17:35, edited 1 time in total.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 09 Dec 2007, 15:00

Nice report Mike. Looks like racing in C grade will be a whole new game. :shock:

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 09 Dec 2007, 16:10

Gees I don't have much sympathy for any crashes that occur on that course. Those boys were flying round the corners.My back wheel was sliding a fair bit. I realized later I had a slow release puncture but I don't think it really contributed.

Gees I don't really know what happened to me & I still don't. I was sitting in the first four wheels where any good racer should be, for the first few laps and my body just gave up on me. I couldn't even sit on B grade or really even really C grade for that matter. I'm still sore today but I did night shift last night so there wasn't too much room for recovery...?????

I just hope I can recoup for the state points race next weekend & southern highlands open....

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 09 Dec 2007, 17:57

I'll be interested to see what the average times were, because I recon B grade was less than 1kph faster. So was B grade slow or C grade fast?

http://www.randwickbotanycc.com/Racing%20results.htm

They probably won't be there until Friday or so

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 09 Dec 2007, 18:20

They usually take a few days to go up. Guess there's a lot of photos to edit for Rocky. Also noticed their race reporting have been getting more abbreviated over the last year.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 09 Dec 2007, 18:34

Gees I don't have much sympathy for any crashes that occur on that course. Those boys were flying round the corners.My back wheel was sliding a fair bit. I realized later I had a slow release puncture but I don't think it really contributed...
No wonder your were stuffed. Doing night shifts can really knock our bodies around.

As for you sliding around, I'd say the obvious reason would be your flat tyre. Given your weight and power, 10psi may make a big difference.

Huw

Postby Huw » 09 Dec 2007, 19:45

Great work out there! Congratulations Weiyun!!

There are a couple of bumps at Heffron that have caught my rear wheel too - particularly hammering out of the top corner onto the straight - a little bump when you're on the gas and the rear can skip out badly.

micklan

Postby micklan » 09 Dec 2007, 20:03

Race Report
Well my first race at Heffron, and even the first ride on that track, recreational or otherwise. I rode to Heffron from Wolli Ck in order to warm up. Started getting anxious - too late for rego, too buggered, southerly wind, hows the race work, etc. Saw Weiyun in the car park, did a a warm up lap with him and we figured that a small field meant an up grade from E to D grade. I knew the other riders would be fit no doubt, and I've seen Weiyun on training rides, so I knew he was not going to muck around. Start - first lap ok, then at the start of the second lap Weiyun hit the gas and I thought, *censored*, if this is the game plan? Followed and stayed with the group, back section is great to accelerate on with the wind behind you and attack the corners, (which did have sand in small quantities). A bumpy, sharp, right hand up hill corner leads to the straight, where the cat and mouse started, bugger I'll jump in front and see if that helps. The lead changed a few times with the Cheeky Monkey rider (forgot her name), powering strongly ahead at times. The clever riders didn't over exert themsleves into the wind and stabbed hard at the back sections. On lap 8 I slowed to take some water and take my sunnies off and...then...they're gone. I finished about half a lap behind Weiyun and the others. It was a blast! Strategies, maybe don't wear sunnies?, don't go out in front in the wind = hard work. Attack hard into corners, keep a good line, breath - note to self = breath and get a good rhythm going. I was down on the bars most of the ride. Q. is this good. It cuts on wind resistance, but inhibits breathing. I look forward to seeing the average speeds of the race. And I hope to have petrol in the tank, be in the bunch, on the last lap or so, to see how I go in the sprint. Next week. Oh, did I say it was a blast. :wink:

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 09 Dec 2007, 20:10

Congrats Weiyun - As they say in the classics. Welcome to C Grade.

Great job on your first race Michael L.

Good to see some teamwork which ultimately helped save some legs for Weiyun for the final attack.

Bad luck Michael C - just missed a place.

Good stuff Simon - Its been a long time since the red, white and black has been riding with A Grade.

Its good to see DHBC coming out again in force - and quite a few podiums lately.

