Christmas to New Year holidays - Tour de Disneyland!

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
G

Postby G » 16 Oct 2009, 16:40

The Christmas is on Friday 25, and there are three working days in the week after. If you can take them off from your workplace, you have 10 holidays! That's a lot of holidays to spend sitting at home doing obscene things with ourselves. So I am thinking of riding from Sydney to Perth in 10 days. Well, maybe extending a bit further south to Hobart and meet some Disneyland people.

Oh... the Perth I am talking about is the one in Tasmania. Wot were you thinking! :lol:

The itinerary would look something like this:
Leaving Sydney on 25th and reaching Melbourne on 29th averaging 200km/day (7hours ride time).
30th is the rest day, but we can wander around in the Melbourne city depending on how we feeling. Take a ferry to Devenport at night.
31st: Start at Devenport and reach Hobart on 2nd Jan 2010.
Fly back to Sydney on 3rd. Just checked the virgin blue flights are around $350 at the moment.

Is it something that you would like to do? Well, it is likely that I am not the first person to plan a ride during these holidays. You might have already thought of some other route (or maybe you have a family!). I am up for almost anything interesting during that time. Please feel free to share here.
Last edited by G on 19 Oct 2009, 23:02, edited 1 time in total.

timyone

Postby timyone » 19 Oct 2009, 22:28

i cant get time off, or i would be in for it

G

Postby G » 19 Oct 2009, 22:55

i cant get time off, or i would be in for it
Tim
Like your attitude. You are always up for a sport [:)]

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 19 Oct 2009, 23:12

Looks like fun, but i'll be stuck at work. :(

What route are you planning to take?
When we rode to Melbourne in February i mapped out the most interesting route i could find (probably the hardest as well :wink: ), but we did take a little more time getting there.

G

Postby G » 19 Oct 2009, 23:14

Looks like fun, but i'll be stuck at work. :(

What route are you planning to take?
When we rode to Melbourne in February i mapped out the most interesting route i could find (probably the hardest as well :wink: ), but we did take a little more time getting there.
I was thinking to go along the coast. I guess it has plenty of hills too. How did you guys organise accommodation? Did you just knock on the doors of locals and asked them if they would let you spend the night at their house etc?

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 20 Oct 2009, 05:59

It might be better to ride in the opposite direction, due to the wind

G

Postby G » 20 Oct 2009, 09:07

It might be better to ride in the opposite direction, due to the wind
That's an excellent point Michael. But for some unknown reason, it is more fun going away from home than going towards home. On the positive side, wind will only help me tweak my TT aero position.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 20 Oct 2009, 09:53

I organised the accomodation before we left. Though we did have to re-organise a couple of places due to a route change as a result of the bush fires. We had a group of 6, so it did make accomodation a bit cheaper.

Julio

Postby Julio » 20 Oct 2009, 10:01

you're crazy in the coconut :shock: ...but I like it :D

G

Postby G » 20 Oct 2009, 10:29

you're crazy in the coconut :shock: ...but I like it :D
lol... Ironman Australia is in March, so I guess I should use these holidays to build up endurance for the 180km cycling leg. :wink:

G

Postby G » 20 Oct 2009, 10:32

I organised the accomodation before we left. Though we did have to re-organise a couple of places due to a route change as a result of the bush fires. We had a group of 6, so it did make accomodation a bit cheaper.
T-bone!
Wot is the best route you mapped? I was thinking to do something like this along the coast:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... 349854&z=7

...but I have no clue how to go about finding accommodation in the tiny miny villages where I have planned to stay. :roll:

PeterOS

Postby PeterOS » 20 Oct 2009, 12:17

I'll be working over the holidays, but I was hoping the ride to Perth would be on again as it was last year for the Penny Farthing races ? :)

Julio

Postby Julio » 20 Oct 2009, 12:57

lol... Ironman Australia is in March, so I guess I should use these holidays to build up endurance for the 180km cycling leg. :wink:
You know there's a marathon at the end of that 180k yeah :shock: ...just thought I would remind you :lol: .

Hey we might want to come up and see the race again this year...my misses said my race time was crap last time and that I should do it again...this time more closer to daniel mcphersons race time lol chicks can be cruel and funny all in the same breath.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 20 Oct 2009, 15:05

This was our,planning the LOG, and Lindsay's CrazyGuy Journal

Our route was a bit longer than yours, ending up with over 1400km in melbourne even after taking a train past some fires.

