53rd Grafton to Inverell Cycle Classic 228km Sat 26th Oct

Road cycling & upcoming rides
mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 02 Oct 2013, 09:49

Who's up for the big one this year?

http://www.nsw.cycling.org.au/cy_nsw/ra ... /13248.htm

Entries close Sun 13th Oct

A grade is NRS. B and C grade will start together but be awarded separate results. This means that when it splits up on the hill, you should end up in a bigger bunch than normal.

I've done zero endurance training this year, but I'm still thinking of entering

Eugen Schilter

Postby Eugen Schilter » 02 Oct 2013, 14:11

Yes I'm doing this, RHS.

Hope for one better than last year in terms of DHBC company. I count on you Mike!

Grafton's the greatest of weekend; guaranteed you come out, so to say, spiritually 'reborn', thus it's quasi a mental cleanliness 'must' Especially the DHBC Grafton outing has always lived up to what must be the ultimate of sport and fun, forever edged in memory. :wink:
http://www.eastwoodbx.net/

timyone

Postby timyone » 02 Oct 2013, 16:06

I'm racing the warnable instead this year, flatter :D

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 09 Oct 2013, 13:12

Anyone interested in being a support driver

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 13 Oct 2013, 20:05

Entries close in 3 hours, 3 of us entered at this point;

http://www.cyclingnsw.org/entrysystem/a ... ecode=3830

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 14 Oct 2013, 08:16

Anyone got Graham Plowright's contact info? Could you please send to me

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 24 Oct 2013, 06:45

This years race has a different format. B and C grade will race together but have separate results. There's 55 riders in B grade and 119 riders in C grade. So allowing for some DNS's we are looking at 150 - 160 riders in a single bunch.

Graham is in B grade. Eugen and myself are in C grade.

PJCampbell

Postby PJCampbell » 24 Oct 2013, 08:59

A great race that ends up in my hometown! Unfortunately I can't enter this year but I do plan on entering it next year, or at least before I hit 40. Hopefully there will be a small contingent then too. Would be good to ride with some familiar faces.

I wish you guys all the best with it, and Godspeed over the range!

Eugen Schilter

Postby Eugen Schilter » 28 Oct 2013, 19:46

2013 Grafton to Inverell (B&C Grade combined race)
Eugen Schilter (C Grade) race report

229km, nice condition
Starters: 171 (120 C-grade, 51 Bs)
Abandons: 56
Finishers: 115 (80 Cs, 35 Bs)
DHBC starters: Michael Clement (3rd start in this race) and me (8th start)
My race plan: Muscle myself in an early break in order to avoid the bunch mincer on the Gibraltar climb up the escarpment (km 72 to 89, 970m elevation).
------
A first leg test 2km after flag fall gave a miniscule 30m before folding. At km5 2 riders went, 2 more went, then I jumped with another trying to bridge. He did, I stalled. Rejoining the bunch I noticed a ‘conspiracy’ of 3 Grafton riders with one (B-grade) indicating to his two C-grade club mates that he is going to chase down the now 5 rider break. Thus, after less than 10min of racing I folded the plan conceding that it was pretty much mission impossible.

At km70 we exchange a ‘salute of the dying’ with club mate Michael Clement and training mate Andrew (Boundary riders, NSCC). 500m into the climb I am already in trouble and disappointed as I let go the bunch of about 50 riders. A further 2km up a slower group (Jeff Gray group) also passes me. I am now in approx 65th position and dangle between the Gray bunch and the stragglers. I understand that at the same time the front bunch split with Andrew missing by only a whisker. I recover marginally but still lag by 100m when seeing the KOM. My only hope now is the Gray bunch procrastinating. When cresting, that bunch is already 150m down the road, putting paid to my hopes. Now alone and with cooked legs, what can you do than cry?

Essentially, I got myself into the worst possible position: a bunch of 12 is catching up, at snail pace, and it has just one single B-grade rider to drive it. The leading bunch (27riders) had 19 B-graders; the second bunch (Andrew’s bunch of 20) had 9 Bs; the third bunch (17 riders) still had 3 Bs. But worse was in store.
At km115 we feed ok. No gain in speed though as the wind now hits from approx 1 o’clock direction. And, this damn bunch continuously drifts towards the left (nonexistent) curb with each rider getting next to no wind protection. I repeatedly try to get us organized, including accepting the suggestion by the only B-grader (Mark Gleeson, Hamilton PRW) to ride ‘30seconds turns’ style; No avail. I just give up understanding humans.

