Junior Road News, Events, Results and Race Reports

Road cycling & upcoming rides
colin

Postby colin » 05 May 2014, 09:37

Hi All,

With the Track session now over, it’s time to start a thread for Junior Roadies. Somewhere to post news, events, results and you race reports

The next junior events are the Canberra Junior and Women’s Tour, next weekend, and the Goulburn Workers Club Junior 2 day tour on the 24 May, entries close 11 May

Other news is CNSW is holding a junior development camp, 5 days, over the June-July school holidays out at Olympic park. See here for details

Colin

James Rogers

Postby James Rogers » 08 May 2014, 14:06

The Canberra Tour is on this weekend. Taku, Bro and Rohan (all U15) are going, not aware of anyone else? Goulburn is the next tour, and entries close this Sunday.

Worth checking the Cycling NSW calendar on their website, but the list of tours should look something like this (the site is currently down, so I can't double check these dates):

May 10/11 Canberra
May 24/25 Goulburn
June 14/15 Hunter
July 26/27 Tamworth
August 16/17 State Titles

Simon Bolton and I have been talking about the black art of navigating various NSW Junior Tours – particularly schedules, timing, and travel. We were wondering if there were other parents interested in hearing about what we have learn.

We are tentatively thinking sometime at the cafe after slowies – if anyone is interested, please let me know.

James Rogers

Postby James Rogers » 12 May 2014, 13:01

Junior Tour of Canberra

I’m writing this report, because I know getting one out of the boys will be like getting blood from stones. They are, however, welcome to prove me wrong. :)

The Canberra Tour is incredibly well organised, and has the distinct advantage of being based at the Stromlo Crit track… making it nice ’n’ comfy compared to most Junior tours, where the base is a paddock on a quiet country road. Also unique to Canberra, is that the Women’s tour is run at the same time, and while not taking anything away from the Juniors, it was a real treat to watch women at the top of their game battling it out on the same courses. DHBC was represented by U15 boys – Taku, Bro, Rohan. Support, of varying degrees, from Rohan’s dad, Richard, and myself.

We drove down on Friday afternoon, at about 4pm, and it took two hours to get to Liverpool… that was a bit sad. Not that the boys noticed, I think they woke up about half an hour out of Canberra. Taku and I stayed at our old favourite, University House, which is more or less the leather elbow patch of Canberra accommodation. Some last minute repairs to Taku’s bike ballooned into a bit of a reconstruction – probably not the best on the eve of a race, and in a hotel room – I think I torqued the last bolt at about midnight.

The morning mental preparation for the first stage involved watching Rage, eating porridge and making myself industrial strength coffee with the ever-fascinating Aeropress.

It was the normal rigmarole when we arrived. The boys signed in, and thankfully, no-one forgot their race licence. Barefoot Bro did forget his street shoes, but had packed his cycling shoes. With quite pregnant clouds above, we found a nice position under the roofed area, setup and the boys got their legs moving. The U15M field was one of the largest, with 32 riders.

The new suburb of Wright is increasingly becoming established around Stromlo, and there are roadworks on almost every available access point to the park. The first stage – individual time trial – was a 9km course down Uriarra Road. The start was about 2.5km down the road to avoid the road works. The boys managed to get to their starts on time, and all of them got out of the gate strongly. Taku and Bro used aero-bars in competition for the first time. Ultimately the TT – and the whole tour – was dominated by IWCC’s Mitch Wright, but our boys finished looking strong, and posted middle-order times.

It was a good solid four hours until the boys raced Stage 2 - a road race. This one was straight down Uriarra Road, over the Murrumbidgee, and up the hill on the other side to a turn-around. Anyone who has done the Fitz’s will know the return leg well, with the slightly deflating climb over the Three Sisters, a series of rolling hills that are quite unrelenting. The first climb is a cruel 10% wall, and it just loads the lactic acid into your legs. The subsequent climbs never really let you shake the acid out. The boys again posted middle-order times, and special mention has to go to Rohan for tenaciously battling it out on a pretty cruel course. Quite an introduction to road racing.