For Accomodation, the only place that may be hard to find some will be Cann River(i haven't checked though), but of course, you should book in advance, as it saves stuffing around, especially in holiday season.

G

Postby G » 20 Oct 2009, 15:28

You know there's a marathon at the end of that 180k yeah :shock: ...just thought I would remind you :lol: .

Hey we might want to come up and see the race again this year...my misses said my race time was crap last time and that I should do it again...this time more closer to daniel mcphersons race time lol chicks can be cruel and funny all in the same breath.
McPherson does triathlon? ! :shock: :lol:

G

Postby G » 20 Oct 2009, 15:40

Come up to see wot race? Are you talking about Ironman Australia? Aren't you going to compete in it in March??!

G

Postby G » 20 Oct 2009, 15:48

This was our,planning the LOG, and Lindsay's CrazyGuy Journal

Our route was a bit longer than yours, ending up with over 1400km in melbourne even after taking a train past some fires.

For Accomodation, the only place that may be hard to find some will be Cann River(i haven't checked though), but of course, you should book in advance, as it saves stuffing around, especially in holiday season.
Dude! How did you get those elevation charts for your planned route? :o

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 20 Oct 2009, 15:57

Dude! How did you get those elevation charts for your planned route? :o
A bit of work, using mapmyride, then just print screen, and crop them. We didn't go up that big hill on the way to Bega, because i hadn't realised it was a gravel road.

Julio

Postby Julio » 20 Oct 2009, 16:00

McPherson does triathlon? ! :shock: :lol:
Things you should know about Daniel...from wiki

He was accepted into MENSA at the age of 10

was discovered while competing in the Kurnell triathlon in southern Sydney when he was 17

competed in Ironman Australia at Port Macquarie where he missed out on qualifying for the Ironman World Championship in Hawaii by only one spot. (I raced him in this race)

His swim time of 49:30 in Ironman New Zealand 2008 was the fastest in his age group and 8th fastest in the world.

In April 2009 MacPherson completed the China Ironman in Haikou. He completed the race in 11 hours and one minute, He came first in his 25-29 age group, qualifying him for the Hawaiian Ironman in October.

He finished hawaiian ironman in 10:32:28

Julio

Postby Julio » 20 Oct 2009, 16:04

Come up to see wot race? Are you talking about Ironman Australia? Aren't you going to compete in it in March??!
Port mac and no I have not planned on competing ironman oz next year...maybe ironman Coeur d'Alene or France next year as I MIGHT be in that part of the world. But no not in australia..been there done that next challenge please. :)

G

Postby G » 20 Oct 2009, 20:31

Port mac and no I have not planned on competing ironman oz next year...maybe ironman Coeur d'Alene or France next year as I MIGHT be in that part of the world. But no not in australia..been there done that next challenge please. :)
Ironman France would be a good challenge. 30km mountain climb, and 30km descend would not only be a performance challenge, but also means you can't eat or drink during that time. You climb the whole bloody mountain in the cycling leg in it :D

G

Postby G » 21 Oct 2009, 10:28

Things you should know about Daniel...from wiki

He was accepted into MENSA at the age of 10

was discovered while competing in the Kurnell triathlon in southern Sydney when he was 17

competed in Ironman Australia at Port Macquarie where he missed out on qualifying for the Ironman World Championship in Hawaii by only one spot. (I raced him in this race)

His swim time of 49:30 in Ironman New Zealand 2008 was the fastest in his age group and 8th fastest in the world.

In April 2009 MacPherson completed the China Ironman in Haikou. He completed the race in 11 hours and one minute, He came first in his 25-29 age group, qualifying him for the Hawaiian Ironman in October.

He finished hawaiian ironman in 10:32:28
wow! Didn't know all that about him. That's one impressive time mate. But hey, no one can qualify for Hawaii by clocking 11hours in Ironman Australia. Ironman China seems to be an easy ticket to Hawaii?!

G

Postby G » 26 Oct 2009, 12:59

Hi guys
Following is the tentative Tasmania leg of the tour, with overnight stops at Launceston, Bicheno and finish at Hobart (Perth doesn't look feasible on the route).

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... 674927&z=8

Since I have never ever been to Tasmania, I have no idea wot to expect. I don't mind mountain climbs, but if you have any suggestions from your experience about any areas I should include or exclude in this tour, then please advise.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 26 Oct 2009, 13:09

Hills
You'll be getting the most hills between Launceston and St Marys. 1st day shouldn't be much of a problem from memory. Also a couple of hills after Orford on Day 3.