Not really an attack on my mates but in Glen Innes (68k to go), just to stay out of trouble, I took the lead through the feed station, gaining, without realizing, 200m. Alas; despite the still strong wind, here’s the opportunity to break the unhappy marriage! Things now move fast: 2k on and one rider bridges (Ben Underwood Sunshine CCC). 45s later he flicks and I take the lead. 10s later, believe it or not, ends my last lead for the next 60k. Call me a bastard, truth is my legs at that point just did not match his. He, mightily pissed off, moves to the curb mounting an offensive to sort me out. But, for dear life, I can hang on. ‘Mate, I spare you a fist fight, even pay you money, as long as you ride’. He accepts the truce but continues in the curb. But riding he did! Thank god that he has no eyes at the back. No word is spoken; he is a true professional. I hallucinate that on losing him I would just sit down and not mount the bicycle again until tomorrow.
Bit by bit, incline after incline gives me a reprieve as Ben’s curve stalls. OK on the feared Waterloo range climb (55k to go). On Wire Gully climb (21k to go) I even feign agony. On the last climb (7k to go) Ben is spent, he crawls. I overtake and solo into the finish.
---------
Result:
Because of the headwind all times were down by approx 30 min.
Michael Clement: Cramped since km65 and abandoned at Glen Innes (His first DNF after finishing 2010 & '11)
Me: 65th overall; 7:56:14; 34th in C-grade

My result commented:
Just outside the first third of starters; just outside the first quarter of C-grade riders.
This was my 8th Grafton; worst ever ranking (things are not going good :( .
The ranking seems fair against performance. Even flattering, as, by sheer luck and some bastardry, I could avoid finding myself 15 or more rankings down.
2012 (C-grade): 29th in 7:19

The positive spin:
Faster than 2008 (8:01); hurray!
B-grade results shows that Mark Gleeson finished 32nd in 7:58. Thus I would be 32nd in a higher grade had I ridden with another colour number plate. It clearly shows the mess of riding two grades together, doesn’t it?
I found the race hard going but the weekend was great like all Graftons are. Thank you, our host and handler David & Gay Harlow from Grafton; thank you Michael for the companionship and Andrew for the mate ship in training. Thank you dear fellow Boundary riders for the encouragement. Sorry I let you down. I’ll win it next year for you :lol: .
Attached photo: Michael Clement (Dulwich Hill BC), Tim Noble (Grafton CC), and I
Link to results:
http://www.nsw.cycling.org.au/Events-Re ... le-Classic

PeterOS

Postby PeterOS » 29 Oct 2013, 12:39

Top effort Eugen.
Will aim to jion you next year and yes I know you will win too.

Cheers

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 29 Oct 2013, 17:18

Eugene is forever young! Fantastic job!
Mike, you have the nicer and brighter jersey though! ;)

Eugen Schilter

Postby Eugen Schilter » 02 Nov 2013, 14:07

Weiyun, call me old :evil: - Remember Parksy? Watch this marvel I found on some facebook gobble: The legendary Greg Parks - in DHBC simply known as Parksy, later as Greg Wamsley, now residing in Taree - as he takes 3rd in the 1976 Grafton to Inverell [behind the equally famous Alan Spokes from Tamworth].
I did minimum two G2I with Greg, Warnambool, Tour of Tasmania (where Greg got 'crucified') and some other races. But what a photo! Watch Greg's bar end shifter cables (?).
[Incidentally I also rode with Alan Spokes (the father of today's pro), even managed to pinch the NSW championship from him, when he was out of form]
Greg Parkes was also famous for his finishing quote "If you haven't finished the Grafton to Inverell you haven't ridden a bike race".

Weiyun, now you know what age means; it's wisdom! :shock:

http://www.eastwoodbx.net/

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 02 Nov 2013, 17:59

I am in even more awe after that. You legend Eugene! :)

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 03 Nov 2013, 13:06

Alan Spokes? What an apt name...

Return to “Road”