The next day Rohan decided he’d left it all on the road the day before, and opted for an honourable discharge from the rest of the tour. He had really done some impressive riding for a first-time road racer. Taku and Bro prepped for Stage 3 - which was another road race, down the same course, but extended to head off towards Brindabella Road. From the somewhat unilluminating reports the boys gave later on, I understand that group smashed it down to the Murrumbidgee, only to splinter apart on the climb on the other side. Smaller groups formed and shared the work, but the damage had been done. On the return climb over the three sisters and accompanying hills, there was little chance for the peloton to reform, and they came over the line in distinctly separated groups.

Another extended wait for the last stage, which was a crit. What a great crit track. Anyway, Bro discovered that his half-consumed gel from the road race had absorbed itself quite uncomfortably through his jersey and bibs, so he changed to his skin suit for the crit. He rode extremely well, staying up the front of the bunch and marking moves, and got the jump on everyone at the last corner. He almost made it! Clever racing, heart-in-mouth sort of stuff.

Taku didn’t have such a great race, after getting caught off the back by a sudden surge – he did mount a brave solo pursuit to try and get back on – and at one stage I thought he was going to make it, but ultimately finished the race trailing the group. I was impressed he never gave up.

So all in all, there was some good racing. I think the boys learnt a lot and were able to analyse their performances – what worked and what didn’t. I also think it did become apparent to the boys that there was a difference between the kids who do a lot of road miles, and those that don’t. Having said that, our guys placed reasonably in the GC, with Bro coming in at 18, and Taku at 24 (Mitch Wright, overall winner, won just shy of 3 minutes ahead of second place). The more you ride these things, the better you get...

It would be great to see more DHBC juniors at the tours. If you want to know more, feel free to ask.
Last edited by James Rogers on 12 May 2014, 13:22, edited 4 times in total.

jcaley

Postby jcaley » 12 May 2014, 13:14

Great write-up thanks.

utopia

Postby utopia » 12 May 2014, 13:54

Awesome effort from the juniors!

micklan

Postby micklan » 13 May 2014, 09:38

jcaley

Postby jcaley » 25 May 2014, 21:44

Day 1 Breadalbane
Taku Rogers, Broughton Caley, Rohan Haydon-Smith and Tom Boulton competed in the Goulburn junior tour this weekend.
I drove down to Breadalbane with Taku and Bro on the Saturday morning. We turned up an hour before the start time but the paddock beside the Breadalbyne primary school was already covered in cars, marquees, bikes and kids. This is apparently the biggest junior tour in NSW if not Australia.

Stage 1 Prologue -
(a short individual time trial). JM15s had a 6km out and back on Cullerin road. JM17s was 8kms. Rohan in his first tour recorded the 16th best time in JM15 B, while Bro and Taku came 13th and 16th in the JM15 A (Taku pulled a foot at the start and pulled his wheel crooked but fixed it in a couple of minutes before technical support could reach him). Tom smashed it from the start and came 7th

Stage 2 Road Race
Next event was the first road race. 34K for JM15 and and 45k for the JM17.
Rohan rode well in the 15Bs in his first tour to finish in the middle. Bro and Taku took a very relaxed approach to their race, holding up the sag
wagon and then making an impressive sprint for the line. Tom came home in the JM17 sprint bunch finishing 11th but getting the same recorded time as the winner.

Day 2 - Gunning
the weather was picture perfect - mild light wind sunny - quite unlike what I expected around Goulburn.
Stage 3 - Time trial
Rohan had some inexplicable commitment involving a team game with an out of shape ball and didn't race today. Bro and Tom had decided they went too hard early yesterday and planned to save a bit more for the return leg this time. Taku just didn't want any mechanical problems this time. Taku succeeded in his aim of mechanical-problem-free- riding but didn't manage to improve his placing. Bro managed to do one better than yesterday, finishing 12th, and Tom returned another 7th. Consistent.