Traffic
Road may be fairly busy on day 1 with trucks coming from devenport. Day 2 you may encounter a fair few log trucks, especially around Scottsdale. Day 3 should be mostly fine until you get closer to Hobart.

G

Postby G » 27 Oct 2009, 09:56

Hills
You'll be getting the most hills between Launceston and St Marys. 1st day shouldn't be much of a problem from memory. Also a couple of hills after Orford on Day 3.

Traffic
Road may be fairly busy on day 1 with trucks coming from devenport. Day 2 you may encounter a fair few log trucks, especially around Scottsdale. Day 3 should be mostly fine until you get closer to Hobart.
Thanks T-Bone
The second day looks hilly all the 234km it is. Can you also answer the following from your extensive riding experience:

Q1: Are there cycling lanes along the pacific Highway all the way from Sydney to Melbourne?

Q2: Are there cycling lanes in Tazie?

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 27 Oct 2009, 11:49

I hope you aren't planning on taking the Pacific Highway to Melbourne.

I assume you mean the Princess Highway, then the answer is no. I have ridden along it from Sydney to Melbourne, and after Wollongong/Shellharbour area, the road is often only a single lane each way.

James

G

Postby G » 27 Oct 2009, 14:32

I hope you aren't planning on taking the Pacific Highway to Melbourne.

I assume you mean the Princess Highway, then the answer is no. I have ridden along it from Sydney to Melbourne, and after Wollongong/Shellharbour area, the road is often only a single lane each way.

James
O ye ye, I meant the princess hwy :D

Is there a lot of traffic on princess highway south of Shellharbour? Just wondering how safe is it to ride on a single lane highway and share it with road trains :?

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 27 Oct 2009, 20:59

No cycling lanes anywhere, just occasionally a shoulder reasonable enough to ride on. You'll should be fine with the traffic, as trucks between syndey and melbourne will be on the Hume, and traffic may be reduced a little due to christmas/new years.

G

Postby G » 06 Nov 2009, 13:18

Update:
1) Booked my flight back from Hobart (The tour is definitely happening)
2) Ordered Garmin Edge 705 HRM/Cadence/GPS navigator/bike computer to train intelligently during the tour stages.

G

Postby G » 08 Nov 2009, 14:00

Hello cyclists
I will be b0oking accommodation in backpacker places over the next couple of weekends. If you are interested, this is the time to let me know. Anthony, make your mind mate. Tim, give me the contact of that cabbage you were talking about who is interested to do the tour.

Cheers
G

G

Postby G » 10 Nov 2009, 10:21

Update:
Garmin Edge 705 has arrived, but it is going to take me a bit while to understand, install and configure it.

I have sarted asking around people about the places of interest that fall on my route. So, if you have anything to suggest, then please copy paste the following section with your comments just like comments from one of my Tasie friend under the last three stages.

STAGE 1: SYDNEY TO ULLADULLA 223KM - 25 Dec
???

STAGE 2: ULLADULLA TO BEGA 199KM - 26 Dec
???

STAGE 3: BEGA TO CANN RIVER 163KM - 27 Dec
???

STAGE 4: CANN RIVER TO SALE 233KM - 28 Dec
???

STAGE 5: SALE TO MELBOURNE 237KM - 29 Dec
???

Rest Day - 30 Dec (Melbourne or Devonport?)
???

STAGE 6: DEVONPORT TO LAUNCESTON 100KM 31 Dec
There are quite a few really nice food places along the road here, especially in the area just out of Devonport.
Ashgrove Cheese - One of the best places to buy good Tasmanian Cheese. I think there is also a chocolate factory here as well (or nearby).
Christmas Hills Raspberry Farm - highly recommended.

STAGE 7: LAUNCESTON TO BICHENO 234KM
Myrtle Park - This is very close to where I grew up. Good spot to have a rest during your ride (big hills coming up straight after). A really nice river flows through there... (St Patrick's River)
No real other destinations on this leg, but heaps of great scenery both on the coast and on the way there. You should make sure that you check out some of the beaches along there - some very nice spots!

