Exercise bike recommendation?

Road cycling & upcoming rides
GregPankhurst

Postby GregPankhurst » 04 May 2013, 19:50

Just looking to get an Exercise bike as part of my ongoing rehab program and upcoming shift home. Does anyone have a good recommendation (either brand or store)? Looking for something upright, very quiet, very stable, good for long stints and has a decent computer

Bill K CX

Postby Bill K CX » 04 May 2013, 19:53

Great news Greg, I don't have any knowledge on this, but am sure many other experts in club will, look forward cu soon

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 04 May 2013, 20:09

Hi Greg,

When do you think you'll be heading home?

Can you not put your roadie onto a trainer? Or is that not recommended at this stage?

Philip

Postby Philip » 04 May 2013, 20:58

Hi Greg, I'm the one you gave your stationary trainer to. I was going to use it for some photos I had planed. They still haven't happened and may well never happen. If you want it back let me know and I can drop it off to you next week, or whenever suits. Great to hear you're recovering. Cheers Philip.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 04 May 2013, 23:50

What's your budget?

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 05 May 2013, 08:04

I reckon you can't beat a good stationery trainer. A trainer with a good road feel. Kinetic trainer is the best.

GregPankhurst

Postby GregPankhurst » 05 May 2013, 09:12

A trainer is deemed a little on the flimsy and noisy side, so a bike it shall be Jo

Looks like a few hundred bucks is the going rate Mike. That's fine, if so

Out on Tuesday Jo. Still lots of improving to do though

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 05 May 2013, 12:25

In that price range, I wouldn't worry about electronics, they will be inaccurate to the point of being useless. The top end ones like this one (sold at Hillbrick) have electronics that actually work. That one is completely out of your price range.

If you have a look at the ones one ebay There's small flimsy looking things that you will rapidly loose interest in and then there's hefty ones that look pretty similar but come at quite different prices and there's reason for that. If your going to use one a lot then you need a better one. If your going to do it for a short time, then why not put up with some noise from a trainer connected to your bike. Your welcome to try my trainer (its gathering dust in Engidene) , I suspect it will not meet the noise requirement.

Something else you might want to try to break up the boredom is a session at the Athletic lab, which is near your office. You can use their bike, SPD-SL pedals. Or they can change the pedals or give you shoes to wear. Once your body is up to it, you could do an indoor spin class at one of the gyms.

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 05 May 2013, 14:57

My parents have an exercise bike that cost $199. It has enough electronics to give you speed and distance with sensors on the handlebars for heart rate. Dad needed it for a similar purpose (rehab).

It says it's a Celsius Sport. Don't know anything about brand names etc. They got it from Rebel.

Return to “Road”