Next week could be a big event for DHBC at the BIKE Bug 500, pudding races.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 09 Dec 2007, 20:31

I would have loved to go out and ride with Huw in A grade next week. I think we could really shake up A grade with a few members but there's a track open on & as much as I love the road I can't wait to return tp my native home at the velodrome.

But good luck boys & if you win and don't know what to do with the pudding, there used to be a tradition that they get given to Al....

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 09 Dec 2007, 21:49

Oops, it was my suggestion to MichaelL at the start to keep the sunnies on for protection. Didn't know that it caused you so much discomfort mid-race that you had to take it off. Sorry! But it is weird that once you lose a wheel, it's just about impossible to get back.

That Cheeky Monkey girl was definitely more energetic of the three ladies. But as turned out, she was out of gas in the final sprint with Leanne to not get a place, a classic case of not protecting oneself sufficiently during the race. Did you notice that both Tanya and Leanne didn't do many aggressive moves but just took their turns at the front? They were clearly saving it. Yet again, I think it was more fun and more training benefits by hitting it hard. Well, it was good to be able to destroy the D bunch. :wink:

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 09 Dec 2007, 22:31

- As they say in the classics. Welcome to C Grade.
A bit unfair given that I've only had a 3 session experience in criterium racing. I think I should have more before moving up. Oh well... Tanya did warn me during the third lap that I shouldn't push too hard unless I want a quick qualification for C. :roll:

wallman

Postby wallman » 10 Dec 2007, 07:18

You'll be fine. I raced C a couple of weeks ago in my first race ever and it was also the first time I'd seen the track. I got a bit of a fright at how fast the corners are taken but otherwise the level was pretty comfortable. I had a turn or two on the front, tried a half-hearted breakaway (obviously not recommended) and eventually came onto the straight in the sprint lap at maybe 8th wheel of probably 25 but everyone went hard earlier than I expected and I ended up with noone to follow in. If you keep yourself protected you should finish well.
matt

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 10 Dec 2007, 08:07

Thanks Matt for the advice. It would be an experience to ride in a significantly bigger bunch at higher speed, and then there are those overtaking A and Bs.

micklan

Postby micklan » 10 Dec 2007, 09:18

Sunnies, wasn't sure which way to go, as the day was overcast and with a new track it may help not to wear in order to see new bumps or cracks. I sweat a lot when riding, runs into my eyes and I always need to wipe with the rear of the glove. Glare, sunnies are good for this, but can't access a stinging eyeball without removal of said sunnies. Also sweat hits the glass lens and vision becomes blured. Sunnnies are loose. So i need to find the optimum with this one. cheers :roll:

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 10 Dec 2007, 09:43

Michael, have you tried a bandana under your helmet? I went across and have not looked back. It stopped the sweat from running down and supposedly kept your head cooler too. I would highly recommend a brand called Halo. Their polyester material along with a synthetic strip over the forehead have reduced the amount of sweat and haze behind my lenses. Not cheap but works very well. Burwood Cycles have them or find them on eBay eg. <http://cgi.ebay.com/HALO-PROTEX-SKULLCA ... dZViewItem>.

micklan

Postby micklan » 10 Dec 2007, 10:04

Yes I've tried the badana for training rides, but the amount of sweat is a lot, thus it still saturates the bandana and has no cooling effect in a long ride. Does assist with sunburn (thru a helmet), on a long ride where hair is a little sparse...

But - for the Heffron races = very good idea. I will re-employ my bandana for it. Thanks :)

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 10 Dec 2007, 13:10

I think there may be a difference with this particularly brand of bandana. The synthetic strip supposedly stops a saturated bandana from letting sweat running straight down the face, but direct them to the sides. Worth looking into.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 10 Dec 2007, 20:57

I think there may be a difference with this particularly brand of bandana. The synthetic strip supposedly stops a saturated bandana from letting sweat running straight down the face, but direct them to the sides. Worth looking into.
Ride faster, the wind blows the sweat away

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 10 Dec 2007, 21:44

Ride faster, the wind blows the sweat away
Because there's too much sweat, one gets distracted from riding faster... Catch 22. :cry:

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 10 Dec 2007, 22:44

A bit unfair given that I've only had a 3 session experience in criterium racing. I think I should have more before moving up. Oh well... Tanya did warn me during the third lap that I shouldn't push too hard unless I want a quick qualification for C. :roll:
You don't have to move up. Joanne Buckton may move you up based on your last performance however.