STAGE 8: BICHENO TO HOBART 181KM
If you get the chance, you should try and check out the Freycinet Peninsula - this is one of the best places in Tassie and really is worthwhile walking over to Wineglass Bay if you have the time...
Richmond - This is a really picturesque old town that is worth stopping at.
In Hobart, it is the best time of the year to be down there. As I said, there is a big food and wine festival that goes for a week called the "Taste of Tasmania" I think it goes until 3 Jan so you will be there in time for it. You can't miss it - it is down on the waterfront near Salamanca Place.

rick.polito

Postby rick.polito » 12 Nov 2009, 19:30

Garmin Edge 705 has arrived...
Hi G,

New toy! Where's the best place to buy it from? What maps did you buy?

Rick..

G

Postby G » 13 Nov 2009, 02:05

Hi G,

New toy! Where's the best place to buy it from? What maps did you buy?

Rick..
Hardly a toy, I really needed it for GPS navigation so that I dont get lost during this trip. Also, to work on my cadence over long rides so that my legs don't feel like a cabbage for a long run after that. I found this one as g0od deal (with maps):

Garmin Edge 705 with Heart Rate Monitor & Speed Cadence & free Topo DVD (Australian maps)

http://octapc.com.au/prod142.htm

If you ch0ose to buy from any European site, it would be worth keeping in mind that charger socket would be different.

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 13 Nov 2009, 06:09

And be aware that if you buy it from a US Store, that the charge may not be rated for 230V.

James

timyone

Postby timyone » 13 Nov 2009, 09:08

hey i now dont have the job constraints, but dont think i can afford to do this, dunno what job ill have at the time.
But im more of a maybe now :D
whats the estimation for cost?

I think i want to do christmas carnivals though, so this may also stop me being in

G

Postby G » 13 Nov 2009, 10:29

hey i now dont have the job constraints, but dont think i can afford to do this, dunno what job ill have at the time.
But im more of a maybe now :D
whats the estimation for cost?

I think i want to do christmas carnivals though, so this may also stop me being in
Flight $350/$400 (4th/3rd Jan)

stay at backpackers etc 8 nights x$25 = $200
Meals = 8x$25 = $200
Cheese at cheese factories at Bega, Tas; fruits at the farms on our way $20-$50?!
Spirit of Tas (ferry) $70?!
Basically, if you are in, you should budget $1000. Any strippers for you will be on top of that.

PS: There's no entry fee for the tour this year.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 13 Nov 2009, 12:08

bump up those food costs a bit, i know there's no way i'd only spend $25 a day, more likely $25 a meal, though by budgeting $50 is probably doable...... just

G

Postby G » 23 Nov 2009, 09:25

T-bone's budget on fo0d maybe more realistic. Also, the Spirit of Taz ferry ticket is $200 due to peak season.

Update:
Yesterday, Anthony rode from Marrickville to Waterfall and back twice. He started at 4am, and clocked 160km by 10:30am. I think it was an impressive effort. He may be riding the first five stages of the tour (Sydney to Melbourne)

I think there might be more people interested in doing the first couple of stages with us. The tour starts on Friday 25th December. If not the whole tour, you are welcome to join up to waterfall, or up to gong or up to Kiama and take a train back (?) or ride up tp and stay a night at Ulladulla.

Any takers?

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 23 Nov 2009, 10:24

I think there might be more people interested in doing the first couple of stages with us. The tour starts on Friday 25th December. If not the whole tour, you are welcome to join up to waterfall, or up to gong or up to Kiama and take a train back (?) or ride up tp and stay a night at Ulladulla.
I'll be thinking of you guys when I fly over G's bunch in the early morning, on my way to ADL and MEL. :lol: :lol: :lol:

orphic

Postby orphic » 23 Nov 2009, 10:31

Yesterday, Anthony rode from Marrickville to Waterfall and back twice. He started at 4am, and clocked 160km by 10:30am.
That sounds like my kind of crazy. Anthony if you are interested in doing this again, or perhaps even just doing a long ride further south starting crazy early, let me know!

G

Postby G » 23 Nov 2009, 11:18

That sounds like my kind of crazy. Anthony if you are interested in doing this again, or perhaps even just doing a long ride further south starting crazy early, let me know!
Yea, I think he's a bit crazy in the c0conut. He said it was harder than fixie century.

Anthony

Postby Anthony » 23 Nov 2009, 13:32

Paying the price for it today though, my left knee is hurting. I think i need to put my saddle up slightly and fix the positioning of my cleats. Hopefully i can do that at the track tonight.

