Landsdowne Waratah Masters 27th October

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Fitzy41

Postby Fitzy41 » 23 Oct 2013, 11:57

Hello all.

There will be a couple of us DHBCers racing at Landsdowne on the Sunday (weather permitting) for the Waratah masters C Grade. Starts at 7.50. Would be great if we had a couple more DHBC reps at the C grade line up this Sunday if anyone is interested. Also good working as a team.

Simon

Beejay1188

Postby Beejay1188 » 04 Nov 2013, 07:32

Simon.

I want to have a go out there racing, but have never raced road bikes so not sure about anything.
Not sure what grade id be, as this would all be new to me..
Looking at going out to watch once or twice then getting involved after that
Can you give me any tips?

Thanks
Steve

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 04 Nov 2013, 12:43

Hi Steve - here some info. First up, it's masters age (30+) mixed scratch criterium racing in five grades A-E. You'll get graded on the spot by the Waratah's at the sign-on table. The younger / fitter you look the higher up they'll grade you. BTW, it's considered very poor form to argue for a lower grading and then win first time out :-)

At Lansdowne (2k a lap) grades C-E start at 7:45 in three bunches about a minute apart. Grades A-B start at 9:00.

At Eastern Creek Raceway (4k a lap) all grades start at 7:00. I don't race any of the other circuits.

if you're already confident riding in a bunch it shouldn't take you long to get used to racing in one, although there is lots more jostling for position and there are occasional crashes. At Lansdowne most are caused by somebody standing up on the peddles on the last hill and a touch of wheels happens - just be aware. There are also occasionally some numpties who appear to have no clue and do stupid things but the bunch normally lets them know it.

All grades will finish in a bunch sprint unless somebody gets away, which does happen at ECR but very rarely succeeds at Lansdowne.

Check out Waratah Masters on YouTube to see the finishes of all grades from the last year or so ;-)

And you'll obviously need a a Gold racing licence which you take with you. More info on their website >> http://www.waratahmasters.com.au/index.cfm

Fitzy41

Postby Fitzy41 » 04 Nov 2013, 13:21

Steve,

I would highly recommend giving it ago. Stuart is correct in terms of start times etc. If you've never raced and as long as your are proficient in bunch riding you'll have a lot of fun. The Waratahs are good bunch and welcome other clubs. If you've never been in a crit before let them know, they will likely put you in D grade. If you look too young and too skinny or say something like "I do 300km a week", then they will put you in C grade. It would be worth for your first go sitting at the back and getting a feel.

Stuart's right in that there are sometimes accidents. I have been out a bit and only seen one in D grade. The golden rule is that you hold you line right through a corner, which means if you start from a 1 metre out from the edge you hold that distance all the way through the corner. Not like in motorcycle racing where the line closes towards the apex. Also you're responsible for your front wheel, so don't half wheel and leave a safe distance to the back wheel of the person in front. You should also check out Heffron. The Course is a little more difficult and the racing a bit more closely packed but its also a good experience.

There's a couple of us DHBCrs that race at Landsdowne fairly regularly on Sunday in C grade. Would be great to get a few more out there if others would to come along.

In other news I won the Prime got a 3rd at Landsdowne on the weekend in C grade.

Simon.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 04 Nov 2013, 16:29

Great result Simon ;-) I race D .... but I'm MMAS5, fat & slow. I still have a great time. I've even come top 15 once ...

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 04 Nov 2013, 20:58

What is the comparative grades for Landsdown in relation to Heffron Saturdays?

Fitzy41

Postby Fitzy41 » 05 Nov 2013, 09:09

In terms of Grade Comparisons.

I am told that Heffron on Saturday afternoon C grade is closer to B for the Masters. I think it depends on the day a little bit though.

I've raced C grade at Heffron and had no trouble staying with the bunch. There are some tactics to Landsdowne, where Heffron can be giddy up from the get go. The wind is also another challenge.

Does anyone have any feed back regarding Tuesday nights at Heffron. I am told that if you're racing C grade in the summer series, you want to be B grade on the Saturday.

We probably should start a new thread regarding regular Crits, where we can boast about DHBC results as well as let others know who's attending. What do others think? The more red jeresys the better!!

And Stuart, I give you shout next time our grade passes yours. "Go Dulwich Hill".

Finally if anyone is thinking of giving criterium racing ago that has not before, try adding some extra structured training. There are a few that do the MC Cyclery Training Group and there are a couple of us that train with Ride with Velosophy. A lot of what our Group do is simulated race practice. Its certainly helped improve my sprint and staying power in the racing.

Simon
Safe riding.

Phil G

Postby Phil G » 05 Nov 2013, 09:46

Hi Simon, be keen for more focused training....are you able to pass on the details on the training with MC Cyclery and Velosophy, i.e. when, where, who is able to join and any costs...Thanks Phil

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 05 Nov 2013, 10:48

Great thank you for the grade comparisons. I'm stroking my non existent beard thinking about this one.

Is there much difference in travel times between Heffron and landsdown from say dulwich hill?

Fitzy41

Postby Fitzy41 » 05 Nov 2013, 12:07

Phil,

I've sent you some details regarding the training squads.

Strawburger,

Some ride to the Lansdowne circuit which is off Henry Lawson Drive on the M5. Heffron is about 20-30minutes by bike from Dulwich Hill.

I normally drive to Landsdowne, its just easier for me.

To help a little more with the grading and this is just my opinion... If you can ride with the Middies to Waterfall you should be able to contest C grade, if you ride with C28s you should be able to cope well in the bunch in C grade, 25s D grade and if you ride with the Fasties, you already know what grade you are.

Simon

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 05 Nov 2013, 13:04

Strawburger, the lowest grade you want to go is B.

In B I suspect you will attack on the hill. In A you will be hanging on.

If the course was flat like wagga Crit, then B would be roughly your Crit and A would be roughly my Crit however I haven't ridden Waratah at Landsdowne

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 05 Nov 2013, 14:23

Thanks guys.

Mike, you said the magic word... Hills!

Nozzle

Postby Nozzle » 05 Nov 2013, 19:17

Simon, I race B Grade with Vets. C Grade is similar pace but often messy with questionable moves being the highlight.....

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 06 Nov 2013, 09:41

I ride C28's and D grade is fine at Lansdowne where I can be near the front till the sprint starts but at ECR it's lots harder as there's more climbing and I'm almost always dropped on that last uphill run to the final corner. I'd never stay on in C at ECR although I may hang in there at Lansdowne, just.

Last time out Lansdowne Avg in D: 34kph ECR: 33kph whereas Trouty's avg in C was 36kph .. but I've seen her avg 38kph so I guess is depends on the day

Fitzy41

Postby Fitzy41 » 06 Nov 2013, 11:34

Nozzle,

I know what you mean by the messy moves. I normally hang at the back until the last couple of laps and put myself up to contest at the end. There's often anxious riders at the front for most of the race.

I image that the sprint in B grade should be a bit quicker though? My best time down that straight is 27secs. What times do they normally clock on the sprint in B grade? I bet the approach on the last lap heats up a bit more too.

Regards

Simon.

Return to “Road”