I got to go for a casual ride out along a side road with Donna B and another parent before the final road race. Nice

Stage 4 - road race
Taku and Bro's plan - to hold onto the bunch for longer. This time the seemingly invincible Mitchell Wright got beaten for the win. Bro and Taku finished 13th and 14th in their race, but much close to the pace than on Saturday. Tom in with the bunch agaI haven't got his placing

Overall GC
JM15 A Taku 15th, Bro 13th. (there were 39 JM15 riders altogether including the Bs)
JM17 A Tom 8th (Probably also in the order of 40 JM17s)
PHotos at
https://plus.google.com/114934539442375 ... ofwZeUTvCE
Overall impressions - very well run event, quiet roads with good traffic control. Lots of kids competing in a friendly manner. Well worth the effort.

James Rogers

Postby James Rogers » 26 May 2014, 06:28

Great report, John. Taku's in for the Hunter Tour, entries close this coming Sunday.

James Rogers

Postby James Rogers » 03 Jun 2014, 17:41

Just got a call from Cycling NSW—the 2014 NSW junior road camp (u15-17) was cancelled this morning due to lack of interest. This is a real shame, as those that have been previously can attest to what an excellent program it is.

jcaley

Postby jcaley » 05 Jun 2014, 13:37

I totally missed any notice of the junior road camp. Maybe they should add it into the events calendar next time.

jcaley

Postby jcaley » 05 Jun 2014, 13:45

2014 NSW Junior Metro and Country Road Championships

Saturday 12th July 2014
Waratah Park, Rawson Ave, Sutherland, NSW, 2232Closing Date: Sunday 19th June
[URL] https://eventdesq.imgstg.com/index.cfm? ... rgID=20999 /URL]

James Rogers

Postby James Rogers » 13 Jun 2014, 20:43

Taku, Rohan and Tom B are racing the Jnr Hunter Tour this weekend. Three stages – ITT, crit on Saturday, and a road race on Sunday. More details here.

James Rogers

Postby James Rogers » 14 Jun 2014, 08:20

Adrien and Claude are racing too.

James Rogers

Postby James Rogers » 15 Jun 2014, 07:34

Hunter Tour Day 1 GC results, DHBC are doing well:
JB13: Adrien 6th, Claude 12th; JM15b Taku 2nd; JM17a Tom 5th.

James Rogers

Postby James Rogers » 15 Jun 2014, 07:44

2014 NSW Junior Metro and Country Road Championships

Saturday 12th July 2014
Waratah Park, Rawson Ave, Sutherland, NSW, 2232Closing Date: Sunday 19th June
[URL] https://eventdesq.imgstg.com/index.cfm? ... rgID=20999 /URL]
Suspect Cycling NSW will extend entries because of the typo, but I think they are supposed to close tonight, Sunday June 15 (because there is no Sunday June 19, at least this year).

James Rogers

Postby James Rogers » 15 Jun 2014, 18:36

Hunter Tour Day 1 GC results, DHBC are doing well:
JB13: Adrien 6th, Claude 12th; JM15b Taku 2nd; JM17a Tom 5th.
...and they all finished the second and final day in the same GC positions.

Well done to all the riders, especially the JB13 boys, who were doing their first tour and first road races.

Taku was chuffed to get on the podium, and unofficially christened "most aggressive rider" after the ITT and crit by announcer Mark Craig.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 15 Jun 2014, 19:15

That's great news! Really well done everyone, especially Taku and that deserves a photo and a race report I think.

Congratulations to the U13s - awesome to have you out racing too and well done on your first tour.

James Rogers

Postby James Rogers » 17 Jun 2014, 10:53

After Tamworth, the Metros and the State Titles, there is also the Junior Tour of Sydney, hosted by LACC.

Sat 13th September to Sun 14th September

Stage 1: Eastern Creek
Stage 2: Dunc Gray Crit Circuit (Bass Hill)
Stage 3: Landsdowne Park

Categories: U8 (participation) & U9—17. Prize pool is over $4000.

jcaley

Postby jcaley » 17 Jun 2014, 13:45

LACC Junior tour looks good.
Bro is entered in the Junior Metro road championships held at Waratah Park Sutherland on 12 July (entries closing 19 June).
We're thinking of riding out to Waratah Park this Sunday with the DHBC bunch and racing the regular Sunday morning crit.
Junior racing starts 9am http://www.southerncrosscc.com.au/racing/club-racing/

James Rogers

Postby James Rogers » 28 Jul 2014, 16:41

Test
Last edited by James Rogers on 28 Jul 2014, 20:54, edited 1 time in total.