The ride was to make up for a week of not riding due to exams. The plan was to wake up at 4:00am, leave at 4:15 and be back in Marrickville by 6:40 and catch up with one of the groups and do the second Waterfall ride in a bunch. Unfortunately i hit the snooze button and woke up at 4:15 and didn't leave the house until 4:40. Got back home at 7:15 for a soft drink and a change of bottles and stock up on some bars. Out the door again at 7:25 and back at the cafe at 10:20. Bike computer read 150km's at 28.3kph.

I'll let you know Victoria if i do this again. Probably will do this a few times leading up to Le Tour de Disneyland (in my case Le 5/8Tour de Disneyland).

orphic

Postby orphic » 23 Nov 2009, 13:37

I would be keen to ride to the Gong and back at some point soon if you're up for it. Dunno about getting up at 4am though, since my Saturday nights are all about track racing until Feb at the moment.

Anthony

Postby Anthony » 23 Nov 2009, 13:46

The gong and back sounds good, i'd be pretty keen on that. I'd prefer that than doing Waterfall twice. I've never ridden to Wollongong and don't know the way there though.

G

Postby G » 23 Nov 2009, 13:55

Paying the price for it today though, my left knee is hurting. I think i need to put my saddle up slightly and fix the positioning of my cleats. Hopefully i can do that at the track tonight.
Get glucosamine chondroitin msm powder from any stupid market and drink with milk everyday.
I'll let you know Victoria if i do this again. Probably will do this a few times leading up to Le Tour de Disneyland (in my case Le 5/8Tour de Disneyland).
Didn't know orphic was Vic :shock:

G

Postby G » 25 Nov 2009, 13:20

The gong and back sounds good, i'd be pretty keen on that. I'd prefer that than doing Waterfall twice. I've never ridden to Wollongong and don't know the way there though.
Anthony
It's 25th Nov. Can you please confirm today? I want to start booking accommodations.

Anthony

Postby Anthony » 25 Nov 2009, 21:58

Hey G.

Count me in for Sydney to Melbourne :) I'll book my flight home from Tullamarine on Saturday as i'm not sure whether to take the 30th or 31st back.

Anthony

Postby Anthony » 25 Nov 2009, 22:19

Also any recommendation on the best time, date and airline to purchase my flight back?

G

Postby G » 26 Nov 2009, 10:21

Also any recommendation on the best time, date and airline to purchase my flight back?
Just had a quick look, Virgin Blue flights are the cheapest with $85 on 31st Dec. Add $8 for checkin luggage (your bicycle)

I am booking accommodation for you at stops.

G

Postby G » 26 Nov 2009, 14:17

Anthony

Booked two beds at:
1) Couldnt find backpackers at Ulladulla for the Christmas night. Booked a motel room.
2) Bega for 26th night (backpackers)
3) Cann River for 27th (motel)
4) Maffra (Near Sale) for 28th (backpackers)

## Haven't booked accommodation at Melbourne yet. When is your return flight?

Anthony

Postby Anthony » 26 Nov 2009, 17:26

Nice. The motels are good. They're still relatively cheap so it's all good.
Booked my flight with Virgin Blue, Melbourne to Sydney on Wednesday 30th December departing at 20:15.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 26 Nov 2009, 22:34

Looking to be a great trip. Hopefully the weather will be great, and the winds kind.

G

Postby G » 27 Nov 2009, 11:07

Thanks T-Bone! I am really looking forward to it :D

G

Postby G » 27 Nov 2009, 11:11

One of the triathletes did some calculations for me:
I have done some calculations for you to help with your estimations. You have already found out the actual distances between each of the towns, but what I have work out is what the equivalent distance woul be if it was dead flat.

The total distance if it was dead flat is around 2,325km compared to the actual 1762km that the maps say.

I have also done some calculations to help you estimate how long each day will take if you average 200 Watts (average of 7:43:49 per day), 150 Watts (average of 9:13:25 per day) or 100 Watts (average of 12:59:33 per day).

These all take into account the hills that you will be riding across as well

Let me know if you have any questions, or if you think that you will average higher than 200 Watts per day.

