'club sanctioned ride' and 'ride leader' presence

Road cycling & upcoming rides
utopia

Postby utopia » 21 Jan 2014, 23:35

I have been meaning to ask this for a while.

Can someone explain the difference between a 'club sanctioned ride' vs one that is not?

eg: Is it to do with Cycling Australia insurance ? - and if so what is the difference?
or is it to do with an official Ride Leader?
Or does it mean DHBC jerseys should/should not be worn ?

Ta!

shrubb face

Postby shrubb face » 22 Jan 2014, 07:21

A club sanction ride is literally that, a ride that has been declared as sanctioned by the club or more specifically the executive committee. There is no requirement to have a 'ride leader' present but this cant always be guaranteed.

utopia

Postby utopia » 22 Jan 2014, 08:21

Thanks.

I suppose the natural followup question is : what is the (real world) significance of the act of 'sanctioning' by the executive committee?
hence the questions about insurance etc.

humanbeing

Postby humanbeing » 22 Jan 2014, 10:25

I'm no expert and hopefully one of the executive of the club can weigh in with a definitive answer. Club membership/Cycling Australia membership/license provides insurance whenever you are on your bike, not just on "club sanctioned" rides.
I think the idea of differentiating between sanctioned and non sanctioned rides maybe some attempt to mitigate responsibility/liability and especially emphasise the onus of self responsibility on a particular ride.
Wear your club jersey - fly the flag.
No expert so I could be completely wrong.
Have a great ride,
Peter

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 22 Jan 2014, 17:08

Thanks.

I suppose the natural followup question is : what is the (real world) significance of the act of 'sanctioning' by the executive committee?
hence the questions about insurance etc.
This is not insurance advice and you should make your own inquiries.
As I understood it at the time we made the arrangements, it has two insurance related benefits.

1) Ride leaders are accredited as coaches and have professional indemnity benefits when acting in a coaching / ride leading capacity. If the club says it is a sanctioned ride, then they are acting in that capacity. That means some responsibilities for the club in ensuring safety etc.

2) I believe there may be some difference in the amount of cover for sanctioned club rides / training as opposed to individual riding. But you should make your own inquiries as to that. That used to be the case but I can't see it in the latest insurance summary.

Whether you are wearing your jersey or not is immaterial to those issues. You are a member of the club all the time!

utopia

Postby utopia » 22 Jan 2014, 17:26

Thanks for the reply and the link Eleri.

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 22 Jan 2014, 20:01

The vintage DHBC people are having a touring ride (approx 60km) this Sunday in the Blue Mts. Can the DHBC committee determine if this can be a sanctioned ride. One qualified ride leader/cycle skills coach will be present.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 25 Jan 2014, 19:18

Yes. Sanctioned is just drawing the line between what has been club organized and what is organized by members of the club between themselves. I think before there used to be a difference in insurance coverage between sanctioned and non sanctioned rides and this is no longer the case for participants. But as I am not an insurance broker or authorized seller -and as Eleri stated before each of you will need to make your own enquiries or interpretation of the insurance policy. Secondly, whether sanctioned or not all riders ride at their own risk and cycling is dangerous and members and guests accept this risk themselves when participating. That responsibility for individuals who choose to participate remains the same whether club sanctioned or not.

Return to “Road”