You might want to give it another shot if she doesn't and see how you go. Better prizes are at stake this week.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 10 Dec 2007, 22:51

You don't have to move up. Joanne Buckton may move you up based on your last performance however.

You might want to give it another shot if she doesn't and see how you go. Better prizes are at stake this week.
For some reason they lost my name on their database. So you are right, Joanne may not take into consideration of my previous two major losses. That's alright. I'll give C a shot this Sat and see what's it like. Given the prize on offer, I guess it'll be painful. I'll use it to get a gauge as to where my weaknesses are.

Any tips on C grade strategy? How easy is it to get a breakaway going?

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 10 Dec 2007, 23:12

Any tips on C grade strategy? How easy is it to get a breakaway going?
It's about 2kph faster than D grade and there's a little more attacking, usually to no particular result. To do a breakaway in C grade, you really need to have at least one other rider with you.

fixedgear

Postby fixedgear » 11 Dec 2007, 09:49

Nice classic steel bike can be seen going around in the C Grade photos.
Red frame, brake cables out of the tops of the levers, downtube shifters (probably friction) etc.

I should have a go around in (I guess) D Grade at Heffron myself sometime soon. I wonder how the Falcon or the Bates would go? I'd have to take the mudguards and saddlebag off the Falcon though.... and replace the current 67" fixed with about an 84" freewheel.

Hmmmmmmm!
Last edited by fixedgear on 11 Dec 2007, 09:59, edited 1 time in total.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 11 Dec 2007, 09:51

Yes, you need freewheel, fixed is not permitted.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 11 Dec 2007, 09:52

There are plenty of steels in all the grades, all the way down to E. It would appear that CF is already passé and steel is the bling of the 21st century! :roll:

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 11 Dec 2007, 09:59

Yes, you need freewheel, fixed is not permitted.
Didn't Lindsay ride his fixie occasionally at Heffron? I remember he used to tell me that the fixie is actually an advantage for criterium given the flat course and drive train efficiency. Maybe he did flip the rear for freewheel but I am not sure.

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 11 Dec 2007, 10:40

he can turn his rear wheel around to get a free wheel out of it. It is still a single speed, but he can freewheel.

Personally, I wouldn't want to race a fixie round that course, it is too technical, and when the hammer drops, it is too easy to get a pedal strike when cornering.

James

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 11 Dec 2007, 10:52

Personally, I wouldn't want to race a fixie round that course, it is too technical, and when the hammer drops, it is too easy to get a pedal strike when cornering.
I had a pedal strike in my second race. Now I am really conservative in terms of pedaling through a corner. :oops:

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 11 Dec 2007, 11:54

I had a pedal strike in my second race. Now I am really conservative in terms of pedaling through a corner. :oops:
May not be such a problem now, as you have shorter cranks, but depends on the height of the bottom bracket.

I seem to be able to pedal when others don't

Kieran

Postby Kieran » 11 Dec 2007, 12:24

The trick is, lean the rider, not the bike. That way the pedals don't get closer to the ground. After learning the hard way and getting launched skyward by dropping a pedal, I know know you can pedal the whole course at 40+ kph with the above trick.

fixedgear

Postby fixedgear » 11 Dec 2007, 12:49

Mike, I just checked the UCI and CA regulations re cycles and I can't find anything preventing the use of a fixed gear in a road race.
Having said that, I'd use a single freewheel at Heffron, by all accounts the course is too 'technical' for a fixie.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 11 Dec 2007, 13:06

Well, the crank is only shortened 5mm (175mm to 170mm). With a leaning bike, the ground clearing improvement would be less than 5mm. I wonder if that's a significant difference?