Sydney to Ulladulla
200 Watts 7:24:51
150 Watts 8:30:22
100 Watts 11:39:47

Ulladulla to Bega
200 Watts 10:48:48
150 Watts 13:02:58
100 Watts 18:32:29

Bega to Cann River
200 Watts 8:07:19
150 Watts 9:47:58
100 Watts 13:54:31

Cann River to Sale
200 Watts 7:11:46
150 Watts 8:44:24
100 Watts 12:28:22

Sale to Melb
200 Watts 9:44:37
150 Watts 11:37:34
100 Watts 16:21:49

Melb to Devonport
200 Watts 8:21:59
150 Watts 9:44:29
100 Watts 13:29:03

Devonport to Launceston
200 Watts 3:45:11
150 Watts 4:23:06
100 Watts 6:05:38

Launceston to Bicheno
200 Watts 7:17:22
150 Watts 8:58:00
100 Watts 12:52:05

Bicheno to Hobart
200 Watts 6:52:27
150 Watts 8:11:54
100 Watts 11:32:17

Cann River to Sale
Total Distance 168
Total Equivalent Flat Distance 245

Sale to Melb
Total Distance 245
Total Equivalent Flat Distance 326

Devonport to Launceston
Total Distance 105
Total Equivalent Flat Distance 123

Launceston to Bicheno
Total Distance 150
Total Equivalent Flat Distance 251

Bicheno to Hobart
Total Distance 174
Total Equivalent Flat Distance 230

G

Postby G » 01 Dec 2009, 15:47

Update:
Booked accommodation at stops in Tasmania.
Still haven't booked accommodation at Melbourne.

The Smuggler Plan:

1) Will send clothes to Melbourne at some mate's joint as I will need them to board ferry to Devonport.
2) On landing at Devonport, I will post them at Hobart where I will need them for boarding the aeroplane
3) There's a local triathlon in Hobart on 3rd. It might be ideal event to finish the epic ride and meet some local triathletes.

G

Postby G » 02 Dec 2009, 14:29

Just enquired Qantas sells cardboard bike box at Hobart airport @$16.50. That will help me pack my bike for the flight back to Sydney.

Would anyone know whether I'd need a bike box for spirit of tasmania ferry as well or I can just carry my bike on it?

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 02 Dec 2009, 15:51

G, just be careful of posting your belongings during all these public holidays. Australia and alot of other services shut down and may leave you clothes-less and stranded.

G

Postby G » 02 Dec 2009, 16:03

G, just be careful of posting your belongings during all these public holidays. Australia and alot of other services shut down and may leave you clothes-less and stranded.
O yea! Thanks for the heads up Rainbow! Never thought of that!! It's certainly a risk. Do couriers like DHL operate over christmas - new year holidays?

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 02 Dec 2009, 16:33

You don't need a bike box for the Ferry, they go in a nice cosy room.

For the clothing, i'm sure someone operates, provided you pay. Have you considered using a trunk bag (goes on top of a rack, maintains aerodynamics somewhat)?? You can even get seatpost mounted ones. Won't slow you down too much, or if your bike has rack mounting points i could lend you one (bag isn't too big, but you can tie things on).

G

Postby G » 04 Dec 2009, 10:35

You don't need a bike box for the Ferry, they go in a nice cosy room.

For the clothing, i'm sure someone operates, provided you pay. Have you considered using a trunk bag (goes on top of a rack, maintains aerodynamics somewhat)?? You can even get seatpost mounted ones. Won't slow you down too much, or if your bike has rack mounting points i could lend you one (bag isn't too big, but you can tie things on).
Actually, I just want to get the thrill of leaving all my worldly belongings behind and go smuggling budgy for five days. It's an amazing feeling.

Carrying clothes in trunk bag will beat the purpose. But hey, thank you for offering to lend it to me! :)

G

Postby G » 04 Dec 2009, 15:33

Stage1: Sydney to Ulladulla (Ride day 25 Dec 2009)
This is how it looks like. The final couple of k's is a descend. So expect a sprint finish. Any comments?

G

Postby G » 08 Dec 2009, 15:04

Anthony,
Couldnt get free accommodation from my contacts. So booked accommodation at Melbourne's south bank for 29th. There are some local triathletes interested to catch up with us. We are gonna have a party that day [:)]

Anthony

Postby Anthony » 09 Dec 2009, 21:34

Nice, sounds great. I'll be back in Sydney on Friday morning and back on the bike. I also need to get a rack for my bike. Any good suggestions?