James Rogers

Postby James Rogers » 28 Jul 2014, 20:53

This space left intentionally blank.
Last edited by James Rogers on 28 Jul 2014, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.

James Rogers

Postby James Rogers » 28 Jul 2014, 20:53

The Junior Tour of Tamworth was held this past weekend (July 26-27). Taku and Tom B represented DHBC in JM15 and JM17 respectively. Like last year, the Boltons and the Rogers travelled as a single, well-drilled unit, sharing driving, living quarters, colds, and home-brewed beer. This year however, there were a couple of differences: it was being held about six weeks later than last year, so it didn’t clash with the horse auctions or regional baseball competitions; and more importantly, I didn’t book the accommodation, so we actually got to stay at a quality establishment.

Tom and Taku, you may want to actually write a truthful account of what happened while racing. I am only able to extrapolate from the glimpses I saw, and what I thought I heard you say, which I am willing to admit was highly selective, and probably already embellished in my brain beyond all reasonable sense. I also haven’t covered any of the women’s races below, but saw many familiar faces, parents, and great racing.

Having learnt our lessons the hard way, we decided we’d get an early head start on Friday. We managed to make it out of town before rush hour, and had pretty smooth sailing up to Cessnock. Found a decent coffee, with some extraordinary banana bread. Ran into some of the competition, but we were sporting enough not to let their tyres down. We were more-or-less in loose convoy with a number of riders and parents, and most ended up stopping at Murrurundi (easy for you to say) for some lunch. Banana bread was not as good as Cessnock.

Tom needed to get to Loomberah (the area outside of Tamworth where the tour is actually held) for his recon session with the Sydney Metro Cycling Academy, and his coach, Donna Meehan. A bit behind time, we didn’t get to try the best coffee outside of Italy at Wallabadah.

The Sydney Metro course recon was thorough and pretty interesting. Donna kindly invited Taku to join in with them, and I think it was a good chance for him to hear and participate in analysis, tactical discussion and practical rehearsal on the course.

Aiming to get an early night, we headed to a local pub and enjoyed very slowly served meals made of reconstituted cardboard. Simon and I stared bleary-eyed at the early parts of the TdF broadcast, before giving up and going to sleep.

In some sort of fit of enthusiasm, I rode to the start line the next morning. Both the boys decided (wisely) that they would rather drive. I got a bit lost along the way, and pulled over to the side of the road to consult the Google-machine. An electrician’s van pulled up suddenly, and a bloke jumped out and started towards me. Being a Sydney cynic, I thought, “Here we go. He’s going to have a go at me for being on a bike.”

“Hey mate!”, he said, and I waited for the berating, “You alright?”

“Ah, yep, no worries!”, I’m lucky my voice didn’t crack with relief.

“You going to the race?”

“Yep.”

“Okay, see ya”. But I didn’t see him again. Thinking he was involved in the race somehow, I did expect to see him at the start line, but I didn’t. Just a concerned citizen. That put a spring in my step, but I should have looked over my shoulder to notice the storm clouds gathering. No really, literally, there were storm clouds gathering.

Amazingly organised looking base camp. Most of the time it looked more like a bomb had exploded. But on the first day, in the first hour, everything looked pretty sweet.

Except the weather didn’t look too good. There was a distinct weather system travelling in our direction. Although everyone who had a smart phone told each other that it was only light rain, it would pass quickly, etc.

So the boys continued to get ready, eating all sort of delicious preparations which Donna Bolton packed for them, and trying to calculate the optimum time to jump on the trainers and warm up.

And then the weather happened. It never rains in Tamworth.

It bucketed down, turning the dusty verges into thick, oily mud. The tents became crammed with kids on rollers, trying to eek out that last bit of warm up, shivering in saturated coats and towels. On the radar, a single band of rain would pass through, teasing the relief would come soon, but then another band of blue would come sweeping through. Water trickled through our clothes and kit, into uncomfortable places. Then the wind started to blow. And thunder started to rumble.