The technique of leaning the rider is a good one. I know exactly what you meant there, Keiran. Thanks to the tip.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 11 Dec 2007, 13:07

...by all accounts the course is too 'technical' for a fixie.
Shock, horror, sacrilege! :shock:

fixedgear

Postby fixedgear » 11 Dec 2007, 13:27

weiyun wrote:

'Shock, horror, sacrilege! '

Only too technical in a self preservation kind of way.

Everything can be ridden fixed, but at bunch speeds, I've no desire to have my pedal (and a real quill pedal at that - complete with steel toeclip and leather strap), come into contact with the surface of the Heffron Park track.

Off course I'll have the superior comfort, lessened rolling resistance, increased traction and higher bottom bracket afforded by the use of 28C tyres as well.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 11 Dec 2007, 14:16

Mike, I just checked the UCI and CA regulations re cycles and I can't find anything preventing the use of a fixed gear in a road race.
Having said that, I'd use a single freewheel at Heffron, by all accounts the course is too 'technical' for a fixie.
It's Lindsay who told me "no fixed". Next time I see him I'll clarify

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 11 Dec 2007, 14:20

Well, the crank is only shortened 5mm (175mm to 170mm). With a leaning bike, the ground clearing improvement would be less than 5mm. I wonder if that's a significant difference?

The technique of leaning the rider is a good one. I know exactly what you meant there, Keiran. Thanks to the tip.
Perhaps I do the leaning without thinking about it, as I've not grounded my looks while the speedplay equipped rider in front of me grounded 2 corners in a row.

micklan

Postby micklan » 11 Dec 2007, 15:29

With my first ride in a combined E&D grade on Sat. Should I go in D grade again this Sat or relegate myself to E grade, based in expected nos and one race? Do we get a choice on this?

BTW - i sweat buckets, especially in humid conditions. I can sweat in a cold room

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 11 Dec 2007, 15:44

Stay in D grade. You'll be fine and its always better to be in a harder grade.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 11 Dec 2007, 19:14

With my first ride in a combined E&D grade on Sat. Should I go in D grade again this Sat or relegate myself to E grade, based in expected nos and one race? Do we get a choice on this?
I'd say go D. Seeing what happens in E, you won't learn a lot. In any case, if you hadn't exerted yourself at the front and get distracted during that surge, you probably would have finished with us on Sat. So yes, go D and aim high.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 11 Dec 2007, 19:25

Stay in D grade. You'll be fine and its always better to be in a harder grade.
E usually consists of about 3 riders, so it isn't as interesting as D with 8 or so riders.

And with Weiyun not causing pain....

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 11 Dec 2007, 21:53

And with Weiyun not causing pain....
Me? Pain? No... Never! :P

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 12 Dec 2007, 12:51

Michael,

Definitely D. I rode D grade for about a year before I could even finish with the bunch. Even though I was dropped most times, I was still outlapping E Grade!

I would never have graduated from D Grade School if I had not challenged myself and taken the easy option.

I even won a pudding last year in D Grade for 3rd!

micklan

Postby micklan » 12 Dec 2007, 15:16

Thanks for that - D's the go. ta

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 13 Dec 2007, 07:24

Official results are out.

A: 18 Laps 36km Time 54:16, Av speed 40.6kph, Av Lap Time: 3:01

B: 16 Laps Scratch 32km Time 51:05, Av speed 38.3kph, Av Lap Time: 3:12

C: 28km 14 Laps Time 47:17, Av speed 36.3kph, Av Lap Time: 3:23

D: 20km 10 Laps Time 35:07, Av speed 34.9kph, Av Lap Time: 3:31

http://www.randwickbotanycc.com/Results ... c_2007.htm

micklan

Postby micklan » 13 Dec 2007, 12:58

thats an alright average speed Weiyun?

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 13 Dec 2007, 13:03

thats an alright average speed Weiyun?
Don't know. But the grades all seemed to be evenly spaced by around 2kph. So must be reasonable.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 13 Dec 2007, 13:08

D's a little fast.

There's usually 2kph between each grade

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 13 Dec 2007, 18:19

There's usually 2kph between each grade
Or B and C are a little slow. :P

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 13 Dec 2007, 21:54

D was a little quicker last Saturday. I wonder how that happened :?:

Return to “Road”