Recommendations for a rain jacket

Road cycling & upcoming rides
jonboy

Postby jonboy » 27 Mar 2014, 07:21

I've estimated that the misery of cycling in the rain is less than the misery of taking public transport.

So I'm looking for some advice as to decent quality rain jacket for commuting.

I've had a fluro cheapie in the past that was effective for a month before the zipper broke. It also felt like a sauna with the plastic coating.

I don't have designer stubble so Rapha is not an option.

Something around the mid range in the price stakes.

Thanks

timothy_clifford

Postby timothy_clifford » 27 Mar 2014, 09:04

Remember this time last year? Milano-San Remo in the wind, snow and rain? Apparently the majority of the peloton was wearing Castelli Gabba jackets/jerseys, most against sponsorship agreements (they removed the Castellit logos).
Not sure how much they cost.

humanbeing

Postby humanbeing » 27 Mar 2014, 10:08

I'll be following this thread with interest as any rain jacket I've ever purchased results in the sauna effect except for a couple of weeks each year in the coldest part of winter.
My solution at the moment is wearing cycling kit, getting wet, then a hot shower at work and dry clothes. Less desirable is the return home which requires putting damp cycling kit back on and riding home to a hot shower. Not ideal but it's working for me until a better solution presents itself.
Have a great ride,
Peter

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 27 Mar 2014, 11:40

+1 on Peter's remarks re the Sauna effect but I think that it's better to keep the rain/wind out in winter and suffer bathing in your own sweat inside a rain jacker than freeze. I too will follow this thread with interest

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 27 Mar 2014, 12:22

I know you've said no to Rapha but they are having a 30% off sale today, until Monday, on all their winter jackets and Gilets.

You could probably find one that doesn't 'look' Rapha?

P.S. I do what Peter does. But have a dhb merino undershirt that dries off by the end of the day when it is time to get back on the bike. Not that I actually ride in the rain.

andrewm

Postby andrewm » 27 Mar 2014, 13:26

It just doesn't seem possible (yet) for breathable and waterproof fabrics to keep up with sweat generation at a moderate effort or above. Unless you are just toodling along, with occasional spurts of effort, you will get wet from your own sweat. This isn't just a Sydney climate thing. Iv'e had mountaneering mates tell me they get the sauna effect in the Alps/Rockies/Himalayas.

So you are not going to avoid the sauna aeffect.

Having said that - there is a big difference between a reasonable technical fabric and a glad bag.

I've been using one of these the last couple of years
http://www.wiggle.com.au/castelli-sotti ... in-jacket/

and it works for me. Fits in a jersey pocket. Not expensive. Reasonably breathable. Keeps you dry in showers. If its pissing down - you are going to get wet. Downsides - flaps a bit at speed (I suspect anything without a mesh back will flap a bit at speed). Zipper is a bit fiddly to do all the way up - they may have fixed this on the more recent version. Not sure how it would hold up to the rigours of a daily commute - it is a light weight race cape.

When its cold I pair with nanoflex arm warmes - the silicone magic does a good job of repelling showers. Again - if it rains i get wet.

Not that i ride in the rain - I fall over in roundabouts ;(......

jcaley

Postby jcaley » 27 Mar 2014, 16:27

I agree with others that you will have a sauna effect with moderate effort inside most really waterproof coat. Having said that, the newer fabrics like eVent that have superseded Gortex are much more breathable (than Goretex) and would work well a lot of the time. Top dollar though. Or go for a cycling cape like the ones cheeky transport sell - lots of ventilation

paul

Postby paul » 27 Mar 2014, 19:33

I bought a Vaude rain jacket, as recommended by Adrian when they were on sale at Glowworm bikes.
http://www.dhbc.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3149

It's much better than the plastic one I owned previously.
I don't usually commute by bike if raining.
Going out in the morning is ok, but donning wet clothes to ride home is miserable.
However it took an hour and twenty minutes to drive 12 km today, so I might reconsider.

Paul

Return to “Road”