But the racing went on. It was a wet start. Taku opted to wear a base layer and a gilet. He also decided to wear my arm warmers. Little did I know, that this would be a prelude of what was to come for the rest of the day. The race started and I watched Taku, in my arm warmers, disappear into the rain.

I was planning to ride out on the course, and get some photos of the boys in action. Considering the First Testament was being enacted around us, I decided it would be more honourable to stay at base camp. I made a nice cup of coffee, and ate some of the CWA cake slices, just to keep the carbs up.

A bit wet.

First of the JM15s came ripping through looking strong. It was only about 1/3 of the riders that started. Hmmm. But then out of the rain emerged a sprinkling of riders. Taku doing his best to bridge to another rider, who was doing his best to bridge to the front bunch. They looked stuffed, wet, and probably quite cold. A minute later, they had disappeared again into the rain.

The JM17s thundered past not long after. They were completely strung out, everyone holding on grimly. They had also really copped the worst of the weather: wind, rain, wind… and more rain.

Both boys finished well, Taku seemingly unaffected by the rain, decided to do his warm down on the road. Which is when he had his first puncture. Team Rogers mechanic was called into action, while Taku retreated to the heated car, and gradually stripped off a laundry load of wet layers.

So given nothing was going to be dry by Stage two, and also given that Taku didn’t bring any of his extra kit with him, he started the next race a lot drier–in my kit. While I am happy to help my son when he is in need, really, there are limits. Lending my favourite bibs, my sunglasses, my merino base layer, and socks was not easy for me. I immediately googled the closest laundromat.

While the rain eased, it didn’t stop. Again, in the second road race, the JM17s copped all the weather. Tom got a 6th on the GC and Taku 11th. I think they finished the following day in the same positions, too. Talk about consistent.

As soon as we got back to the motel I scoped out the laundry and put an inordinate amount of washing on (how can two boys go through so many clothes in one day?). We decided for the sake of expediency to eat at the local RSL. They had a buffet. Sounded fast. We hadn’t counted on expensive. Simon had a major childhood flashback at the approximated Chinese food station. I’ve never seen anyone attack a plate of tired Singapore noodles and fried spring rolls with such glee. I kind of hit a wall of exhaustion. Standing in the rain, wind and cold, coupled with the emotional stress of the clothing incident had really taken it out of me. I really felt like I was getting a man-flu. Around us, the buffet buzzed. The boys loaded up on carbs and so did a lot of the locals, but probably not for sporting reasons. Taku found the most unusual and solid form of jelly known to man. Unlike dinner the night before, we were out of there within the hour. We finished off the evening sharing a quiet glass of wine with Tom’s coach.

Early Sunday morning was covered in a thick wet fog. Stage 3 was a individual time trial. The fog was dangerously thick. A half-hour postponement turned into one and a half hours. Just when it looked like the whole stage would be cancelled, the fog cleared a little. A little was enough to run the stage.

Taku adjusts his TT bars in the cold fog. Wind, mercifully, was not an issue on Sunday.

A lot less posed than it looks… the boys on the trainers, in the sun.

Soigneur’s delight, a rare chance to escape.

The fog slowly burnt off before stage four, the final road race. Simon and I decided to escape for a short ride in the country. While we were threatened by some ridgebacks, they were safely fenced, or didn’t seem to think we were worth eating. Whichever way, it was a very short, but pleasant ride through farmland. We got back before the boys took off again.

U17s, stage four. Simon was in the lead car for this race. By his account it was an amazing race of cat-and-mouse. Several tactical decisions had been made the night before, and they were paying off for some of the riders.

U15s, stage four. Taku came through the halfway point with the bunch. They were looking strong for boys who had been racing all weekend.

Tom took third place in stage four. Taku finished 13th, taking on and just pipping Nathan Craig at the line. Taku held onto his GC position of 11th; and Tom improved his. Both boys seemed satisfied with their efforts. We packed the car, and headed back to the big smoke. I know Taku benefited greatly by listening to and interacting with the other kids on the tour. Listening to Donna Meehan’s coaching from the sidelines, and trying to measure out his efforts, participating in a course recon were all of good insights (I think) and really added to the experience.