G

Postby G » 11 Dec 2009, 12:42

Anthony,
I am doing the tour in budgy smugglers. I would highly recommend you to do it in budgy smugglers as well, otherwise, you will really regret on missing the fun. I will get my stock (masculine pink) on Tuesday. Have a look at various colours and designs and advise which one would you like to do the tour in (it will be free for you).

http://budgysmuggler.com.au/smugglers/

Anthony

Postby Anthony » 11 Dec 2009, 13:40

Lol, you may be able to convince me to do one leg in budgy smugglers, but i don't think i can do the whole tour in budgy smugglers. I NEED the padding that my knicks provide, especially after reading Toff's fixie century ride report.

G

Postby G » 11 Dec 2009, 13:47

Lol, you may be able to convince me to do one leg in budgy smugglers, but i don't think i can do the whole tour in budgy smugglers. I NEED the padding that my knicks provide, especially after reading Toff's fixie century ride report.
Get a split seat saddle and you don't need the padding. I did a ride from Sydney to Port Macquarie in Budgy Smugglers in April when I bought the road bike, and the guy who was riding with me regretted big time for missing all the fun and being asked why they were overdressed. How about you try Saturday slowies or Sunday's RNP ride in budgy smugglers and see?

Let's make tomorrow's slowies ride a budgy smuggler ride?

G

Postby G » 11 Dec 2009, 13:54

This is how it looks like. The final couple of k's is a descend. So expect a sprint finish. Any comments?

I think the road after Stanwell Tops is more or less flat. Don't see any major concern. Wot say?

G

Postby G » 11 Dec 2009, 14:20

Stage 2: Ulladulla to Bega 200km - 26 Dec 2009
Well, this is 200km of hills :?

timyone

Postby timyone » 11 Dec 2009, 14:28

sprint finish? make it a no handed sprint :D Me and Lindsey have had some hard fought no handed sprints onin our travels, just remember to designate a finish line like a welcome to #### sign, before you start sprinting.

timyone

Postby timyone » 11 Dec 2009, 14:29

mate one f the biggest challenges to the first 5 days touring is your butt!!

G

Postby G » 11 Dec 2009, 15:31

sprint finish? make it a no handed sprint :D Me and Lindsey have had some hard fought no handed sprints onin our travels, just remember to designate a finish line like a welcome to #### sign, before you start sprinting.
No handed sprint?! lol! Since last few KMs are downhill, we can make it a no paddle sprint finish [:p]

Anthony

Postby Anthony » 11 Dec 2009, 18:28

Alright, Tour in budgy smugglers it is. Can't decide which colour to do it in, Fabio (pink) or Red Herring :? I'm gonna have a look at a better saddle. Can we make next Saturday a budgy smuggler slowies?

G

Postby G » 11 Dec 2009, 18:51

Alright, Tour in budgy smugglers it is. Can't decide which colour to do it in, Fabio (pink) or Red Herring :? I'm gonna have a look at a better saddle. Can we make next Saturday a budgy smuggler slowies?
Which Saturday? 12th (tomorrow) or 19th?

Anthony

Postby Anthony » 11 Dec 2009, 21:24

19th. I'm almost ready for the tour. I've ordered a seat post rack for the bike and a new saddle. Now all i need is to do a few big rides and let you guys decide on which budgy smugglers. Are there any rules G? Am i allowed a wind jacket on the decents or do i put newspaper down the budgy smugglers to shelter from the wind?

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 11 Dec 2009, 22:09

Don't do it Anthony. The chaffing you will get from a long ride will even make it uncomfortable returning back to knicks, at least until he sores have healed.

I haven't even gotten on to the increased costs of sunscreen for the trip. :wink:

geoffs

Postby geoffs » 14 Dec 2009, 22:23

Anthony,
If you haven't already bought a seatpost rack, we have one that you are welcome to borrow.
Chafe is a really bad thing. I like my padded nicks

G

Postby G » 15 Dec 2009, 15:26

Stage 2: Ulladulla to Bega 200km - 26 Dec 2009
Well, this is 200km of hills :?
Here are rest of the stages:
Stage 3: Bega to Cann River 161.5km

Stage 4: Cann River to Maffra 231km

Stage 5: Maffra to Melbourne 231km

Stage 6: Devonport to Launceston 104km

Stage 7: Launceston to Bicheno 219km

Stage 8: Bicheno to Hobart 179km
Last edited by G on 17 Dec 2009, 22:04, edited 3 times in total.

