Tour of Bright

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 17 Oct 2008, 17:05

Hi peeps,
Is it too late to enter the Tour of Bright. I only just found out about i but it looks amazing!

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 17 Oct 2008, 17:31

Not too late. I haven't entered yet. Entries close November 24th.

It's a great race, mainly for the scenery and the fact you get to climb the Aussie alps. Last year going up Hotham you were climbing through the clouds, can't beat it, apart from dealing with the 11% pinches.

More info here http://www.tourofbright.com.au/

I need to confirm I can get the weekend off work (should be able to do it) and then i'll start thinking about organising accomodation, transport to Bright, etc.

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 17 Oct 2008, 17:38

Sounds like a great event. If i enter I'll really need help with transport... unless I ride there!

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 06 Nov 2008, 20:47

Just wanted to get an idea of who is planning on going down to Bright this year, as i would like to start organising accomodation, etc.

So far, it's Me and Eugen.

Kieran

Postby Kieran » 10 Nov 2008, 15:12

Okay, I am 90% certain for this one.

wallman

Postby wallman » 10 Nov 2008, 21:47

I'm also 90% certain, but at the same time 10% uncertain.
100% Matt

wallman

Postby wallman » 18 Nov 2008, 13:38

As it turns out the 10% has won out and I'm going to pass on this. I've just got too much on at the moment to give it the attention it deserves. Good luck to whoever manages to make it down there.
Matt

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 08 Dec 2008, 17:52

Just a brief report on the race.

It was Eugen, Kieran and me making the long drive down to Victoria for the Tour of Bright. Leaving the rain of Sydney (it was raining when we left) the sky gradually cleared as we got closer to our destination.

My severe lack of training (i guess i should be saying no riding for a month) mean't i had no big goals, and was just going to enjoy the riding, scenery, and suffering. I guess Kierans main plan was to avoid crashing as he did last year. Eugen on the other hand, after once again talking his way from Masters 6+ into Masters 4/5 was hoping for another high finish on GC after his 6th place last year.

Stage 1 saw me and Kieran in C grade, where the place was luckily not too hard too early. We even had to stop on the side of the road so Masters 1/2/3 could pass. Unfortunately my lack of training was evident as we hit the first climb where i proceeded to be dropped, and found i had nothing in the legs once over the top, so i settled into taking it easy and getting to the finish. Gradually making my way up the final climb of Tawonga Gap, 1km from the top i stopped to assist a fellow C grader whose tire had blown out losing me a fair chunk of time, though at that point i didn't really care. Luckily for him there were people at the top with a spare tire to give him, as there was no way he could ride the descent on his tire.
In Masters 4/5 Eugen managed 7th place.

Stage 2 time trial in the afternoon after stage 1 is always tough with bodies not yet recovered. There was a strong headwind on the outward leg, but a much nicer tailwind on the return. I rode better than i had in the first stage, but nothing really special, and almost 2mins slower than the previous year. Kieran rode a solid time trial, but was expecting to do a better ride. Eugen battled hard as the last starter, but dropped back to 13th overall.

Stage 3 was the Magical ride up Mt Hotham, with 30km of climbing and the last 10km being the hardest. A cold morning (not to mention rain the previous night) was a bit concerning, but luckily as the start got closer, it warmed up to become a beautiful day. In the early kms of the climb, me and Kieran had our issues, he dropped his chain, and i dropped my glasses, though i had been tailed off the back of the front bunch along with half the staters by that point. It was a struggle to get up especially in the tough final 10km where there are several steep pitches. With just over 1km to go i repassed Kieran who had to take a break, while i tried to keep the bike moving forward. After reaching the top it was only another 56km to ride back to Bright, but luckily it was 30kms downhill, and we found a group to tow us along he flat.
Eugen once again put a great effort in. As he flew past me up the climb he was leading a small group of riders, though 6 had already flown the coup and were infront. Eventually he finished in 10th place, leaving him with 11th overall.

That's all for Bright this year, hopefully all those 10% won't win out next year and we can have some more riders head down for the suffering, though some training will be implemented in my race lead up next year. Results can be found here http://www1.your-sports.com/details/ind ... 02&lang=en

Hopefully there'll be some photos available soon.

Kieran

Postby Kieran » 09 Dec 2008, 20:22

thanks for the great report James.

Agreed we must train more for next year.

timyone

Postby timyone » 11 Dec 2008, 22:32

under trained for it hey james? that doesnt sound like you at all...

are there any races on after we go touring? that would be your best prep in years :D

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 11 Dec 2008, 22:56

After our touring i'll still need to continue my training for the Road season, but should have a good base under me. I am planning to have some good miles done before we go touring anyway.

Speaking of touring, i've got some things i need to confirm/decide/organise, before the route and itinery can be finalised, see the touring topic.

Return to “Road”