If you are still reading this far down, bravo. On the way home, Tom tried to explain the vagaries of power metre usage to Simon and I. I repeated everything Tom said, slowly back, like I was some sort of authority. It didn’t work, and I failed to convince anyone. To save face, I blamed man-flu. Tom quipped that it had been a most unusual trip—the accommodation was decent and I was sick, instead of the other way around.

The 2014 Tamworth Tour was just as memorable as the 2013 one, but cataclysmic weather replaced catalytic drunkards. All in all, well worth the trip.

Cycling NSW results and official report are here.
Last edited by James Rogers on 29 Jul 2014, 13:12, edited 2 times in total.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 28 Jul 2014, 22:28

You've set a new standard for race reporting!

And well done Tom and Taku - that sounds like tough racing in horrible conditions.

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 29 Jul 2014, 09:37

Great race report James... Well done boys.

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 29 Jul 2014, 13:31

Gold!
James, it as discussed this morning that you should consider a career in the movies. no wait....

jcaley

Postby jcaley » 22 Aug 2014, 12:38

[quote="James Rogers"]After Tamworth, the Metros and the State Titles, there is also the Junior Tour of Sydney, hosted by LACC.

As part of the tour, LACC is putting up a Club Cup.
" The Club Cup will be awarded to the club with the highest point score. The point score will be calculated by adding the participation points and the GC points from each rider for every Club.
As the host club, LACC will not contest the Club Cup."

This should be a great intro to road racing for DHBC juniors.
More info on the event page on the LACC Website.

jcaley

Postby jcaley » 02 Sep 2014, 14:00

Even though it was supposed to close last Sunday, registrations were still open this morning for the Telstra Tour of Sydney at the CNSW Link
Bro, Max, Lawrence and Adrian are entered. I think this is also good opportunity for first time road racers. They have changed the "participation" category from U8 to all ages.

jcaley

Postby jcaley » 13 Sep 2014, 08:01

Telstra tour Stage 1 Bro got second by half a wheel and Max third in JM15. Adrian 6 or 7 th and Lawrence 12th in JM13

jcaley

Postby jcaley » 14 Sep 2014, 20:43

2014 Telstra Junior Tour of Sydney Results
4 DHBC members ended raced: Adrien Triccas and Lawrence Santos in JM13, and Bro Caley and Max Santos in JM15
with the following results
Adrien Triccas JM13
In a field of 16
6th Eastern Creek Motorway
6th Dunc Gray Crit
7th Lansdowne
6th overall

Lawrence Santos JM13
13th Eastern Creek Motorway
11th Dunc Gray Crit
10th Lansdowne
10th overall

Max Santos JM15
In a field of 18
3rd Eastern Creek Motorway
7th Dunc Gray Crit
5th Lansdowne
5th overall (and he's got another year to go in JM15s)

Broughton Caley JM15
2nd Eastern Creek Motorway
1st Dunc Gray Crit
3rd Lansdowne
2nd overall

It was well run on good circuits - thanks LACC.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 15 Sep 2014, 22:13

Congratulations to all the juniors! That's a lot of racing over a weekend, especially when Bro and Max both raced RAW on the Friday night.

Some solid results for Bro and Max in JM15. Adrien and Lawrence in their first year of road racing too - doing well. Solid results everyone.

jcaley

Postby jcaley » 18 Sep 2014, 11:35

2014 NSW State Junior Criterium Championships - Sunday 12th October 2014
I think there are a bunch of DHBC kids can enter this event for the experience, and it's good for their track racing too. Its close, inexpensive and on a small circuit
Venue: Dunc Gray Velodrome Criterium Circuit, Carysfield Rd, Bass Hill, NSW, 2197
Categories: U9, U11, U13, U15, U17
Entries close Sunday 29th September
More details and link to entry
PLEASE NOTE ALL COMPETITORS WILL RACE IN THEIR 2014 AGE CATEGORIES WITH THE APPROPRIATE CATEGORY GEARING (that may be different to their track age categories which change on 1 Oct for some)

Return to “Road”