G

Postby G » 15 Dec 2009, 15:31

It seems that Stage 5 will be the longest day, and stage 8 will be the toughest with two long and steep (6% and 7% gradient) climbs! I bet Anthony is feeling happy reading this?! :roll:

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 15 Dec 2009, 15:41

... stage 8 will be the toughest with two long and steep (6% and 7% gradient) climbs! I bet Anthony is feeling happy reading this?! :roll:
The climb out from the bottom of Waterfall hill to Stanwell Tops is around 6%. So it's hardly steep by common reference. 10+% is steep.

G

Postby G » 15 Dec 2009, 15:58

The climb out from the bottom of Waterfall hill to Stanwell Tops is around 6%. So it's hardly steep by common reference. 10+% is steep.
I think the steepness scale on elevation chart peaks at 7%. So even if it is more than 7%, it will only show 7% colouration innit?! Hmm, well, I guess that hill at 150km on stage 8 is the last hill challenge of the tour.

Anthony

Postby Anthony » 15 Dec 2009, 16:04

Weeehu! no 7+% for me.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 15 Dec 2009, 16:05

In that case you can go fixed

Anthony

Postby Anthony » 15 Dec 2009, 16:49

Fixie budgie smuggler ride would be the ultimate challenge.

Anthony

Postby Anthony » 15 Dec 2009, 17:01

Are the graphs correct?, stage 4 is the exact copy of stage 3. Also stage 6 looks similar to stage 5.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 16 Dec 2009, 12:57

I think the steepness scale on elevation chart peaks at 7%. So even if it is more than 7%, it will only show 7% colouration innit?! Hmm, well, I guess that hill at 150km on stage 8 is the last hill challenge of the tour.
Not true - the gradients shown only go up to the max gradient of your route so if it had 10% or 12% in it, you'd see it.

G

Postby G » 17 Dec 2009, 16:20

Not true - the gradients shown only go up to the max gradient of your route so if it had 10% or 12% in it, you'd see it.
Yup you are right Stuart. It adjusts all the scales to the min max of the route.

G

Postby G » 17 Dec 2009, 16:20

Are the graphs correct?, stage 4 is the exact copy of stage 3. Also stage 6 looks similar to stage 5.
Corrected now!

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 17 Dec 2009, 18:40

Stages 6 & 7 looked identical.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 17 Dec 2009, 21:42

as Weiyun said, stage 7 is wrong.

G

Postby G » 17 Dec 2009, 22:07

Yup, corrected. That is some serious gradient on stage 8 at 162km mark! Total ascend is 1234m... that's a funny number 1234!

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 17 Dec 2009, 23:19

Don't let your Gall get busted from that gradient!!

Or Break your Neck!!

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 18 Dec 2009, 08:14

Yup, corrected. That is some serious gradient on stage 8 at 162km mark!
It's only 5%! Even CP's Sprinter Hill hits a higher gradient than that. :P

timyone

Postby timyone » 18 Dec 2009, 08:55

lol man i love those hills?!
seriously thinking back to that melbourne ride we did was crazy! there were times i thought we may die?! Through the mountains especially when we ran out of water, then through the bush fires and 45 degree heat?!

G

Postby G » 18 Dec 2009, 09:51

lol man i love those hills?!
seriously thinking back to that melbourne ride we did was crazy! there were times i thought we may die?! Through the mountains especially when we ran out of water, then through the bush fires and 45 degree heat?!

Jeez Tim, you make the road to Melbourne sound like Highway to Hell. I think it's more than just coincidence that a Melbourne based band wrote it. I'm on the highway to hell
No stop signs, speed limit
Nobody's gonna slow me down
Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Nobody's gonna mess me round
Hey Satan, payed my dues
Playing in a rocking band
Hey Momma, look at me
I'm on my way to the promised land
I'm on the highway to hell

timyone

Postby timyone » 18 Dec 2009, 10:15

nah man i loved it!! its one of my life achievements! and it makes me want to try more of it!! (maybe over seas?)

yewenyi

Postby yewenyi » 25 Dec 2009, 06:04

They have left!

Michael Chidgey

Postby Michael Chidgey » 25 Dec 2009, 09:19

must of been cold.....

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 25 Dec 2009, 11:04

must of been cold.....
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Anthony

Postby Anthony » 29 Dec 2009, 05:35

Completed 4 stages, at Maffra and on our way to Melbourne. 230kms to go.

Julio

Postby Julio » 29 Dec 2009, 08:39

Just spoke to Gi and they are in Morwell having breakfast. Only 200km to melbourne...and tomas is out of singles.

Return to “Conversation”