Muswellbrook Road Opens (Long & Short) 19-20th July

Road cycling & upcoming rides
T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 06 Jun 2008, 15:43

Coming soon is one of the longer races of the Year, The Muswellbrook Explorer, but this is preceded by the Rosemount Open, which is fairly short.

Saturday 19th is a nice short hitout starting at Rosemount Estate (Denman). This is a scratch race of 55km (C,D,E grades), 75km (B), or 95km (A). It is great fun, just don't get boxed in for the sprint. There's usually some wine as well as the cash for the placegetters.

Sunday 20th is one of the Longer races of the year at 165km. It is a scratch race with A,B starting together and C,D together (most of us will be D grade). The race features a couple of reasonable climbs, but i believe the bigger effort is lasting the distance. I expect Eugen to be back this year to defend his D grade Title (achieved through a very long breakaway with 3 left at the finish), while i'm hoping to improve a bit on my 8th place.

Let me know your interest, and i especially reccomend the Explorer to those planning to do Grafton. Entries close 6/7/08.

I'll most likely be riding the Explorer, but i can reccomend some nice accomodation for those doing both.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 09 Jun 2008, 02:01

I'll probably only ride the Saturday. 165kms isn't really my cup of tea but muswellbrook does possess one of my favourite velodromes and I"ve heard this race is dead flat, something for the big men who can't climb which will make a few of us happy. If our club gets together a sufficient autobus commited to finishing or someone driving behind to pick me up on the chance I get dropped I'll consider it.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 09 Jun 2008, 10:18

Not completely flat, but flat enough i guess. http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/australia ... 9915314199 Made the map from memory, but i'm pretty sure it's 99% correct.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 04 Jul 2008, 20:25

Is anyone else planning to enter? Entries close Sunday!!!

So far i know about me and Eugen for the Sunday, though i'm not working on the Saturday, so i may drive up for that as well, and ensure a nice relaxing morning for the Sunday.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 05 Jul 2008, 00:14

I"m planning to ride the Saturday only. I 'll enter before Sunday.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 05 Jul 2008, 01:18

I've entered the Saturday.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 06 Jul 2008, 23:40

I had a think about it all, and i've decided to stick to the Sunday so i don't have to pay for accomodation, and i don't want to drive up and back both days either.

You should go well Simon, just make sure you're not boxed at the finish, and know where it is. The hills shouldn't be a problem, just stay close enough to the front to be able to follow any accelerations, plus there's a little ford (or whatever) they warn you about, which isn't really too bad from memory, just make sure you're in a lower gear to get up the other side.

I think it's just me and Eugen for the Sunday, so hopefully i can sit in and enjoy the ride.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 07 Jul 2008, 01:40

I really enjoy those short fast road races, especially how my race wheels are almost ready for take off. There's nothing better than backing up after friday night winter racing and having that cement like feeling in your legs to begin with where they struggle to move and then riding out of it! What a fantatsic way to spend a Saturday afternoon!!!

Still regarding myself as a trackie I've got to say though what is happening roadies? no entries? has the enthusiasm died? This is the second road open this year that I"m flying solo... :D :D

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 07 Jul 2008, 01:51

You tell them Simon!!!!

If i had one other rider in for both days, i'd be racing the saturday, as accomodation would be able to be split. On the plus side, the money i'm saving will cover entries for Tamworth and Cootamundra.

(and yes, i was up watching the tour again, but on the trainer for the last bit this time at least, and i do believe i had a bike length on Hushovd in the sprint 8) . That's why his arms didn't go up!! :wink: )

wallman

Postby wallman » 16 Jul 2008, 16:50

I'm thinking about breaking out the yellow/grey jersey and giving it a spin as a late entry in Sunday's race. What sort of time are you thinking about leaving James to be there for the start?

I'm also a bit worried about the class of competition, given that Huw struggled in combined C/D grade in Mudgee and I raced E there. Does D split off en masse or is it just a case of hanging onto the combined group no matter what?

Matt

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 16 Jul 2008, 20:59

well, i survived last year until the last KOM, and was 6th in D grade. It's not too hard a pace, just don't work too much and save the energy and you'll be fine.

I'm going up with Eugen, though he can fit 3 people, haven't spoken to him about leaving time, though i'd guess 5:15am from his house.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 21 Jul 2008, 13:51

Well, it was a good day of racing yesterday, Eugen finished in the lead bunch, just out of the prizes, and i eventually finished after getting dropped and then having to deal with cramps and a lack of energy.

After being sick all week, i wasn't expecting too much out of myself during the race, but made sure to hang on as long as possible. The first decisive climb of Owens Gap is where the main rider selection is made in this race, and at the bottom i had made the mistake of being near the back of the bunch, so i had to ride a bit harder and weave my way through more than half the bunch to be on the lead group over the top, before plummeting at 82km/hr down the other side. Eugen was happy to see i was still in the bunch, but it was still a long way to go, and for the next 30-40km there were small hills and a not so nice crosswind. My main hope was to still be in the bunch after the climb coming out of Merriwa, but with a strong crosswind, and a bit of tiredness i was soon blown out the back after 92km of racing. I got onto a small group chasing, but then the cramping began, and i was out the back as my legs seized, so i resigned myself to a slow ride to the finish to hold off the cramps, unable to lift the speed to get onto any groups as my legs would seize. I did find another rider for company over the last 30-40km, and got to the finish in just over 5hrs (i think). Just need to work on that endurance a bit more, though i suspect i lost a bit from being sick.

Just looking over the results, i noticed Simon got a 3rd in D-Grade on Saturday, so Well Done to Simon.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 21 Jul 2008, 15:07

Just looking over the results, i noticed Simon got a 3rd in D-Grade on Saturday, so Well Done to Simon.
Those results are definitely wrong.

Return to “Road”