Motorised Bikes

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
jimmy

Postby jimmy » 03 Jun 2009, 08:03

This morning I had a guy on a motorised bike pull up beside me at the lights. I mentioned to him that I really hate them.

From what I understand as well, they are illegal. I remember a few years ago, there were things called pocket bikes that were being imported, and while it was legal to sell them, it wasn't legal to use them in public spaces. The reason being, that they weren't legally allowed to be used on the footpath, but they didn't meet the minimum requirements for registration, which meant that they couldn't be used on the road. I would suspect that these motorised bikes would be the same.

I know that power assisted bikes are legal, because you have to pedal in the first place to get anywhere, the motor simply adds to the power that you are providing. But this was a fuel powered fully motorised bike, if he didn't pedal, then he could still get somewhere.

From a purist point of view, I am divided on power assisted bikes, but for an outright powered bicycle, I see them more like a motor bike.

What are other peoples thoughts? And I would be interested to hear if anyone knows where they are legally.

James

lindsay

Postby lindsay » 03 Jun 2009, 08:19

There's quite a few of them getting around Parramatta. They seem to appeal to a certain type. I've seen the Police stop atleast one, although there could have been other reasons for this.

I don't like them because I don't think you need a motor to get around. If I can do it anybody can. It turns a beautiful machine into a horrible hybrid. I also think those motors are a piece of crap, I don't think they'd do the 10,000km per year my commuter does.

Sorry to be so negative. I just can't think of one good thing to say about them however.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 03 Jun 2009, 08:41

There's definitely some legal issues with these combustion motor assisted bikes. eBay sellers of these devices always have a bunch of disclaimers,
http://is.gd/ME9r

In terms of terminal speed, this one wins the prize, even if it's battery powered. 120km/h is just insane. I can't even get near 2000W in a hard sprint, let alone sustaining it.
http://is.gd/MEaS

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 03 Jun 2009, 09:05

Sorry to be so negative. I just can't think of one good thing to say about them however.
Don't worry, I was thinking of running a poll with the options

Don't like them
Hate them
Detest them
If I never see another one it will be too soon

James

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 03 Jun 2009, 09:15

I understand from SC forum that RTA is presently looking for input on a draft management document of these power bikes.

http://www.sydneycyclist.com/forum/topi ... -to-define

How do you feel about electric motor assisted bikes vs combustion engine powered bikes? Is it acceptable if they are quiet?

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 03 Jun 2009, 09:26

Power Assisted I do see differently, if you don't pedal, you get nothing from them. You still have to give something to get anything out of the motor.

They are quiet, and the user still gets some exercise, just not as much. Plus Power Assisted bikes also have a limit to the amount that they will give. I have heard that they often max at about 30km/hr, so if you pedal quicker than that, they you get nothing from the motor.

I am probably ambivalent about them. I can see their use, but I would probably never use one.

James

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 03 Jun 2009, 09:47

I mixed with a large number of electric powered bikes during my riding in BJ last year. They do have a top speed of around 28-30km/h and most of the riders don't bother with the pedal. It gets used more like a Segway than a bicycle. They are great to draft behind on a windy day but can be easily dropped if one goes north of 30km/h. Otherwise they can sneak up behind you given their quietness and give you a fright.

Toff

Postby Toff » 03 Jun 2009, 14:24

I had one overtake me on the uphill section of the harbour bridge deck the other morning. It was quiet and the rider was doing over 30 km/h in his shorts and t-shirt (no lycra). I went straight past him on the downhill side though. Didn't seem to offend me as it was noiseless. I can't stand the petrol smokepots though.

I will make one exception to that last stement... Dernies. I would love to ride to work on a proper derny with pedals just once. Not sure how fast they can go but I'm sure they'd get close to 100 km/h.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 03 Jun 2009, 22:40

I guess if the riders of them weren't riding them, they would be driving their cages

williamd

Postby williamd » 05 Jun 2009, 22:46

They are not allowed on the roads if the power of the motor is more than 200 watts. You don't need registration or a license. Some people use them if they have lost their drivers license.A lot of the motors made in China exceed the 200watt limit and are noisy.I saw one the other day along Parramatta road and he must have been doing 40k/h uphill.
When I was in Germany a few years ago I had a ride on a Sachs electic bike which was effortless to pedal and very quite.
I was thinking of an electric motor on my road bike to get me up the hills and with the full fairing for down hills I will be ripping along. lol

Jono

Postby Jono » 07 Jun 2009, 12:10

There are guys at work who use them to commute. Particulary one who lives in Bardwell Park, he claims that it enables him to ride up the hill on his way home. I have seen them converted from Kmart MTBs.
I was on a train to the Blue Mountains with a friend and a guy got on with an old MTB with a petrol assist engine. I got talking to him about it, he claimed he bought it from a guy who imports them from Thailand. I gather the guys at work get them from a place at Penrith who convert mtbs etc to petrol assistance motors.
When the guys in grey came along he was fined for not having a ticket AND bringing dangerous goods onto a train (namely a tank full of petrol). One of the transit officers was a ex-highway patrol officer and grilled him as to the how many CCs the engine was (I have been told that they are legal but must not exceed a certain CC).
The sydney cyclist forum topic quotes a paper the gist of which is "With reference to the current definition of a PAPC, the paper maintains pedalling as the primary power source but recommends:

· an increase in maximum continuous rated power to 250 watts;

· limiting the maximum assisted speed below 25 km/h; and

· requiring the rider to pedal for the auxiliary power source to be engaged."
Personally I hope this gets rid of the 2stroke powered faux motorbikes and leave the Electic bikes alone. Interestingly enough the RTA has changed the design rules for Electric bikes to differentiate the "small motorcycle with pedals" (the electric bikes that look like mopeds) from electric bikes that look like and work similar to regular bikes.

lindsay

Postby lindsay » 11 Jun 2009, 11:23

Here's one of the nasty things... as seen in Parramatta yesterday

simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 11 Jun 2009, 12:05

Eeeek! That is indeed a horrid-looking contraption. I imagine it smells terrible and makes an awful noise as well.

Return to “Conversation”