MS Gong Ride 2013

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Joe

Postby Joe » 21 Aug 2013, 18:28

Hey,

I couldn't find another post on this so I guess I'm the first again... ;-)

Who's interested in doing the Gong Ride this year? MS just rang me and they miss us, probably because we raised heaps of money last year!

Anyway I'm pretty sure I'm doing it so I'll register soon and set up a team page and post details here.

By the way, if you want to be team captain you can beat me to it and get the invite to the thank you function at Government House! ;-)

Joe

Postby Joe » 22 Aug 2013, 08:00

Ok so I'm the first DHBC team member - http://register.gongride.org.au/2013-Sy ... cycle+Club

Assuming we raise a good amount of funds again I'm sure there will be an invite to the thank you function at Government House. They only invite one person from each team (usually the captain) but whoever raises the most this year gets to go. So if you fancy champers and crudités with the Governor jump on board!

Beejay1188

Postby Beejay1188 » 26 Aug 2013, 17:27

I'm interested..just sorting out whether it conflicts with anything, then I'll confirm my attendance by joining the team.
Just wanted to let you know theres another one...

Joe

Postby Joe » 26 Aug 2013, 17:58

I'm interested..just sorting out whether it conflicts with anything, then I'll confirm my attendance by joining the team.
Just wanted to let you know theres another one...
Excellent! Hope you can make it. That would bring our numbers to 4, which is a 33% increase overnight!

pflanagan

Postby pflanagan » 02 Oct 2013, 16:21

I signed up for the gong ride today. I signed up with a work team, as there is lunch provided after the ride.

Joe

Postby Joe » 02 Oct 2013, 17:09

I signed up for the gong ride today. I signed up with a work team, as there is lunch provided after the ride.
I could probably offer you half a squashed banana at the Gong if that's enough to change your mind... :P Have a good ride!

Rajiv

Postby Rajiv » 26 Oct 2013, 20:34

Joe, it looks Todd's already started a DHBC team: http://register.gongride.org.au/2013-Sy ... cycle+Club

I'm interested but it's really hard to commit to anything at the moment with a 4 week old!

Joe

Postby Joe » 28 Oct 2013, 16:30

Joe, it looks Todd's already started a DHBC team: http://register.gongride.org.au/2013-Sy ... cycle+Club

I'm interested but it's really hard to commit to anything at the moment with a 4 week old!
Hey Rajiv,

Yeah I totally understand. Let me know if you're in but I won't expect it. ;-)

timothy_clifford

Postby timothy_clifford » 29 Oct 2013, 09:32

4 weeks old, huh? Good luck with next week. To quote my little sister in reference to her baby daughter - "Week 5 was easily the hardest week of my life". No one seems to tell you about week 5 until you hit week 5 - "oh, week 5, yeah, that's tough".

Congrats, by the way! My little guy is 9 weeks old this Thursday, and I haven't been able to get to a club ride since he was born. It was a big effort just to start commuting again.

Rajiv

Postby Rajiv » 31 Oct 2013, 18:10

Yes, week 5 seems to be ridiculously tough! And no one told us about it either! Not sure if I'm going to get a ride this weekend at this rate. And thanks Tim.

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 31 Oct 2013, 21:10

Yes, week 5 seems to be ridiculously tough! And no one told us about it either! Not sure if I'm going to get a ride this weekend at this rate. And thanks Tim.

Apply Rule 5 in week 5. Keep it handy for solid foods, teething, crawling, walking, talking, preschool, homework, puberty and alcohol

Rajiv

Postby Rajiv » 01 Nov 2013, 04:57

Apply Rule 5 in week 5. Keep it handy for solid foods, teething, crawling, walking, talking, preschool, homework, puberty and alcohol
Ha! Great advice, but I don't think I'll be passing that on to my sleep-deprived wife who is very likely to respond with a variation to Rule 5 by replacing "Harden" with "Shut".

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 01 Nov 2013, 16:23

Can Joe please confirm the meeting places and start tiem for DHBC riders? On Facebook I've said this in response to a query:

They'll be meeting in the Sydney Park car park entrance (opposite May St) on the Princes Hwy at 5:50am to get a photo for a 6:00am sharp start

Joe

Postby Joe » 02 Nov 2013, 14:17

Can Joe please confirm the meeting places and start tiem for DHBC riders? On Facebook I've said this in response to a query:

They'll be meeting in the Sydney Park car park entrance (opposite May St) on the Princes Hwy at 5:50am to get a photo for a 6:00am sharp start
Yeah hi everyone. Sorry, I started a new job this week and the little one has been teething... So yes what Stuart said above goes (thanks Stuart!)

Despite my earlier comment on Fb I'll be starting at 6 to try and beat most of the heat. The ride is at whatever pace you like so we can go as a bunch or split up or whatever. Apart from being warm it looks like there will be a pleasant NW tail breeze AND strong southerlies in the afternoon to blow anyone who wants to do the return journey home. That won't be me as I'll be enjoying the NZ Breakers game against Wollongong - so nice of them to have scheduled it while I'm down there! See you tomorrow!

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 02 Nov 2013, 17:56

No bunches of more than a few riders survive the Gong ride. All get broken up into 3-4 riders in single file at most. Too many riders and insufficient lane width. Plan accordingly.

Any of you guys riding back?

Return to “Road”